Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D4, EN] A royal arrival makes sparks fly - follow-up...

+7
Nathaniel Mason
Ser Jorah Holt
Lady Corrine Marsten
Kevan Lyras
Septon Arlyn
Luecian LongBow
Reader
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

[D4, EN] A royal arrival makes sparks fly - follow-up... - Page 2 Empty Re: [D4, EN] A royal arrival makes sparks fly - follow-up...

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:57 pm

Nathaniel Mason wrote:"
Forgive me."
says Nathan casually to no-one in particular. "
I am no warrior or tactician. However I should point out, a few of the more obvious issues."

"
Aside from the rather large and impressive green burning building, it is the middle of the night and pitch dark out. The rocky terrain will cause problems, even in the light of day. We have no idea the kind of numbers of people we are dealing with, and they know those caves considerably better than any of us. We have no idea what measures they have taken to protect themselves, other than the likely probability have a wagon-load full of wildfire."

"
As yet... I have not heard anything approaching a plan that addresses any of those issues."

"
I am also not sure the need for such urgency. Aside from the fact they are in a defensible position, and know it, these people will not run because they simply have no other place to go. I understand the desire for swift action, but I would prefer we not lose any more people tonight."

"
Yes, it's the middle of the night. What better time to escape under cover of darkness? I appreciate your call for caution, Nathan, but if these people escape justice because we waited for daylight, it will fall on my head. I am adept at negotiation. If we can secure the entrances, I can try to do that, but if they choose to kill themselves rather than accept fair trial, then no amount of words, in light or dark, will change that."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D4, EN] A royal arrival makes sparks fly - follow-up... - Page 2 Empty Re: [D4, EN] A royal arrival makes sparks fly - follow-up...

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:08 am

"
Of course, Lady Marsten."
says Nathan with a weary shrug. "
I merely offer my thoughts on the matter. The decision is yours. House Bartheld will support whatever course of action you decide."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:15 am

It pained her to see her friend so. She wanted to go to him and give him a hug. He had seen far too much and it was showing. Like her, he just wanted to find peace through compassion. But she knew others would not undeestand that. It would be seen as weakness. And she had already seen one man die from her failure to act decisively. She did not want to see more.

"
Will you come with me, Nathan?"
she asked, tentatively. "
I know no-one else as dedicated to peace as you. We can work together to secure these people safely,"
she offered.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:26 am

"
There is another thing to consider. As much as Lady Marsten may wish to take these people alive, they may have substantially different ideas. They may feel that what they have done is unforgivable, and may fight tenaciously, preferring to die in battle than be taken. A desperate man is at his most dangerous when cornered.

Kevan's face hardens, as he replies. The attack on the inn clearly had an effect on the Marsten knight, who normally seemed calm and understanding.
"
That is exactly what I expect, there will most likely be no surrenders, so we probably have to knock them out, if we hope to catch some alive. And Nathan, you know I respect you, but what they have done is unforgivable. Launching an attack like this on a royal party can only end at the gallows. I know you want to protect the smallfolks wherever possible and in most cases I would agree with you, I even understand that they had some reasons for their actions, but all we find guilty in this have to be hanged..."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:48 am

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:"
Will you come with me, Nathan?"
she asked, tentatively. "
I know no-one else as dedicated to peace as you. We can work together to secure these people safely,"
she offered.

"
Of course, my Lady."
he smiled wearily. "
Whatever you wish."

"
I will even speak to them on your behalf if you like. I am not a noble, and my work in Blackbuckle may buy me some goodwill. I am certainly almost worthless as a political hostage."

Kevan Lyras wrote:
"
That is exactly what I expect, there will most likely be no surrenders, so we probably have to knock them out, if we hope to catch some alive. And Nathan, you know I respect you, but what they have done is unforgivable. Launching an attack like this on a royal party can only end at the gallows. I know you want to protect the smallfolks wherever possible and in most cases I would agree with you, I even understand that they had some reasons for their actions, but all we find guilty in this have to be hanged..."

It's just a question of where you draw the line of guilt or innocence, Ser Kevan. The driver of the wagon is smouldering chunks of meat strewn through the courtyard. He is well beyond the King's justice. So who then? The people who got the wildfire? Certainly. The people who planned the attack? Of course. Assuming you can find them. What about those who gave them shelter? Are they guilty? What about the barefoot boy who opened the gate for the wagon. Will we be hinging him? And where did the smallfolk get the wildfire? Are the people who they purchased, were given or stole the wildfire from guilty? I suppose depends on the situation.

