Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open)

5 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

[D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open) - Page 2 Empty Re: [D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:07 pm

"
As much as I wish my eyes could forget this terrible sight, I thank you for taking the time to show me,"
Corrine said, quietly. "
Is there anything you would have of me, before I go?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open) - Page 2 Empty Re: [D4:MA] Touring the Devastation (Open)

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:15 pm

Septon looks up from his work in the healer's tent and notices Nathan and Lady Corinne by the front gate of blackbuckle. Turning back to the small folk child, he applies a lavander oil under his throat, and gives some trimmings of the plant to the boys mother.

"
Here take this, it will help calm him when it is time for sleep, look for the flowers like this and boil it into tea. It will help him relax at night so that both of you can get some sleep. He stopped breathing because of the sights up in the village. Have him work on the forest where he is less likely to see the horrors, else his sleep well never become untroubled."

After the small folk women thanked him, Septon Arlyn took his leave from the healer's tent. Approaching the gathered party he bows deeply to the young heir and Lady Corinne, nodding to Nathan. "
My Lord's and Ladies, it is good to see you in such good health. May I inquire on how the tour went."
His tone was respectful and curious, lacking in any malicious intent.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Corrine's nose &
mouth were still covered by her scarf, but her eyes were sad when they met the Septon's;

"
It was harrowing, Septon. I've never seen anything so horrific in my life."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Septon Arlyn nods at Lady Corrine's words. "
I have never seen anything like it before a few days ago."
Septon Arlyn reaches into his pouch and pulls out a small vial of amber colored liquid. "
My Lady, This is an infusion of pine sap, peppermint, and lavender, distilled into an oil. I use it to help calm people and bring them closer to the Seven, that way they can more easily find the mothers mercy."
He offers it up to Lady Corrine, "
the peppermint also has the pleasant side effect of dispersing any odors that might be stuck in your nose."
He states, but not referring to the smell of death that clung to everything.

After pausing a moment Septon Arlyn continues, "
I'm sorry for yesterday my Lady. I should have deferred to your judgment in the matter of the mines. I would like to apologize for overstepping my bounds in questioning Lord Baelon. I had developed a friendship with Athelstan and was disturbed by his death, and I felt that the situation was suspisious. However Lord Baelon is a true knight, and I am glad that he was at least following the leads of the investigation"
even if he might have challenged the authority of this investigation process.

He pauses before continuing, waiting to see if the apology was accepted or not.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:07 am

"
Apology accepted, Septon. It was a fraught situation. I'm sure we all wish we could have done things differently."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:13 am

Septon Arlyn nods in tact acknowledgement to Lady Corinne.

"
Lady Corinne, I have not had a chance to speak with you regarding the,"
Septon Arlyn looks to the present company and decides to be tactful given the mixture, "
object on your lands, and we at House Dulver would gladly commentate the successful partnership of our houses with a mosaic, letting everyone who comes know of the honored place house Marsten would have in our halls, pending of course that your other stipulation was fulfilled. Also, of Lord Marsten could help assist in its recovery, then we would gladly pay for his time and compensation. This of course would be fulfilled after our duties are complete here, but as we have both been very busy with this investigation I have not yet had a moment to speak with you on this matter."

"
Now Lady Corinne, Ser Wyl, if you could let me barrow your guide for a moment, I would like to speak with him about managing of the healer's tent."

Septon Arlyn gestures to the tent, "
will you be able to accompany me, Master Nathan?"
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:25 am

"
Of course Septon."

"
Lady Marsten, Ser Wyll, with your permission."
He indicates the large white pavilion flying the Bartheld colours. "
There is both food and refreshment. I am sure you would like to rest a moment after... such a long ride."

With a deep bow, Nathan walks toward the healer tent with the Septon. "
You are an expert healer, Septon. I am sure whatever you wish is fine. I do not second guess those who are more skilled in their areas than I."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:39 am

"
That would be well, Septon. Thank you, Nathan."

Corrine gladly avails herself of the refreshment in the pavilion.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:53 am

"
Aye Nathan, then I will make some changes that I wish to see made, it will make things more efficient and allow people to get back to the business at hand, as well as helping heal their souls. But as important as that is there is something I wished to speak with you about, regards to your statement about allowing the small folk to leave these war torn lands. Now I know that it did not go over so well in front of the gathered assembly of Lord's and Ladies, but you have struck a chord with me."

Septon Arlyn pauses, ensuring that no one else would be able to hear over the general hubbub of a busy camp.

"
Now what I'm about to tell you would probably get me hanged if anyone found out, but I'm telling you this so that you understand that I trust you, and I trust your dedication to the small folk."

Septon Arlyn waves his hands around in the air, gesturing to the entire camp. "
This undertaking proves it."

