Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All that's gold... Mid-evening (day 2) open

2 posters

Go down

All that's gold...  Mid-evening (day 2) open Empty All that's gold... Mid-evening (day 2) open

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:07 am

After a long day of festivities many people went to the drunken huntsman to wind down from a long day of activities. Among these were Yoren, looking quite ragged from the day.
Drinking slowly from a tankard, sitting close to the fireplace and in his big robes, he seemed like a man twice his age, with little of the spry virility that should have been present.

Last edited by 145 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

All that's gold...  Mid-evening (day 2) open Empty Re: [D2, ME] All that's Gold

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:17 am

"
A man should never drink alone."
came a cheerful voice. Yoren looked up to see Nathan smiling at him. "
And I believe you owe me a drink."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

All that's gold...  Mid-evening (day 2) open Empty Re: All that's gold... Mid-evening (day 2) open

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:29 am

Yoren smiles and motions for a free chair: "
Good evening to you, take a seat and join me, drinks are on me tonight."
Yoren smiles:
"
maybe in exchange you would tell me your story? You haggle like a merchant, but you got no wares, you know of armour, yet you do not look like a warrior, you are a mystery that I have been unsuccessfully pondering on for the entire day, without me finding the answer. "

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

All that's gold...  Mid-evening (day 2) open Empty Re: All that's gold... Mid-evening (day 2) open

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:38 am

Nathan orders a cider from a nearby girl. At Yoren's look he smiles. "
I spend a lot of time in places like this. If I drank anything stronger I'd be passed out every night."
sitting down in the offered chair he grins. "
Sometimes I ponder myself and fail to find an answer, but for the most part I am a man that takes pleasure in lifting the burdens of others, if only for a short time.

You, for example, seem weary tonight. Are you weary of the body, mind or heart;
and how can I perhaps relieve you of some of your burden?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:49 am

Yoren smiles: "
Have you ever tried to make friends with both the ironborn and the riverlanders? I'm going to try just that, and it is those efforts that leaves me so tired."

"
I'm trying to get the iron born to become a modern country, not dependent on war and strife to Provide for itself, but it seems like trying to make a cat to stop eating meat- it is impossible."

Yoren throws his hands in the air: "
tell me: what is your goal at this tourney?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:04 am

"
My goal is largely to meet new people, make new friends, have new experiences... perhaps learn something along the way."

Nathan laughed. "
Your problem, Yoren, is you don't know the secret. Shall I tell you?"
He leans conspiratorially to the man and says in a mock whisper, "
The Ironborn and the Riverlanders are exactly the same."
He leans back again with a grin. "
All of Westeros is built on the strong taking from the weak, my friend, don't let the Riverlanders fool you into thinking otherwise with their pageantry and fine chivalry. They may use sweeter words, and they may wear shinier armor, but underneath they are quite happy to do whatever they need to protect what they have and take what they desire. One of them may even try to take a crown if given half the chance. I haven't had much dealing with the Ironborn, but from what I can see, they at least have the benefit of honesty. They do what everyone else does, they just don't make a lot of pretense about it, or feel the need to make excuses."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:30 am

Yoren nods at the young lads words: "
Aye they'll both rob you blind given the choice, but the riverlanders see the use for trade, which Irobborn often struggles a lot more with. They may be just the same, but the riverlanders has a better culture to create abundance in. They trade and makes agreements. If you had come to an ironislander merchant like you did yesterday, you better hope that you run faster than him, if not you would have to pay the iron price ."

"
Gaining friends and experience? I guess you have already achieved your goals then."
Yoren looks at the boy: "
where do you come from, if I may ask? Tour accent is quite hard to place."
He frowns: "
Or maybe I've been gone for to long to recognise it?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:07 am

"
Your right of course."
shrugs Nathan. "
I can admire the men even if I disagree with the method."

Nathan takes a sip of his cider. "
I was born in the Crownlands, but I lived in the Reach for many years. I grew up in Highgarden for most of my life. I miss it, to be honest. It's beautiful country. Orchards and barley fields that you can ride through for days. The people there are good. Hard working. They spend their days in a peaceful routine, keeping largely to themselves and their own business, and ignoring the business of others. That's the common people anyway. I don't expect the nobles there are much different than nobles anywhere else. There are the usually plots and intrigues, but when a plot in Highgarden gets out of hand, it's usually settled without involving the smallfolk. Battles and wars are generally avoided. Battles destroy crops and wars get your farmers killed.

Now I work for the Rutting Boar on House Bartheld lands. It's satisfying work for the most part. Since those at Hart House actively avoid getting our young men killed, we have a rather large supply that often need to let off steam, and often have very little else to spend their free coin on. Most of the time all a young man needs is a pretty girl to tell him he's handsome, give him a massage after a hard days work, listen to his worries. The average farm boy usually has no shortage of milk maids to assist him should he want a roll in the hayloft, but at the Boar he gets much more for his coin, and no angry fathers with pitch forks."

Edit: [OOC: I have been operating under the impression that the Barthelds are sworn to the Tyrells, but that turns out not to be the case. They are, in fact, sworn to the Tullys. I have edited the above to reflect that.]

