Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D8, ME] Family Ties (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D8, ME] Family Ties (Closed) Empty [D8, ME] Family Ties (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Making her way into the Marsten pavilion, Corrine finds Ser Kevan sat with some of the guardsmen, sharing food and drink with them. She gives a small curtsey, and a restrained but genuine smile.

"
Ser Kevan, might I borrow you for a short while?"
she asks.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D8, ME] Family Ties (Closed) Empty Re: [D8, ME] Family Ties (Closed)

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:14 pm

"
Lady Corrine! Of course I have time. What can I do for you?"

Kevan stands up, as his liege lady appears, motioning for the guardsmen to find something to do, to which they happily agree leaving the Marsten knight and Lady Corrine alone. He walks over to a small table with a couple of chairs, one of which he offers his visitor.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:19 pm

"
Thank you,"
she smiles more warmlu, and takes the offered seat;

"
First, if I may, I would like to congratulate you on your fine jousting performance. I hope you are not too battered from it,"
she says gently, a hint of genuine concern in her voice.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:51 pm

A proud smile appears on Kevan's face. "
Thank you, Lady Corrine, I'd never dreamed to be so successful at it"
he makes a dismissive gesture. "
Oh no, a couple of days of rest and the bruises will disappear. That old Ser Derrock got me good in the final!"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:44 pm

"
It did seem a powerful clash. I am glad there is no lasting damage."

Her tone became a little more confidential, a knowing smile curling at the corners of her mouth;

"
Lady Sofia's favour served you well, methinks. Might I be so bold as to enquire if it was part of a formal suit?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Kevan's face showed his surprise
"
Was it that obvious whose favour I wore? She is not the only lady in black and red..."

He pauses briefly, stroking his beard.
"
Hm well, no formal suit yet, I asked here for here favour during the joust and tried to brighten here mood, but to be honest I don't know what the best approach is for a formal suit. After all she is a Blackwood and I am just a sworn sword to a minor house..."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:09 pm

"
She may not be the only lady with black &
red, but I'm quite confident you're not trying to get in with the Princess or the Queen,"
Corrine chuckles. "
Besides, I saw her looking very intently at you during the joust. I merely formed a few connections. I think I can help you, if you do wish to seek her hand. Would it help your chances with her if you were, say, House Marsten's Keeper of the Gate?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:36 pm

"
Your help would be greatly appreciated, mylady! I think this Tourney helped me to enhance my dealings on the political playground, but to be honest, I still not feel overly confident negotiating with the Lords of great houses."

At Corrine's offer he hesitates briefly. What about Baelon..?
"
I... I would be honoured!"
unsure, whether this is a real offer or merely a question whether he is interested in the position.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:29 pm

Corrine smiles approvingly;

"
I am glad to hear it. Now that I am coming into my inheritance, I wish to set up a new advisory council, to help me rule more effectively, as I yet have much to learn of leadership. You have a place on it, as I highly value your skills and experience, especially in martial matters. I will need men like you spearheading the campaign against the clans, and keeping the Marsten lands secure afterwards. So, if you like, I could have some words with Lady Sofia and her father, make them aware of your elevation, and impress upon them how it makes you a more eligible match."

She gives him a friendly smile, pleased to feel like she is helping.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:34 am

"
I'd like to thank you for your trust in me. You know I always served House Marsten loyally and I am happy to support you in the future as a member of the advisory council.
Yes, I would highly appreciate if you could talk to Lord Blackwood especially. I am not sure if you should talk to him on your own first or if we should go there together, what do you think is the preferrable way?"

"
As we are already discussing the future of House Marsten and my role in it, I have another topic I'd like to discuss. I always dreamed of becoming responsible for the protection of a certain valley within the Marsten lands and to look after the smallfolk and their farmsteads, sheltering them from the attacks from the clansmen, I want to become a landed knight, mylady. With the recent developments at these Tourney, I hoped to get closer to this becoming reality."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 am

"
Let me have a word with Ben about Lord Blackwood, then we can work out the best strategy. Perhaps the three of us paying him a visit would be advantageous,"
Corrine replies, considering his other proposal quickly.

"
I would dearly love to reward your staunch loyalty with your own lands, Kevan. I would like to make you aware of a consequence though. I do not believe it problematic enough to be an impediment, but you should know anyway.

Lord Kriegar, as I'm sure you know, is deeply unhappy with House Marsten, for our failure to protect his men, especially his son &
heir. I noticed, at the joust, that your success embittered him further. Now, while I believe it was not about you personally, I do think it is part of his understandable bad feeling about House Lyras.

Making you my Keeper of the Gate will likely upset him further, and even more so if I give you land. In order to keep the fragile peace between our three houses, I would have to give him land of at least equal size and value, and a more prominent position in my council. He had already agreed to join it, but he will want to be as important as you, at the very least.

I have done my best to pacify the man, as I understand his position after what happened, but to truly mend the fracture between our houses, I must give him more concrete proof that House Marsten values House Kriegar."

