Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open)

5 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

[D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open) - Page 5 Empty Re: [D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:17 am

Corrine quietly allows the subject to change with no argument.

I suppose she'll probably never understand. Oh well.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open) - Page 5 Empty Re: [D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open)

Post by Loreia Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:11 am

[Nathan, I'm sorry if it feels like my last post is forcing you to parrot yourself, but I wanted to coax out the circumstances of your origin to talk about it, given my character's outsider perspective(I would not consider Bear Island to be a place where whores start very young). It seems to have been glossed over when you mentioned it earlier. But if you would rather get back to talking about the important investigation stuff, I can get an infodump and walk.]
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:40 am

Loreia wrote: Addressing Nathan sounds like the first steps into a cold, shallow shoreline.

Nathaniel Mason wrote:He notes the frosty tone. Far from the first time he has heard it.

[OOC: I am sorry, Loreia, but I am not sure what you expect. While he may have seen you around, he has only just met you. He is taking your initial attitude as either disapproval of him (for being a homosexual) or disapproval of his profession, (for being a whore). I do not know if that's the reason for your attitude or something else, but he assumes it is that, because 95% of the time people treat him coolly on first meeting, that is the reason.

Certainly you are a guest in his tent. He will treat you impeccably as any good host should, but you have said nothing yet to coax anything out of him. So far, you are a perfect stranger that is giving the impression you don't approve of him.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:49 am

[....So he's choosing not to respond.]
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:59 am

Loreia wrote:
She looks back to Nathan after an awkward pause. "
Pardon me, but are you with House Marsten, Master Nathan?"

Nathaniel Mason wrote:"
No, I am one of the investigators appointed by Lord Davain Bartheld."
he replied. "
Although I have been fortunate to assist House Marsten from time to time."

{OOC: He did respond to this]

[I did miss your next post when the page flipped. Sorry.]

Loreia wrote:"
Oh. You must be someone important, if you've been 'appointed'. What do you do for Lord Davain?"
She pulls out a chair and takes a seat, briefly eyeing the food and the clean plates and forks in the center of the table. I may go back on what I said earlier on not feeling hungry. Ah, Davain inherited, then? I wonder how Fendrel's taking it...oh well. Sorry, Jon.

"
I am not really important at all, Shieldmaiden."
Nathan thought that was the correct form of address. "
I am just a commoner. Lord Davain has honoured me by asking my advice from time to time, and he has some faith in my skills to investigate and negotiate. I only hope his faith is justified. I have had some success these last few days."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:20 am

"
That's puttin' it modest,"
she encourages. "
You're not 'just' a commoner. He must see something in you if he has you here representin' him an' his, when he could've come himself, or sent his uncle."
Her kind words carry an all-too-familiar hint of patronizing.

[Important distinction: patronization is not being used synonymously for condescension here.]
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Nathan shrugged. "
I would argue any commoner can do great things when given the opportunity. People sometimes forget that without the expertise of the blacksmith, Knights would not have their fine armor and weapons that are essential to their position. The chief vintner that House Bartheld relies upon for much of their wealth is a commoner, as are those that grow the fine grapes he needs. In every House you will find stewards that deal with the day to day problems their Lords will never see. Many Knights and Maesters were commoners before they earned their titles."

"
Do not think my saying I am just a commoner is necessarily false modesty. I have a high opinion of many commoners."
And a rather low opinion of many nobles.

"
Lord Davain is a good man. He looks to a man's talents and does not hold their station against them. In return, he gains men who are loyal and use their talents to aid him. I do not know if Ser Fendrel would have done better in my place. He is a charming man and well respected by the nobles."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:08 pm

Septon Arlyn nods with Nathan's words. "
Aye, It is true that commoners can accomplish great things. Look at yourself, Shield maiden. Last year at the tournament of Riverrun, you entered the Melee as quite the oddity, a women warrior from the north. I head in the stands many mutters about how it was unnatural for a women to be both a warrior and entering into the tournament, yet you did and where a hairs breadth from winning. Then in the riots you saved a great many people, earning yourself the title of Shield Maiden."
Septon Arlyn smiles warmly, "
You are living proof that even "
mere"
commoners can accomplish great things. Some of the greatest hero's of the long night rose from the smallest of people, proving that no matter your station, great heroics can be found."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:41 am

"
I didn't enter that tournament to represent the smallfolk, septon. And only in part to represent House Coldbrook. I entered prove me own worth. The title they gave me'll carry the meaning I want for it."