Septon Arlyn gives a pause then begins. "
So I have lied to a few people here. I have always stated that I wanted to see the wall, but I have never been further then the neck. Well... That's not entirely true. "

Clearing his throat he says, "
I used to smuggle people. A brown brother connected me when I was still a brown brother and asked me to help move people from the Bolton's lands south, and then the caroneng men would help me get across the swamp. That is where I met my first lizard lion, Terrifying creatures."

"
So, what I'm trying to say is I understand that for the small folk, sometimes the best option is to not live under their current Lord. However moving them is dangerous, and costs money, and you have to find a good lord who is... Let's say unscrupulous about where his subjects may come from. Needless to say that, that is the reason why I became Lord Dulver's Septon. For the old Septon who used to work with Lord Dulver fell ill on one of my trips, bringing people back from the north. And that is why I sometimes fall into a northern accent.

But my point is, of we could convince these Lord's and Ladies to, shall we say write into the law here, that the small folk would be free to move, then that would be a great boon to being able to move people from one Lord's lands to another, and have the law on our side to do it."

Septon Arlyn takes a step back and tries to see what the young boys reaction might be.

(OOC hey how did you think I got favored of the small folk :;
): )
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:21 am

Nathan shakes his head and smiles. "
As usual Septon, you make things more difficult than the need to be. Slavery is illegal across the Seven Kingdoms. Smallfolk are already free to move. The only thing that stops them is the difficulties involved in doing so. Will they be able to protect their family? Where would they go? Will they find work when they get there? Will they be able to travel safely? It is not the law that stops them, it is the logistics.

If I hire a dozen servants in Riverrun, Lord Tully cannot say they cannot leave unless they have prior obligation to him. Even if they do, he might still have to let them go. A farmer cannot till his fields if there is a battle happening in them every other month. If you wish to move people to safer lives, then do so. You do not need anyone's permission. If you can guarantee their safety for the trip, and ensure they are cared for and employed when they arrive, there is really no legal reason anyone who wishes to leave cannot."

Nathan shrugged. "
I have contacts all over Riverlands... and I know which Lords care for their people and which do not. With enough time, money and words in the right ears, no-one who no longer wished to be here need be... and there is very little either House Bracken or Blackwood could do about it."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:10 pm

"
While it is true that legally Lords can not hold people against there will, however in the Boltons lands such an act is viewed as treason by the Lord there. The Lord then will manufacture charges against those attempting to leave and they will go to the dungeon, never to be seen on the outside again."
Septon Arlyn lowers his voice and whispers quietly, "
They are said to have stopped the practice proudly displayed on their banner, but the smallfolk whisper that those who try and leave experience the full weight of their saying 'Our blades are sharp'. Now I doubt that Lord Blackwood would do such a thing, as he seems to be an honorable man. However if people try to flee a beast... He might go hunting. It is well known how much the Beast enjoys hunting."

"
If you could talk to the Lords you know, see if they might be interested in helping resettle those most effected by the fighting, I think that I could support working into the final treaty a provision to allow the small folk to move unmolested from these war torn lands. For safety is what I think would be the most important for the small folk. I am sure some might stay out of a feeling of duty towards their Lord, but just there also might be a number that wishes to flee from here to find a safer place to live. One where their fields are no longer made barren, their drinking water is not poisoned, and they are not subject to the reckless machinations of these two great lords."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:31 pm

Giving a shrug, the young man gives a weary smile. "
I am aware that what is 'legal' and what is done are two different things, Septon. I was purchased from my Father by a Highgarden Lord at the age of six because I was beautiful. It is no accident that I am an expert in sexually gratifying men. I was trained from a very early age."
As terrible as this may sound, there is no rancor or bitterness in his voice.

"
I would not phrase it as the Lords allowing the peasants movement, though. It makes it sound like the Lords have the power to stop such movement, and that is a precedent that I don't think either of us wants to set. Instead, I would put forth a resettlement plan for the displaced people. Lord Bracken may bluster, but he would probably not put up serious oppostion. Ser Myles would be the stronger opponent. He is under a great deal of pressure from the Prince, and iron does not magically wrest itself from the ground. The law is clearly not in his favour, and the case for negligance is strong. Let it be him that takes the more difficult legal ground."

"
House Bartheld will happily support your efforts, Septon."
It will dramatically lessen the number I have to quietly move.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:03 pm

The Septon frowns, "
That is another thing, the iron mines. I have heard you have yet to investigate them yourself, so I will share with you what I have found from my investigation [OOC[url:pxapowtq]http:
//dragonsdance.
forumatic.
com/viewtopic.
php?f=183&
t=1925&
start=130#p56253[/url:pxapowtq]]. Here is another issue. There is a crystal seam that runs between the Bracken and Blackwood mines, so both could conceivably have a claim on it. I think that as part of the negation process if we were to award the seam to the more injured party, it might go well to ease some of the bad feelings, and make it so that they will adhere to the treaty."
For a little longer then they might otherwise, but I'm sure that Nathan already realizes this.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:36 pm

"
Tell me Septon, do you want 'justice' or do you want 'peace', because you can't have both."