She took a deep, tense breath, rolling her shoulders slightly for a moment, trying to relax them.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:44 pm

"
I see, you adjusted well to your new position, taking into account all the possible consequences of your actions. You will do well as the lady in charge of House Marsten. Indeed, we have to make sure, we do not estrange Lord Kriegar further as we cannot afford any internal quarrels during our upcoming campaign. I will try to find further measures to remove the tension between our banner houses."

"
Regarding my position, maybe there is another solution: If you were to convince my brother, Lord Lyras, you could grant me a parcel of land that is already managed by the Lyras bannerhouse. Would that help?"

[OOC: PM incoming]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:37 pm

"
That's a very good idea, Kevan,"
Corrine replies. "
I had not thought of that. I will have a word with him too. Since we are on the subject of pacifying Lord Kriegar, have you any thoughts on what I might do to rebuild that relationship in earnest?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:56 pm

"
It is a delicate matter for sure. We have to ensure that we include im more in matters of House Marsten especially regarding our campaign against the clansmen. In general, the complications arise from his grief over his dead son and the fact that the old widower is now alone, but there is nobody that could bring the Kriegar heir back to life. But what if he were to have another son, a heir to his name?"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:14 pm

"
I have been pondering similarly myself,"
Corrine nods slowly. "
I have already given him a place on my council, and I was thinking of offering him and his men a prominent position in the fight against the clans, perhaps a close support for the Coldbrook vanguard. He has an adolescent daughter, whom I was thinking of inviting to be my handmaiden. He is unlikely to desert us if his sole child is with us. Regarding encouraging him to create a new heir, I wonder if he and my mother might get on..."

She left those notions hanging, watching Kevan's face for approval, or lack thereof.

Last edited by 151 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:43 pm

Kevan struggles to keep his face straight at the notion of Lady Isobel and Lord Kriegar.
"
Hm, I thought more of the daughter of a small house from the vale, I don't think Lady Isobel could bear him another son...? Plus, I'd give us opportunity to bond with other houses around the lands of House Marsten."

"
I really like your idea regarding his daugther, it serves both as a token of appreciation as well as a confirmation for his reliance. Also, I am sure that offering himand his men an important position in the upcoming battle should help, we just have to make sure he does not feel like we are using his soldiers to take the brunt of the clansmen counterattack, while other soldiers hang back. I am sure we will be able to give his house a reasonable role in that campaign."

Last edited by 157 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 pm

"
Hmm, perhaps you are right about mother. She is lonely though, I can tell. She had affection for Jon Cobb, but, well, the melée put paid to that. Another lady of the Vale is a good idea. Is there anyone here who is eligible? I fear I have not been as social at this tourney as planned."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:07 pm

"
Well, I do not know of all the visitors to the Tourney, but from my own... research regarding this topic, I only know of Ser Adrian Redfort and members of House Royce attending from the vale and none of them have eligible daughters, I fear. Maybe a delegation of House Marsten could visit some of our neighbouring houses, once we are back home. I am sure there are a couple of topics to be discussed anyway, like the clansmen attacks or future cooperation. Enough opportunity to discuss a potential marriage as well..."
he shrugs his shoulders

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:24 pm

"
Yes, that sounds wise. I can still broach such a subject with him, even if we do not have someone in mind right now. It might actually be better to plant the seed of the idea and allow it to germinate for a short time, so he may become more amenable while I seek out potential candidates."

Her thoughtful look becomes a warm smile;

"
Thank you, Kevan. I am glad to have you by my side. I knew that inviting you to counsel me would turn out well."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Kevan smiles as well, "
I am glad I can help, especially after the difficulties, my choice of Queen of Love and Beauty caused to House Marsten."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:39 pm

Corrine's expression becomes a little sad, but she patted his arm reassuringly;

"
You followed your heart. I can never fault anyone for that. At least now I'm not the only one causing mild scandal,"
she replies with a sympathetic smile and an amused shrug. "
The people who reacted negatively were mostly the Freys, who we're hardly close to anyway. And Lord Kriegar will grumble about everything we do that does not benefit him directly. I can talk him round, I think. You won Lady Sofia over, and that is what matters. I've never seen you grin so wide as when she was beaming at you. You have given her back the hope she had lost. This will likely go well in negotiating for her hand. If that is what you want, of course."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:04 pm

"
Thank you for your understanding, I knew she was an unconventional choice, but I hoped the ruckus wouldnt be too big. I am sure over time, I can repair some of the soured relations. Yes that is what I want, I really hope our negotiation with Lord Blackwood will turn out successful."
, adding a wide grin to the last comment.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Corrine beams at Kevan;

"
Very well then. I shall put on my best charm for the occasion. Let us go see him early tomorrow morning. We should capitalise on your grand gesture as quickly as possible."

Last edited by 151 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:31 pm

"
Yes, I think this is a good idea. I have to say I am a bit nervous and I will happily let you lead the conversation in this"

And the sooner we go the sooner it will be over and I know my fate...

Last edited by 157 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down