Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D5 EA] Family ties (closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D5 EA] Family ties (closed) Empty [D5 EA] Family ties (closed)

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:01 pm

The boy was busy with emptying buckets at latrine, when Kevan finally found him. "
I see you have not changed all that much nephew!"
Kevan laughed. "
What did you do this time?"

"
Nuncle Kevan!"
The boy threw the bucket away and threw himself at the large man. There was nobody around so no need for protocol. "
Yeah, the master of horses found me sleeping in the hay, when I was supposed to work, but I was just too tired from the night before. I was up all night, trying too find out what happened at the inn. Have you been there? What happened?"

Kevan's smile disappeared. "
We could save most of them, but not all...A lot of men and women, especially smallfolk died in the flames... But let us talk about something more positive. How do you like it here at Raventree Hall? I mean apart from the shit shoveling?"

Young Bryen had to laugh at that comment, despite the miserable work he had to finish. He always had a very good connection to his uncle, who despite all the trouble Bryen got himself into, always treated him cordially.
"
I like it here nuncle. Sure, I have to work more than back home and when I screw up, I get punished, but there is a lot more going on than back home at father's keep. There are noble guests almost daily, bannermen of Blackwood, neighboring lords and others. There is always something going on.."

"
Good to here that, Bryen. For all the nuances you caused, you've always been a smart boy. It was obvious that you would find a place like this more interesting. There is a lot to learn here, just take care, there is nobody here to protect yourself."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

[D5 EA] Family ties (closed) Empty Re: [D5 EA] Family ties (closed)

Post by Reader Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:06 pm

"
Uncle, is there anyone you truly hate?"
asked Bryen, with more than a child's usual curiosity. Something was clearly troubling him.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Kevan looked at his nephew for a moment, as he considered the boy's question.
"
Hate is a strong word Bryen. I have my share of persons I strongly dislike, true. For some time, after what had happened at Faircastle, I even thought I knew what hate is for a while, but that passed... But to answer your question: No, there is nobody I truely hate. What is the matter Bryen? What happened?"

With concern in his eyes, Kevan motioned for the young boy to sit next to him.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:39 pm

"
Father always said not to ask about after Faircastle..."
The boy's curiosity wars with his drilling in etiquette.

Bryen moved up, plunking himself close to the knight with a growing child's clumsiness.

"
It is Ser Tyron uncle. He HATES the Brackens, the way I have heard some of our men talk of the mountain clans. He would do anything to harm them, providing he can "
see their fear, hear their wailing"
. I heard him say it Uncle."

The boy peers out from beneath his blond hair, quizzically.

"
I've only EVER heard our guards speak like that about the mountain clans, but they're not proper people."

The last is said with a child's certainty.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:19 pm

Kevan sighted deeply and laid his arm around the young boy.

"
You are right nephew, I felt the same during my meetings with him. Ser Tyron is a dangerous man, Bryen. His hate for the Brackens is so deep, it eats him from the inside. It is the only fire that burns in him, the one thing that makes him get up in the morning, it consumes everything he does. You are working for House Blackwood now and that inevitably means that you learn about their motivations and feelings, but it does not mean that you have to adopt them. Has he said anything with regard to the feud with the Brackens?"

"
This is a lot worse than what you experienced from our guards. We fought the clans since we can remember, but that is not the same. Lady Corrine even allowed some of them to live on our lands, after our last battle against their raiders."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:04 pm

"
He is glad each time he hurts them in battle uncle. The other Blackwoods seem to respect his fighting."

Bryen looks down at the mention of Corrine's clemency, muttering stubbornly in the way that only a truculent child can.

"
Some of the guards say that was stupid. Savages will kill us in our sleep."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Kevan had to smile at Bryen's comments despite the earnestness of the conversation.
"
Some of the guards are not the most smartest themselves. Remember what I said, hate is not a good counselor. Yes, Ser Tyron seems to be well respected in Raventree Hall, but that does not mean what he is doing is right. Just remember to be careful around him Bryen, will you?"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:57 pm

Bryen stops looking at his shoes, fixing Ser Kevan with all the resolute fervour a boy can muster.

"
Yes Uncle Kevan."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:39 pm

As Bryen readies himself to leave he volunteers a final thought. He seems ashamed of how he came about it, the words pouring forth.

"
Ser Tyron and his men are often further from Raventree Hall than their patrols should take them, I heard one of the serving girls saying she missed kissing Ser Symon Blackwood, who commands the forces near the borderland with House Darry. Ser Tyron oft calls on him with his best riders."

Bryen makes a face at the disgusting idea of kissing.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:39 pm

"
You may have been stumbling on something that could help me, Bryen! And I am not talking about the kissing part!"
Kevan replied with a smirk. "
I will have to look into that. And you"
, Kevan waved a finger at his nephew, "
best continue with your work or somebody finds out you are slacking and punishes you even harder!"
, he gave the boy a quick hug before departing. "
I will come see you again, before returning back home, Bryen!"

[/scene]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:06 pm

Bryen tried to conceal his delight at his uncle's praise, but made a poor job of it as he wandered off, happy at both the words of encouragement and having unburdened himself.

[/scene]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down