Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D9, MA] New Management (Closed)

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[D9, MA] New Management (Closed) - Page 2 Empty Re: [D9, MA] New Management (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:37 am

"
That is a very eloqent philosophy,"
Corrine agrees, nodding slowly. "
Your wisdom is remarkable for one of your years. I shall take it to heart. I do know that I lack cunning and ruthlessness, but I also know I must learn. Were it that all were honest and compassionate,"
she sighs. "
But, of course, thoughts like that are unproductive,"
she adds, with a knowing smile. "
I am ever the idealist. I expect the war against the clans will be most educational in the skill of ignoring the fact that the enemy is also made of human beings trying to protect that which they value."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, MA] New Management (Closed) - Page 2 Empty Re: [D9, MA] New Management (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:48 am

"
The barbarian clans and Seldon are vastly different my Lady. The barbarians pre-date the Andals and likely believe you to be the usurpers. Their actions are for the benefit, protection and survival of their community."

"
In contrast, if your suspicion of Seldon is true, he works only for his own benefit and his actions are at the expense of his community."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:06 am

"
True, and that would make dealing with him easier, even permanently. But it makes dealing with the clans harder. I fear that peace is not an option there, and it is either us or them, and as much as I wish we could co-exist without bloodshed, I have a duty to protect those who serve me."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:27 am

Nathan sighed. "
It is a difficult situation, and not one I cannot advise you on yet. There are too many unknown variables."

"
Bloodshed may be inevitable, but in this case I hope it can be avoided if at all possible. For now, I think my first assessment is the best starting point. Remove their weapons but take no prisoners and kill as few as possible. Every death will just make them hate you more. Even if you killed all their warriors you would only spawn a new generation even more dangerous than the one before. Unless the situation is handled with extreme care, you may eventually be forced to exterminate the entire clan, every man woman and child."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:33 am

"
Wise words, as ever. That is my intention. The less killing, the better. But yes, for now, you need only focus on Seldon. I have the feeling that, once an audit is launched, he will become interesting to observe, and he may lead us to other things that we may improve."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:33 am

Ben leans forward in his chair with an air of seriousness. "
We have discussed briefly a peaceful plan for the clansmen that may be abnormal and not have a great chance of success."

He looks to Corrine. "
If my Lady feels it prudent. I feel your input may be valuable."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 am

"
Ah yes, that,"
Corrine begins, then looks to Nathan. "
There has been the suggestion of offering them relocation to the Longshore lands. It was posited that they might settle well there, due to their cultural similarities with the Longshore reavers. While we would prefer to resolve things peacefully, we do not think there is much chance of that. It is merely an idea, rather than a plan. Do you think it foolish, or has it merit?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Nathan shrugged. "
It's hard to say. By conservative accounts the mountain people predate the Andals by several thousand years. I also understand that they are much closer to the land than we are. Given that, what would your response be if the situations were reversed?"
Many will probably believe the land is not yours to take or give. If ties to the land focus heavily in their religious beliefs... you can imagine their reaction."

"
I honestly don't know, my Lady, but my gut tells me that trying to come to an accord with them will prove better and easier than trying to relocate them. Once some sort of truce is reached, offering to help individuals relocate or even join your citizenry might be possible, but before that, they would have no reason to trust you. You might be trying to trick them into slavery, or simply lead them off and kill them out of sight of the other clans."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:23 pm

"
Of course, I understand,"
Corrine replies, a sadness in her eyes. "
I understand their lengthy residence, and connection to the land, but surely you would not have us all relinquish our own holdings to them, forsaking what we ourselves cherish and are charged to protect? You tell me to set aside guilt, yet telling me how we Andals have stolen the lands and oppressed the clanfolk induces a great deal of it, which I cannot reconcile with my committment to compassion and fairness."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:51 pm

"
My Lady, you misunderstand me. I do not tell you what I believe. I tell you what THEY believe."

"
The choice is actually a simple one, and in many ways the choice is not even yours. There are largely four options: assimilation, co-existance, submission or extermination."

"
When the Targaryens came a century or so ago, the Andal Kings had ruled for six thousand years, yet they were conquered in little more than a year. Aegon did not even have the choices you have. He did not have the people or the infrastructure for assimilation, he had no intention of sharing power and he wanted to unite the realm, so co-existance was out of the question. Extermination was beyond even his abilities, so the only option left was to force the Andals to submit."

"
This situation is not so different. These clans are a threat to your people. You don't have the time to assimilate them. Co-existance might be an option if they can be made willing. Submission might be necessary if they cannot see reason. As a last resort, you may need to exterminate them entirely. Their fate is more in their hands then yours."

"
Admittedly you do not have dragons in your arsenal, but compared to the barbarians you are almost as powerful by comparison. Your forces are stronger, better supplied, better equipped and better trained. The only real advantage they have over you is the knowledge of the land and the difficult terrain."

"
The barbarians were conquered by Aegon just like everyone else. Unfortunately, no-one ever bothered telling them. I agree that they should be treated with compassion and fairness, but if they respond to neither, you will have to crush them. If you don't, then many of your own people will say it is because of your age and your gender, and you have no business running a House."

Nathan gave Corrine a sympathetic smile. He knew his words were unpleasant, but truth was often unpleasant.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:07 pm

"
I see. Thank you for clarifying. Indeed, the last thing I want is to seem incompetent, and judged wanting for being a young woman. I want to show the people, nay, the realm, that women, young or old, can be as capable as a man. If the clans will not co-operate after we show our strength and our mercy, then I will not hesitate to crush them. However, it is very much my last resort. I do not want to breed a generation of clansfolk with more bitter hatred of us than their parents."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:34 pm

Nathan sighs. "
Hopefully it will not come to that. Thankfully, there is generally and upper limit to how much someone can hate you."