Last edited by 119 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:28 am

Yoren looks into the fire "
working through the day and sleeping through the night, that is the way we should all live. We have much to learn from the farmers. They keep the world fed, but get so little in return. The world would be a lot better if farmers were in charge. Maesters resides in Oldtown do they not? Why is it that highgarden is a more renowned city, when oldtown has the faith headquarters and the maester hedquarters? I have always thought it strange."

"
I agree with the reach there: Violence should not be used for political disagreements, it creates too much suffering."

Yoren looks up at the boy again: "
The rutting boar is quite the clever name for such an establishment, I guess that you hope for Davain to not become the Lord of the lands, if that is your profession."
He smiles at the young man: "
however if Davain do become the lord, know that you will be welcome to my lands, if you so desire."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:02 am

"
On the contrary, my friend. I think Davain is the much better choice. Does that surprise you?"
Nathan grins over his cider. "
Aside from being the rightful Lord by birth, he is a good man and cares a great deal about his people. That goes a very long way in my book.

Should he shower wealth on a bunch of freeloading guests that give him nothing in return but empty flattery and promises they may never fulfill? Should he treat his home like a brothel when there is a perfectly serviceable one a few miles up the road that has the facilities and the experienced staff to cater to those needs? Several have argued to me that if he is Lord he will put an end to the Boar, but I see not indication of that. I think it's perfectly reasonable he doesn't want drunken party guests fornicating on his front lawn. It seems to me the House could use a bit more prudence and even handedness. Let him clean his house if he likes. The Boar will happily welcome anyone who is no longer comfortable at Hart House, and I expect his Lordship may be grateful that we are willing to take them off his hands."

Intrigue

Disposition: Amiable
Objective: Convince Yoren that Davain is the better choice for Lord of House Bartheld
Initiative: Eloquent
Intrigue Defense: 9
Composure: 9
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:27 am

Yoren thinks for a moment: "
Yes your support of Davain does surprise me, I would think that he would run you out of business, but what do I know? I know that for Davain the most important task will be to find lords that might ally with him. I know that he is the best candidate and maybe I'll be willing to support him, given the right incentives for my house."

Disposition: Amiable
Objective: Find out how Nathaniel may assist Yoren later on, for now friendship. Is the name of the game.
Initiative: last
Intrigue Defense: 9
Composure: 15

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:03 am

"
Well, I understand Davain to be an honorable man, and certainly more direct. His hobby is blacksmithing, if you can believe it. I am led to believe he is quite good. He's reputed to have a genial nature. I expect he would listen to whatever you had to say, and I expect you would have no doubt where he stands."

[url=D2-Yoren-Exchange 1-Convince][/url]: 5d6k4 [url=BoA][/url]: 1d6 +1 19

3 DoS (9 Composure before DR)
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:11 am

"
Blacksmithing? Interesting, considering you support him and he seems to be a quite good candidate, and also important: the the true heir. do you think you could get me an audience with him, so that I may talk to him face to face, then I may call you a true friend indeed. Both for helping me, but more so for going out of your way to assist your true lord. There is no virtue above Loyalty. "

Ooc
yield terms: you set up a meeting and we may discuss supporting each other, I increase to friendly, otherwise, I'll have 9 hp left.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:32 am

"
Well..."
Nathan considered for a moment. "
Obviously the Lord and I don't normally travel in the same circles, but I think a meeting should be possible. I can certainly see what I can do."

[OOC: Darn it. That's a perfectly reasonable yield offer, so I have to accept Very Happy My only condition is that you would have to come to the meeting. The location, day and time slot would be up to Reader and possibly beyond my control. Is that okay with you?]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:01 am

"
I'm looking forward to it, now hear the story of how I escaped a bravoosi sellsword company using 10 stags and half a gallon of milk...."

OOC:
I had no choice, you would have thrashed me completely!
Terms are agreed, I increase to friendly. I will meet up, unless that slot is already filled, or I have promised away that slot, and so will you, right?

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:17 am

Yoren longshore wrote:OOC: I had no choice, you would have thrashed me completely!
Terms are agreed, I increase to friendly. I will meet up, unless that slot is already filled, or I have promised away that slot, and so will you, right?

[OOC: Possibly, but it would probably be akin to chopping down an oak with a hand axe. I'll try to arrange something for Day 3. Yes, I will be there. We can work the details out with Reader next week.]

Nathan listened to Yoren story with a wide grin. As good as he was at talking, he was an even better listener. It was obvious that Nathan loved to hear about people. How they lived their lives, both their triumphs and their disappointments. He knew little about the Ironborn or Essos and drank in stories of both.

"
You have led such a full life Yoren. I do not think I would be suited to a life such as yours, but I would be lying if I denied the attraction."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:29 am

Yoren grins at him: "
The attraction only lasts till your first day without food, after that the only thing that keeps you going is your pride, please, stay in your line of work, there are travellers who would kill for having a bed to sleep in."
Yoren looks up at the lad again: "
You have to have some stories, would you mind sharing one with me?"

OOC
sounds good, end the scene, with two guys talking in front of the fire, waiting for others to join or do you want more intrigues?

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:44 am

"
Well... I do have one or two stories I can share without breaching any confidences."
Nathan gives Yoren a wry grin.

[OOC: No, we are good. We should probably keep the thread open in case anyone wants to talk to one or both of us.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down