Nathan's voice was soft and tired. "
Luckily where the line is drawn is up to either Lady Marsten or Prince Aemond. You are right Ser Kevan. Where the choice mine I would ere on the side of compassion. Perhaps it is lucky the choice is not mine."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:57 am

Septon Arlyn walks over to Nathan and places a hand on his shoulder, Attempting to comfort him. Speaking in a quiet tone, he says.

"
These actions of a few small folk may likely cause the death of untold more. Prince Aemond brought his dragon. If we do not bring him since people to bring justice to"
murder is a more apt term i'm afraid, "
then scores of small folk, most of them innocent, will likely die. Just earlier today I saw the terrifying and magnificent beast, I doubt it would have any qualms about eating hundred's of people, making the village of blackbuckle seem a inconsequential in the course of history. "

Dropping to a little more then a whisper, Septon Arlyn continues, "
I do not like this. IIInever considered the idea that there might be women and children there. I've looked across the field, facing a man, with my blood boiling, heart racing, and terror of the thought that it would either be me or him. From the sounds of your fight you had with Pate, I imagine you are no stranger to violence and death then I am. But unfortunately I'm am not a very cunning man, and my plans tend to get foiled by my own ineptitude. You however are very clever. If you can develop a plan it will have my full support, and I will do whatever I can to ensure that it succeds."
Septon Arlyn looked searchingly in the crystal blue eyes of Nathan, searching for... Something, anything to help prevent what he was sure could be a tragedy.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marq Mooton Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:03 am

"
Who's land are we on now anyway? Is it not whichever lords whose domains a crime was committed upon who is charged with delivering justice?"
The young squire doesn't introduce himself, he simply acts as if there were no reason as to why he shouldn't join the conversation, he had been introduced to the lady when she was visiting Mountain's Reach, and Ser Theomore had given him a rather sharp warning about what sort of behavior was unacceptable, so he had not exactly been overly chatty with her back then. Then there was some knight and a boy his own age. "
My uncle always let's criminals that he catch take the black if they surrender to his men without a fight, he much prefers not having his men risk life and limb he says."

Marq Mooton

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:25 am

Septon Arlyn starts at hearing the young boy speak. "
My goodness, you have me quite a start there, Ser...?"
He let's the question trail off. "
But I think that I've of the issues that we have here is how to get the hostages away from the men. For the women and girls can not join the knights watch, and even if we"
Septon Arlyn gestures to the assembled, "
promised then safe passage to the knights watch, they attacked the prince, and I doubt that he would be so lenient. I doubt that either the Blackwood's or the Bracken's would wish to challenge his authority in determining justice, and I think it would be wise for us to do the same."

Septon Arlyn pauses for a moment.

"
Nathan is quite correct about guilt though. And Lady Corinne is right about determining these people's guilt. If they gave us the names of the supplier, and the man who developed the plan, and who he was ordered by to assemble these people, we might be able to divert his rather from these small folk and onto the more guilty party. But the question becomes, how do we do it. Nathan offered to let himself be taken hostage and to negotiate with them. If I were to approach with him as a begging brother, we might be able to convince them to give up this foolishness and to tell us who leads them. Possibly this will allow us to save as many innocent lives as possible, and we also get justice on those who orchestrated this plot."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:27 am

Walking from up behind the Septon, Ben gives the young boy a curious look. "
The Septon is right if we do not take a chance to bring in those we can now, they will all surely burn when Aemond gets to his feet. I for one think it is worth a chance."

Not only to save a few form a fiery death, but to piss off that spoiled brat.

"
I have sent for Her Lady's Lance. Lady Corrine, Nathan, Septon and any others who wish may ride out with them. I suggest we"
He looks to Jorah, Kevan, and Luecian. "
ride out post haste to secure any exits."

Looking about he looks to Luecian then to Ser Jorah. "
Yes where is Ser Baelon? Seven forbid he has rode out ahead of everyone."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:38 am

Septon Arlyn wrote:
You however are very clever. If you can develop a plan it will have my full support, and I will do whatever I can to ensure that it succeds."
Septon Arlyn looked searchingly in the crystal blue eyes of Nathan, searching for... Something, anything to help prevent what he was sure could be a tragedy.

There is a certain deadness in those eyes that only now has the Septon noticed. They do not sparkle brightly like they did in Riverrun. Reaction to the fire? No. Longer. Blackbuckle took a piece of the boy's soul, though he seems to pretend otherwise.

"
I wish I could give you some clever plan,"
he says softly. "
but I have nothing. Not for this. I cannot put out this fire any more than I can put out that one."
He glances a the green fire Inn, it's famous door charcoal hours ago. "
Perhaps I will have some cleverness later, but for now we are firmly in your territory, Septon. Pray to the Mother and the Crone. At the moment, they may be the only ones that can help."