With an approving grin, she continues, "
Always bracing to meet someone new who understands true worth is not measured by titles or land. You say you an' Lord Davain share this understanding? How'd you meet him?"
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:40 am

"
I settled on Bartheld lands while Lord Brom Bartheld was still Lord. House Bartheld had a reputation for hospitality and tolerance."
He waved off the next natural question. "
And before you ask, I don't know why Bom retired as Lord, other than he fell in love and wished to pursue her hand. I can only think he felt his duties as Lord were a barrier to that desire."

"
I happened to be in Riverrun for the tourney and learned that the dispute between Lord Davain and Ser Fendrel was escalating. I offered what help I was able to Lord Davain to secure his position. I was fortunate to garner some success there as well. I am grateful the matter was settled without bloodshed, as can so often be the case in these situations."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:31 am

Septon Arlyn smiles at Loriea, "
you may have not intended to represent the small folk when you entered that tournament, or when you saved those people's lives during the riot. However you did, and prince Daemon has turned you into a symbol. That symbol may be used v as a rallying cry for the small folk one day. They may state if she can do it, so can we. You are A powerful symbol of hope shield maiden, just as Nathan is a bringer of hope to these unfortunate people here. I feel proud to count both of you among my friends."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:19 am

Loreia merely listens to Arlyn and smiles, veiling her thoughts with courtesy.

With an approving grin, she continues,
[etc.]

"
I see. I didn't know there was much bad blood between them. An' by success, I s'pose you mean you were there to bet on the jousts?"
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:55 am

"
I would not describe it as bad blood. Merely substantial disagreement on how the House should be run. By success, I meant I was successful in gaining support for Lord Davain, although I was fortunate in my bets on the tourney as well."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:46 pm

Her eyes never drift from Nathan, but remain fixed to a point - but what attitude? Genuine fascination? Puzzling him out? Or perhaps sizing him up? "
Feel like sharin' whose matches you won off of? Most of me memory from the tourney feels like a blur. I 'member the Aurochs won the jousting, and I haven't forgot when I yielded to Lord Drakeson - no man alive'll let me,"
she adds with a modest smirk.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:02 pm

"
It was no great insight on my part, Shieldmaiden. I simply bet on Ser Jon Roxton. I was surprised Ser Warrick Wheaton beat Jon in the tilts, but as the upset was more luck than skill, betting against him in the followimg round was just prudent. Ser Jon lost in the final round of the melee, but not before I'd gained a great deal of coin from his wins in the previous rounds."

"
I had actually bet more on Ser Jon than I might otherwise, as my intent was to share my winnings with him, but apparently betting on yourself is dishonorable. I am not sure why. All the other Knights do it through proxies as a matter of course."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Loreia only breaks from her scrutiny to look at Jon to observe his continued passive role in the meeting, nodding and looking back to Nathan. Her face turns a little sour at the statement regarding yet another manifestation of the duplicitous nature of anointed warriors. "
It seems a vain an' two-faced practice. The knights already compete for prizes of wealth, an' ransom their opponents' losses to boot."

Her face softens after having said her piece on the matter. "
Lose that generosity though, an' you'll have the makings of a man of business."
Whoops, that was a little backhanded. "
After all, you seem to have sharp mind."
Good enough.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:03 pm

"
Yes It may seem vain Loriea, however the rule is placed there to discourage cheating. Some less honorable knights may choose to cheat, throwing their fight to try and gain some additional cash. Therefore it is more honorable for contestants to not bet on their own fights, and to provide other sources of prizes to encourage honorable and true actions, ensuring that the test of skill would be what makes the winner, not the greed of man."
Septon Arlyn smiles at Loriea.