"
If the worse happens, at least they will probably not present you with any problems for another fifteen or twenty years."

"
You could always give them all the alcohol they can carry. That generally leads to a few raids or skirmishes, but it often completely destabilizes tribal societies in a generation or two."

Nathan was obviously not lacking in ruthlessness when required.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:45 pm

"
Alcohol?"
Corrine echoes, her expression becoming amused. "
Get them too drunk to fight us?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:52 pm

"
It's actually not all that funny, my Lady."
Nathan frowns. "
What would happen to your town in a generation if your citizens, who perhaps had very little access to alcohol previously, suddenly gained a free and virtually unlimited supply."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Corrine's expression fell when Nathan's solemnity became apparent;

"
I suppose many would get drunk, some aggressive. There would be brawling and disturbance of the peace, and very little work would get done."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:59 am

I suppose many would get drunk, some aggressive. There would be brawling and disturbance of the peace, and very little work would get done."

"
And if that continues for days? or months? or years?"

"
Many would become dependent on your alcohol. Violence would increase inside the clan. Hunting would start to become impossible, so in your 'generosity' you start giving them food as well, increasing their dependency on you. Eventually the very social fabric of the clan starts to unravel, unless they have the self control to stop, and by that point it is usually too late."

"
You would essentially be poisoning the clan. It might take months, or even years, but eventually the social fabric of the clan would die, even if the people do not. It is an insidious way to deal with the problem. Some might even call it evil. You are a good woman, Lady Corrine. You do not need someone to give you fair, just or pleasant options. You are an intelligent woman, and can think of those all on your own. I am giving you options that you would not think of yourself. They may not be fair or just or pleasant, but they are often effective.

"
When the Boltons were having problems with a clan of the north, Lord Bolton used an opportunity of an outbreak of the sweating sickness and released all his prisoners back to their families. Within six months those who were not dead of the disease were slaughtered, helpless to defend themselves. You might consider such tactics vile, as might I, but extermination is one of the four options, and while we might consider the man's plan disgusting, it was brilliant in it's execution and completely effective in its results."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:14 am

Corrine's face remains calm, but a flicker in her eyes belies the horror she feels hearing Nathan's description of Lord Bolton's strategy.

"
I understand, yes. Thank you, Nathan. I do understand the utility of such things. You are right, that would not have occurred to me. I think my mother deliberatly tried to guard me from the darker features of the world."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:13 am

Nathan flickered a sad smile. "
Aegon was willing to burn as many as he needed to gain Westeros. Dorne was willing to be burned to the last man, woman and child rather than bend the knee to him. Victory is often defined by the limits one is willing to go."

He rose and placed the empty glass on the table beside him. "
When I was ten, a young man in my master's service tried to smother me in my sleep. To this day I don't know why. I ended up killing him. I bashed his head in with a candlestick. I wish I could say he was the first man I had killed."
Nathan seem to gaze off into space. "
Oddly, what I remember most is how handsome I had thought he was, and how beautifully he played the lute."

Nathan sighed. "
I may not live with guilt, but I do live with regret. We do what we must to survive, and the survival of your House and it's people rest on your shoulders. As I said. I do not envy you."

After a moment, the lightness returned to his voice as did his usual demeanor. "
Was there anything more, Lady Marsten? I have some final preparations to make before our departure. Also, if you can let me know when you plan on returning to the Vale, I'd appreciate it. Jon's men may need a couple days to be fit for travel after the week long festivities, and I would really like Jon to have some time to recover from his injuries in the melee."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:32 am

Corrine stands, gently placing a delicate, pale hand on Nathan's arm;

"
Of course, Nathan. We await word from Lady Arryn before we can have our wedding ceremony, so we shall remain at least another week, more likely two. I trust that will be plenty of time for Ser Jon and his men to be well-rested?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:18 pm

Ben rises to bid Nathan farewell.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:48 am

"
More than enough time, Lady Corrine. Perhaps too much time."
Nathan chuckles. "
I suspect neither Ser Jon or his men suffer idleness well."

"
Still, so long as I have access to Lord Tully's library and baths, you will hear no complaints from me."

With a bow to both Lady Marsten and Ser Benedict, Nathan heads out of the tent and on his way.

[/leave]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:09 am

Once Nathan has left, Corrine looks to Ben;

"
How do you think that went?"
she asks anxiously.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:06 pm

"
Well. Despite his current politics, I feel he is a good person and well equipped to aid House Marsten... if he wishes."
Ben plops back into his chair.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:39 pm

"
Mother will have a fit about us bringing a Green into our fold,"
Corrine sighs, sitting more delicately next to him, a slight wince as her injured leg bends, pushing against the bindings.

"
But, he seems genuine enough for me. Gods, I hope I have judged him rightly. Any mistake I make will invite deep scorn from all sides. People will say that it is because I'm a woman, or that I'm too young, or both."

She runs her forehead anxiously;

"
I'm sorry, love. I'm quite on edge after last night."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:01 am

Ben rises and moves behind Corrine. His hands fall upon her shoulders. The fingers pulling at her shoulders and thumbs pressing into her upper back.

"
You do not need to apologize. Let people think what they will. We are bound to make mistakes. I will be here to help shoulder the load and responsibility. I have already made my first big mistake."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next