Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D7, LE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D7, LE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed) Empty [D7, LE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:26 pm

After her dance with Jon Cobb ends, Corrine takes a wander around the room, having another drink and scanning the crowd. Eventually, she spies Nathaniel Mason with Ser Jon Roxton.

Best have a word with him. See if he knows what the Wrecker is up to.

She glides over to them with a congenial smile.

"
Nathan! Lovely to see you again!"

Last edited by 151 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D7, LE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed) Empty Re: [D7, EE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54 pm

"
Lady Corrine. A pleasure to see you."

Nathan kisses her hand. A light brush of the lips.

"
I'm not sure if you have been formally introduced. Lady Corrine Masten, this is Ser Jon Roxton."
Nathan smiles in the direction of his companion.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D7, LE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed) Empty Re: [D7, EE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:02 pm

She gives Ser Jon a warm smile and a respectful curtsey;

"
We had not yet been introduced. A pleasure to meet you, Ser Jon. Are you both enjoying yourselves?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:49 am

"
I understand congratulations are in order, my Lady."
smiles Nathan warmly. "
Ser Benedict is a lucky man -- and you too I think. I expect you both will be very happy. My gut tells me you will challenge each other in all the best ways."
He raises his glass to the young woman in a silent toast.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:23 am

"
Thank you very much, Nathan. We are delighted, and very excited about the wedding. May we all be so lucky to find someone who completes us."

She raises her own glass to his, smiling at him and Ser Jon.

"
I heard that Davain and Fendrel are resolving their differences. I am glad that conflict has been avoided."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:06 pm

"
That is certainly my hope, Lady Corrine,"
says Nathan with a small smirk, "
but I don't think I will celebrate quite yet."

"
It's just a shame the conflict arose at all. Lord Brom had often made remarks that seemed to assume Davain would succeed him, but never put his wishes to paper. The old man had a good heart, but formalities were never his strong suit. I suppose that is a lesson to all of us. That such circumstances happened was unfortunate considering how little effort was needed to prevent it."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:52 pm

"
I quite agree,"
Corrine nods. "
Speaking of Lord Brom, I have been asked by Ser Jon Cobb to support a petition to have Brom pardoned by the King. Is he doing so with the authority of House Bartheld?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:26 am

"
'Authority' is somewhat in short supply in House Bartheld at the moment,"
replies Nathan with a grin, "
but that is one of the very few areas that both Jon Cobb and I agree. I am not happy, of course, that Brom abandoned his responsibilities, but men do foolish things when they are in love, and there are worse pursuits. The Barthelds, except for Davain, have always been ruled by their hearts over their heads."
Nathan shrugged. "
I liked the old man. I don't agree with what he did, but I understand why he did it. I would not want to see him persecuted because he chose to follow his heart, even if it was a very selfish choice."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:27 am

"
What was his crime?"
Corrine asks, quietly.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:59 am

"
My Lady, he isn't guilty of any crime as I would define the term."

Nathan sighed. "
My Lady, the nobility relies on the belief that they are special. That they are born into wealth and privilege and deserving of such simply because of their bloodline. The commoners support this view. Some because it is what they have been taught. Some because to say differently would be to invite severe reprisals. Some because it is better to live with the evils we know then the evils we don't.

What Lord Brom did was almost unforgivable in the eyes of many nobles. He walked away from his power, his prestige, his nobility. It's almost unprecedented. By doing so, he showed that there are things more important than nobility. He put his desire for a woman above his place in society. He cast aside his birthright for his own selfish desires. Such a defection would not only be scandalous but also a threat. If nobles can turn their backs on their responsibilities and suddenly become commoners, then perhaps all nobles are not nearly as divinely blessed as they would like everyone to believe.

The nobles do not condemn him, my Lady, because of what he did, they condemn him because what he did threatens their own power and prestige. The last thing most nobles wants if for the rest of the world to realize they are just as flawed as everyone else, and perhaps not as deserving of their elevated position in society as everyone... and they would like believe."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:13 am

Corrine listens intently. When Nathan finishes, her expression is thoughtful, and when she replies, it is quiet and careful.

"
I am somewhat confused. Surely it would have been easier for him to pursue this woman from his position of prestige. Why abandon it when it is an attractive prospect that could have helped his case?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Nathan shrugged. "
I cannot say. By all accounts Brom enjoyed his position. He would only sacrifice it if it stood in the way of his relationship... or if stepping down averted a greater scandal. Perhaps the Tullisons would know. You asked what crime he committed, and why he stepped down as Lord. Despite my connections, I have discovered no reason other than Yve Tullison. I could speculate, of course, but I don't think that would be fair to him or to you. There are plenty of others who are willing to spin idle rumor in the absence of facts. I am generally not one of them."