Nathan sighs. "
If you want justice, award whatever you like to whomever you think deserves it. If you want peace, however, you cannot reward one House over the other, or punish one House over the other. Both Houses must feel the sting equally, and both Houses must feel they were rewarded equally. The second one House feels they were misused in the deal, or the other House was favoured in the deal, peace evaporates and we are back to where we started."

"
Now, me, I want justice, but I have resolved myself to exacting that justice on those who are clearly guilty. Do you think I want to impale forty men on spikes? Of course I don't, but I am going to because I said I would, because no-one can gainsay their guilt, because it sends a clear message that an attack on a church will not be tolerated, and because I will never be able to punish those who were truly behind that terrible crime."

"
I want justice, but I am pragmatic."
There is no-one more pragmatic than a whore. "
What I want doesn't matter. Peace is the best option to spare the most lives, so I put aside my selfish desires in the name of the common good."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Septon Arlyn exhales heavily, and places his hands on his temples, rubbing in small circles. "
Ideally we could find both, but I'm afraid your words are true in this case. But the question is, how do we balance the scales? Is one life of a Lord worth more then a village of small folk? Does torture of soldiers equal the salting of fields? Does the damage to the neighbors lands be paid for by the pursuing army or the fleeing forces? Does the lost income of four mines mean that the loss of one is any less disadvantages? There are many slights here, and the question of blame and guilt are foggy things, and I feel that I do not have enough information to untangle all the interactions that lead from one to another.

Taking a moment to pause, Septon Arlyn states.

"
peace, I feel peace is more precious then justice. For the Father above has the sole claimant on perfect knowledge, and he will be tempered by the mercy of the mother. Which is a Mercy that few men possess I believe. Peace, and the justification of the small folk. For they are the ones who truely suffer when their Lord's march against each other, and it is them who have the fewest protections against abuse, as you yourself have unfortunate first hand experience. "
Septon Arlyn's face appears down trodden.

Suddenly Septon Arlyn looks up to Nathan, a warmth in his eyes. "
Thank you for doing this,"
as He commends, gesturing to the camp and healer's tent, "
it is good to have a place to use my skills, where I can see am immediate impact from my work. It is good to talk to these people and realize why I'm here. It's not for the great Lord's and their mining rights, but for these men and women, who struggle to survive the mighty Lord's wars. Hopefully by bringing the kings peace here we will allow these people to live in peace, or at least leave here to find it."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:06 am

"
Smile Septon. If you smile others may believe it. Perhaps you may soon believe it."
Nathan smiles. The smile is convincing, although it is not in his eyes. Not yet anyway.

"
I don't know the answers to your questions. I don't know how to balance the scales. I can't tell you what the right or wrong thing to do is. I can only tell you what I am going to do."
He gestures at Blackbuckle. "
I am going to reclaim that village. I am going to make it safe for people to live there again."
He gestures to the refugees. "
I am going to help these people. I am going to try and give them the opportunity to regain a normal life."
He gestures to the pavilion. "
I am going to try and get to the truth of what happened here, and support Lady Marsten even if whatever solution she finally comes to is weak, or inadequate, or simply ineffectual."

"
I am going to do my best, and help others to also do their best. It likely won't be enough, but it will be far more than if I didn't try at all. I have Faith in the Gods, even if I don't always agree with the teachings of their Septon."
he grins. "
I will do what I can, putting one foot in front of the other. Others may expect more than that, but I don't think the Seven are asking any more of me, or you. Soon we will leave this place and go back to our homes and our lives. If this place is better when we leave than it was when we found it. I will count that as a success."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:45 am

Septon Arlyn looks at the smiling boy and hears his words. "
That is a wise sentiment. For we can not know the minds of the Gods, but through us they can work miracles, just like this here. When I first came here it was nothing but despair and death, but even now there is life stirring at the fringes, and hope is seeping in where there was none before. It would be a shame for it to simply be destroyed in the next spat, after so much hard work has been put into it."

Septon pauses, thinking.

"
What are your plans for this village, after we leave. I'm sure you must have some thing thought up on how to protect it after we leave. It's there a clause you are going to push for in the treaty? And Maester Fourwinds?"
Septon searches for the Maester of house baratheld name before waving it away. "
Your Maester you brought. How is the study of the poison going. Have you found and regiant to counteract it's effects? I can tell that is action must be ingested and not simply contact as otherwise we would be all be experiencing it's effects. Does the Maester need any assistance in finding a substance to help return the well to its non dangerous state? If so I offer my services to this project."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:35 am

Nathan smiles but waves off the compliment. "
You give me too much credit, Septon. My profession has made me a wealthy man. I am honestly spending less on Blackbuckle than a Knight would spend on his armor and horse. Once I am gone, it will be up to them to carry on, if it is their wish.