Nathan smiles at Lord Marsten. "
I will ride out with you, if it pleases. I suggest Ser Jon Roxton and his men stay here. They have been keeping order in the area and should continue to do so."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:41 am

"
I would certainly argue that it would be better for me to handle this now, than wait for Prince Aemond to intervene. I think we all know there would be no chance of avoiding violence if he is involved."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:44 am

Silent for a long time, stewing in a brood, Loreia finally speaks, with conviction until now backed up by her silence. The contents of the discussion has not improved upon her mood in the slightest. "
M'lady, this act can't go without a second hill turn. If I may add to Ser Kevan's input, it's never merely an 'innocent' fool who wheels a wagon up to an inn, quick as you please, to burn it down and everyone inside. You heard what they yelled out just before they crashed an' burned it to the ground. This was an act of war, an' needs to be treated as one. Knowin' they've done wrong isn't enough. They need to feel the weight of it."

OOC: I qualified to be allowed for the adjacent event. You don't mind if I'm here too, do you?
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:51 am

Loreia wrote:Silent for a long time, stewing in a brood, Loreia finally speaks, with conviction until now backed up by her silence. The contents of the discussion has not improved upon her mood in the slightest. "
M'lady, this act can't go without a second hill turn. If I may add to Ser Kevan's input, it's never merely an 'innocent' fool who wheels a wagon up to an inn, quick as you please, to burn it down and everyone inside. You heard what they yelled out just before they crashed an' burned it to the ground. This was an act of war, an' needs to be treated as one. Knowin' they've done wrong isn't enough. They need to feel the weight of it."

OOC: I qualified to be allowed for the adjacent event. You don't mind if I'm here too, do you?

"
I agree, Loreia, that they must feel the weight of justice. I just do not wish to resort to summary execution. That would be sinking to the level of tyrants and brutes. I wang as many captured for trial as possible. Many will likely receive the death penalty, but justice will have been served better than if we indiscriminately kill everyone."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:55 am

Nathan sat down and continued to drink his tea. He had said his peace. Now there was little more to do than watch events unfold. Loreia was right. This was a war, but it was a war that had been declared five centuries ago. This was just the latest in collateral damage. Most of this was now out of his hands. Perhaps out of everyone's hands once the one-eyed Prince woke.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:57 am

(ooc-more than welcome, join the discussion Smile )
He nods to Lord Marsten's words, and echoes the action with his words.
"
Lord Marsten, I will grab my mount and be ready to travel with you and your men to the cavern."

Luecian gives Nathan a concerned look and tries to help forge a purpose for the clever young man. "
I think we all know it be likely these men be only pawns, their raw emotions sparked to fire and purpose by some other hand. If these men be who we expect, its unlikely they have any more clue on how to go about getting their hands on wildfire than me own self would but sadly get it they did and use it they did. We'll try to do what can be done to resolve this with as little blood or fire as possible but we all know others may want just the opposite. If these men must suffer justice for this crime and we know they must, my goal is to make sure the men behind them suffer too, mayhaps even more if possible. Meself be thinking that few be better at such a thing than yer own clever self..."
His tone is concerned and tired but determined.
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:02 am

Septon Arlyn looks at the grim determination on everyone's faces. Then he slowly begins to nod. The madness had begin when the boy had opened the door. And now like the box of the maiden it has been opened, there was no stopping the seven hells from intruding into this world. The best he could do was jump in and try to ride the chaos, hoping against hope that it would not consume him in the process.

"
Seven hells"
what have you done, you insolent people, don't you realize that you could have just doomed this entire riverlands to become little more then charred earth and scorched bones?.

"
Aye, I will ride, I will not wait for the ladies lance. I will ride out with you, Ser Ben, but do not wait for me, I will follow the sounds of your hoof falls."
and most likely the screams of the dying.

He turns to Nathan, who is sipping his tea, and lowers his voice. "
Young Master, it seems that recent events weigh heavily on your conscience, don't let them. We did not cause this fued, nor are we perpetrating it. We have walked into the middle of someone else's plan, and we have all been played. "
lowering his voice to a whisper "
Now these foolish gallant knights will ride off and tie up this final lose end, while the real mastermind, who set these cog wheels in motion, will have is do the dirty work of cleaning up his mess, and we will be made to look the fool."