They young man smiles. "
Perhaps he is guilty of some crime that none of us know. I could name several standing in this room who are probably guiltier of much worse than anything Brom was capable of. As much as it pains me to agree with Jon Cobb, in the absence of any evidence, or even an aggrieved victim, Brom has probably suffered enough for his choices. House Bartheld certainly has."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Corrine nods in understanding.

"
I am certainly not interested in baseless rumours. It is heartening to know that neither are you. I can certainly understand Lord Brom's desire to follow his heart. Assuming he has committed no crimes, I too do not see why he should not be pardoned, should he wish to be. I simply am wary of the Wrecker, as he has been sniffing around my mother and cousin in ways I find concerning, so I wished to speak with you on the matter of Lord Brom, in the event I was being misled. I fear I lack your subtlety though."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:49 pm

"
Discretion is a vital skill in my line of work, Lady Corrine. A man like I would lose his customers at the very least, and perhaps much more. I often have to walk a very fine line. I think you would be capable of great subtlety should you need it. Indeed, I think you to be a capable woman in many respects.

As far as Ser Jon Cobb, I will do him the courtesy he has neglected to do me and not try and colour your outlook of him with my own opinion. I will only say that a woman should never ignore her intuition or a man his gut. It is often telling us truths our mind has yet to understand."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Corrine nods sagely.

"
You are wise beyond your years, Nathan. I shall take your counsel to heart. I hope that, despite the shift in our plans, that we may remain friendly. House Bartheld requires strong leadership, regardless of who brings it."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:45 am

"
Our circumstances have not changed, Lady Corrine, and I always hold to my agreements. You and Edmund have publicly supported Lord Davain and for that I am grateful, even if that support becomes unnecessary. Ser Jon has pledged to aid you with your barbarian problem, and I am looking forward to seeing your beautiful country."

Nathan looks thoughtful for a moment. "
Tell me... has anyone tried negotiating with these barbarians? They are, after all, people. I have never met a barbarian, but I have had to deal with my share of Ironborn over the years, and they strike me as similar, at least by reputation. I am sure Ser Jon is eminently capable of dealing with them, but I firmly believe bloodshed, while often necessary, should be the last resort. There are certainly people in this world who would make it a much better place by their absence, but those people are rarer than many would like us to believe. The sword is often the easiest way to deal with a problem, but it is not always the best way."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:06 am

"
Interesting that you should mention that. The same suggestion was put to me earlier today. It is certainly a tactic I would like to employ, if possible, at least initially. Who would ypu suggest as a negotiating party? Best to have it be as neutral as possible, but ready to call in the fighting forces if the clans refuse a peaceful solution."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:40 am

"
Negotiations are built upon words, but trust is built upon action. Before you can speak to them, you must first prove your strength. People do not negotiate if they feel they have the other party at a disadvantage. If it were me, I would have my scouts seek out the most likely prospect for a raid and send your forces to defend the area, but not pursue if they choose to flee or reconsider their attack. Demonstrate that you are not necessarily hostile to them, but also that you will not allow your people to be harmed.

Capture their scouts and smaller raiding parties, but release them unharmed, and disarmed. You have the advantage of resources that they do not. You do not need to take their lives, only their weapons. If necessary, you can raid their camps, but trying to do as little damage as possible, only taking that which they can do harm with. Perhaps even helping tend what wounded were unavoidable. Eventually they will have to negotiate as replacing what you have taken will become very difficult, and it will hamper them in other ways. Hunting for food is difficult without sword or spear or bow. They will have difficulty threatening your people with growling bellies and sharpened sticks.

You will have the money, the manpower and the resources to set the rules of this conflict, only the Marstens can decide what those rules will be. The more people you kill, the less able their leaders will be able to negotiate. Death weighs very heavily on the living, especially their leaders. For negotiation to happen, both sides must be ready to talk. Until then, all you can do is let your actions speak for you."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:41 am

Corrine's eyes are alight with inspiration as Nathan describes his thoughts.

"
Leading with mercy. I like it. It sounds very wise. I like the concept of strength without cruelty. It is very much how I wish to rule."

She smiles warmly at Nathan, though spares a cheerful glance at Ser Jon Roxton.

"
I'm very glad we talked. I should go find my betrothed, but I look forward to bringing you both to Hartshorn."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D7, LE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed) Empty Re: [D7, LE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:59 pm

"
Of course, Lady Corrine. I am glad I was some small help to you. We will have ample opportunity to talk over the next couple months."

"
Give my regards to Ser Benedict."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D7, LE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed) Empty Re: [D7, LE] Investigation of the Bartheld (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:03 pm

"
I certainly shall. Thank you."

She curtsies to them both, and leaves, in search of Ben.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down