I cannot guard against the future. If their village was damaged in a storm, I could help them rebuild, but only they can take the precautions needed against the next storm... and the next storm in inevitable. If the Greens and Blacks have their way, it will be a very, very big storm. Blackbuckle may not be the only village that must try to recover when all is said and done. We all will have burdens, and we may all be on different sides.

I spoke to Ser Myles this morning. He agreed to help Blackbuckle, as much as Lord Bracken will allow, in any case. He loathes the Brackens, but even he believes what happened was despicable. Hopefully Lord Bracken will accept his aid. The man loathes the Blackwoods even more than the Blackwoods loathe him. It is a small thing, but perhaps it is a start.

I also spoke with Lady Marsten about laying the souls to rest. She has agreed that tomorrow will be the final day of investigation in Blackbuckle, so I will need your monks and silent sisters the following day. I am afraid we will have to resort to burning. Beetles are not practical, and the only ready water for boiling is tainted. Both Lady Marsten and Ser Wyll have promised as much firewood as they can provide, but we will still have to burn them in groups. I can keep families and households together, but many are beyond any chance of identification. It pains me to send anyone into the afterlife without their name, but I am sure the Seven will know who they are.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:29 am

The Septon and Nathan returned to the pavilion. "
Please take a seat Septon."

"
I presume you have been made comfortable, Lady Marsten, Ser Wyll."

Nathan sits and grabs a plate. Filling it with bread, cheese and fruit. "
I hope you don't mind if grab a bite as well before we return, my Lady. I have not had a chance since dawn this morning. Help yourself Septon. Lucien was gracious enough to bring in some meat, but I'm afraid nearly all of it went to the refugees or the guards."

He fills his glass with wine, but not before first pouring a glass for the Septon and refilling anyone's glasses that need it. "
My Lady, on a somewhat lighter matter, I am curious about the situation with House Darry. That particular charge has puzzled me. Perhaps you can enlighten me. House Darry charges that their borders were breached when House Bracken pursued Blackwood troops onto their land. Assuming that is true, would that not also mean that House Blackwood breached the Darry borders first? It would seem to me that both Houses are guilty of trespass. So I fail to understand why only House Bracken has had charges leveled against them. Are House Darry and House Blackwood allies?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:08 am

"
I don't mind at all. I have been made quite comfortable, thank you,"
Corrine replied politely, sipping at her drink.

"
I know little of House Darry, but, to the best of my knowledge, they are not allies. I am not aware of them being enemies either. I had the intent of looking into the disputed lands, but, well..."

She waved a hand wearily.

"
... everything."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:36 pm

"
If so, Lady Marsten, then the question remains."
said Nathan as he nibbled some cheese. "
Why did House Darry take such grievous offense to the Brackens breaching their borders, when they are actively trying to ignore and downplay that same breech by the Blackwoods?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:46 pm

"
Well, Ser Lionel Darry was the main instigator of that Faith Militant attack at Riverrun last year. Could it be linked to that?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:05 am

[Will post the info I have even I get home, but I will also be sharing it at the assembly as well.]

"
Lady Corinne, if I may speak,

+assuming you allow it+

"
I do not think that this has to do with LionelDarry, but more to do with the fact that the wars with the Faith millitant and helping the coldbrook's root out some of the last cells caused them to be significantly weakened, and unable to respond to the intrusions on their lands. As far as why the Bracken's are being charged and not the Blackwood's. "
Septon Arlyn shrugs, "
my guess is because when the Blackwood's fled across the border it was the Bracken's who caused the the damage to Darry lands in there attempts to find the Blackwood's."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:17 am

"
Well.. the Brackens are hardly subtle."
drawled Nathan. "
Was there damage done?"

"
My friends tell me that the Darrys are more interested in making a name for themselves than any real grievance against the Brackens. Of course, there is the concern of those particular lands being used as a staging area, and the greater fear would be that House Darry will alley with one side or the other... tipping the balance."

"
Tipping the balance might not be such a bad idea. At least it might end this conflict. House Darry has a huge bargaining chip for both Bracken and Blackwood, Black and Green. I wonder how they will play it."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:30 am

"
If one House wiped another out, that would make many things simpler, but it would be a great shame. And, if I may permit myself some small bias, I want to keep Benjicot safe, however I can."

She tapped her chin thoughtfully.

"
I think a visit to the seat of House Darry might be prident, though I'm not sure how safe it would be"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next