Letting out a heavy sigh, he continues, "
but a quick boy such as yourself has probably already figured this out. All I ask is will you ride with us? You are quite correct in your assessment that you have the greatest chance of persuading these people to cooperate, and even if they only know a little about where this wildfyre came from, at least they would know more then us. And they might know some thing that they do not even know that they know. If anyone knows how to ask those questions... I feel you can help me with that."

this took planning and skill beyond that of mere peasants, the cost of that much wildfyre alone must be astronomical. The fact that Nathan says they have a second wagons worth is troublesome as well. If I had a second wagon worth of dragons fire, what would I use it for? Killing those who might come to find you could be good, but what happens when the fire gets to hot and the smoke fills up your lungs. The fire would not go out for a long time, but even then you could accomplish the same thing with pitch and oil, why waste something as valuable as wildfyre... Unless

[url=Cunning check, after sparks fly, you would not do that to us, would you reader?][/url]: 3d6 10

"
Vhagar"
, he states aloud, going white with fear, "
dragon "
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:49 am

Nathan seemed to stare off into space, sipping his tea, only half listening to the Septon and the others.

No noble died this night. Only smallfolk died, burned alive. Smallfolk killed by other smallfolk, those smallfolk hiding in caves, starving and wretched. Smallfolk tortured by smallfolk because nobles give them leave by either permission or negligence. Smallfolk poisoned and left to rot in the street by the nobles sworn to protect them. Smallfolk marching against other smallfolk in a conflict they have no say in.

More smallfolk would die tonight, fighting so their pain and suffering would be heard. They were heard, and the answer would be fearsome. More smallfolk would die in the coming days for 'justice' or 'vengeance'. He himself would soon execute smallfolk for the attack on the Septry, or send them to a life of cold isolation. Those smallfolk manipulated by other smallfolk who were manipulated by yet more nobles that used them in their perpetual chess game where all the pawns were expendable. What were pawns for, except to be sacrificed.

Gods, I want to go home.

'... but you won't because that is not who you are.'

The last thought seemed to come unbidden. Like it had just popped into his mind. It snapped him out of his reverie.

"
Of course, Septon. I will help however I can."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:23 am

Kevan Lyras wrote:"
Well, then let us not waste any time"
, Ser Kevan commented to the discussion, he seemed eager for a decision now. "
Ser Jorah, do you mind if I accompany you?"

"
Not at all, Loreia I presume you will be joining us and we can be on our way."

He gives orders to the Bloodriders and does not appear to hear Lord Marsten as he mounts and rides away.

Last edited by 105 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:31 am

Septon Arlyn whispers to Nathan, [PM]
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:35 am

Corrine turned her horse towards the gate, then looked back at Nathan;

"
I'll understand if you want to stay, but I'm going now. If you want to come with me, then let us go now, before some less scrupulous entity decides the outcome for us."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Ser Jorah Holt wrote:
Kevan Lyras wrote:"
Well, then let us not waste any time"
, Ser Kevan commented to the discussion, he seemed eager for a decision now. "
Ser Jorah, do you mind if I accompany you?"

"
Not at all, Loreia I presume you will be joining us and we can be on our way."

He gives orders to the Bloodriders and does not appear to hear Lord Marsten as he mounts and rides away.
"
Of course, I'll be right with you."

OOC: I know I said I was silent before, but need to add this. After Luecian recounts his findings to the group, Loreia will support his claims that there is more than one entrance to the caves. She'll also offer that her hound could get the scent for one of them and lead the group straight to it.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:35 pm

"
Lady Corinne, I am going to send for the archers from house Dulver to protect the dragon. He appears to be hurt from the concessive force of the wildfyre, and the prince appears too injured to adequately control him. I'm afraid that we are dealing with some desperate men here, and they might attempt to use another wagon of wildfyre to kill the dragon, or simply injure it, causing it to go into a rage. I would like to station them around the green door inn,"
or at least what's left of it."
to ensure that they do not have any more wagons come to finish the job. "
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Corrine turned her horse towards the gate, then looked back at Nathan;

"
I'll understand if you want to stay, but I'm going now. If you want to come with me, then let us go now, before some less scrupulous entity decides the outcome for us."

Nathan mounts and rides next to Corrine. "
House Bartheld will do their duty, my Lady, as I have said."
he smiles. "
It will be interesting to hear what you will promise these people."
The second part of that: 'and if the powers that be will let you keep those promises.', remains unsaid, but Corrine knows Nathan well enough that it does not need to be.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:17 pm

"
Seven hells take the bloody dragon!"
Corrine snapped. "
There are people who need help more!"

Nathaniel Mason wrote:
Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Corrine turned her horse towards the gate, then looked back at Nathan;

"

Nathan mounts and rides next to Corrine. "
House Bartheld will do their duty, my Lady, as I have said."
he smiles. "
It will be interesting to hear what you will promise these people."
The second part of that: 'and if the powers that be will let you keep those promises.', remains unsaid, but Corrine knows Nathan well enough that it does not need to be.

"
Let us pray on the way then,"
she said, spurring Jory forward, racing for the caverns.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2