"
Nathan, Have you met Ereth Redwine yet. He is a Lord who sells cider, quite an interesting fellow and seems to be very honorable, with the interests of the small folk first and foremost in his mind. I feel that Nathan would be able to find out if this Lord is a true as he seems. If he is, then he might be a good neutral location for the small folk from these war torn lands to move to.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:28 am

"
Nathan, might I have a word?"
Corrine asks. "
Privately."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:10 am

"
I am sorry, Septon."
says Nathan. "
I have not yet had the honour of meeting Lord Redwain."

The young man rises at Lady Marsten's request. "
Of course. If you would walk with me, there are a few things I should check on before we return to the Warrior seat."
He smiles at his other guests. "
Please make yourself at home, and do not stand on ceremony. Should you need anything, do not hesitate to help yourself."

Nathan offers his arm to Lady Marsten.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:25 am

Corrine slips her arm through his when he offers it, and walks out with him. She waits until they are out of earshot before speaking.

"
I wanted to speak with you about a very delicate matter, but one that I think may play well to your talents. The investigation into Lord Blackwood's murder, specifically. How much do you currently know of the matter?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:43 am

"
I admit that I do not know as much as I would like."
Nathan sighed. "
Suspicion fell on Ser Tyron for a time, but he passed a test I devised and was removed as a suspect. It seems more likely he was responsible for the salting of Bracken lands."

"
I am sorry, my Lady. I know how important this is, but I have not been able to do more than scratch the surface. Between the Septry and Blackbuckle monopolizing my time, I have only been able to conduct preliminary inquires into the other matters."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:14 am

"
You need not apologise, my dear friend. You mistake my reason for asking. I wanted to make sure I did not insult your intelligence or tread old ground with what I'm about to say.

She looks around carefully, before speaking in a hushed tone;

"
I think my man, Sam, has uncovered the identity of the person responsible, but we are struggling to pin them down. We want them dead to rights, and we are trying, but we must be careful. We've been given a head as an appeasement, but it's not the right one. So, I seek your wisdom. You did so brilliantly with Luke Seldon."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:45 am

Nathan looked off into the distance for a long moment. Corrine could almost see the wheels turning.

"
There is a way. I hesitate to even suggest it. It would be extremely dangerous and the repercussions could be terrible if it failed... but it might draw out the murderers. It would have to be handled with great care."

Nathan turned to Lady Corrine. "
My Lady, what if Lord Blackwood were not dead? What if the Blackwoods had hidden him away, grievously wounded. Perhaps mortally so. What if his funeral were simply a cover to protect him while he hopefully recovers? What better way to protect a man than the shroud of death?

Those that murdered him would be beside themselves. Go to great lengths, take any risk to finish what they started. They would try and kill him while he is weak, and seek to prevent it being revealed he still lives.

Such a trap would be an incredible gamble, but it could drive out those responsible if they think they have failed and wish to try and correct that failure before it is too late."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:57 am

"
That sounds extremely risky. How could we even make such a thing seem credible?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:10 am

"
We would need Ser Myles. If it were rumored he left the castle regularly under cover of night, your murderer might wonder why? If certain conversations were overheard, conclusions may be drawn."

"
There are three other solutions available to you, if you are certain of the man responsible. The first is to arrest him, and put him to the question. The second is to have a knight accuse him of the crime with the little information you have, and challenge him to a trial by combat. The third is to ignore him, and have him assassinated in a month or two's time."

"
If you have already been given a head, the investigation, as far as the politics of the situation are concerned, is satisfied."

"
I am sorry, my Lady. If I had weeks as I did with Seldon, I might be able to give you a more satisfying plan. However, we have only few short days left. The easiest way to deal with this in the time we have, would be for you to openly accuse him, and force him to defend his honour with steel."

[OOC: I do not know IC that you are talking about Ser Steffan, but Nathan assumes it is a Knight or Noble responsible, or you would not need to be approaching the situation with the delicacy you are.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next