Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D2, Late Evening] Pheasant under Canvas

2 posters

Go down

[D2, Late Evening] Pheasant under Canvas Empty [D2, Late Evening] Pheasant under Canvas

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:28 pm

[OOC: I am not sure this needs to be public. Obviously I meet with Ser Jon and we have a wonderful evening and I (hopefully) spend the night. My only objective for this slot is to find out more about the Knight. See if I can glimpse anything under the bravado. I would bet money that he knows a bit about me by the time I arrive, so I'd like to see how he treats me. Nathan is a romantic at heart. He's there because he wants to be, not because he's been hired. Nathan's Disposition may improve depending on how things go over the course of the tourney, depending what he discovers beneath the image and reputation. Whether Ser Jon is simply a means to an end, or a romantic interest for Nathan remains to be seen.]

Nathan returned to the Painted World, wrote a quick note to Lady Ayleth requesting a meeting with Davain Bartheld for himself and Yoren Longshore, then set about changing for his rendezvous with Ser Jon. It took him some time to decide what would be appropriate. He finally settled on black soft leather breaches with matching boots, a dark navy brocade doublet with silver etching, and a crisp white linen shirt open at the neck. His good wool cloak with sable trim would finish the look. He preferred not to wear a cloak on most occasions, but it had been drizzling on and off all day.

Last edited by 119 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2, Late Evening] Pheasant under Canvas Empty Re: [D2, Early Night] Pheasant under Canvas

Post by Reader Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Ser Jon Roxton made ready to receive his guest for the evening.

He'd chosen a fine Dornish red for his guest, although he felt his companion was not the type to drink to excess. His garments were less extravagant - a simple tunic in House Roxton's light blue.

Despite the informal meal he wears his family's Valyrian sword, Orphan-maker, on a simple leather belt and scabbard, although it appears the brown leather has been dyed to match the knight's light brown hair.

As the rain pattered off his canvas tent he gestured to his loyal servant, Henry, and dispatched him with a spare horse to fetch his guest.

[OOC: private forum sensible - some mystery here is a good idea for other players Smile Hopefully we'll manage a little here to round Ser Jon out, even if there aren't tons of posts]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D2, Late Evening] Pheasant under Canvas Empty Re: [D2, Late Evening] Pheasant under Canvas

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:04 pm

Nathan was just about to leave when Henry arrives. He smiles at the man in sympathy.

"
It's very kind of you to come for me,"
says Nathan, "
but there was no need. The distance was not so great, and it seems a shame that two of us get wet when only one needed to."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2, Late Evening] Pheasant under Canvas Empty Re: [D2, Late Evening] Pheasant under Canvas

Post by Reader Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Henry nods in acknowledgement but does not bow, unsure of the protocol with this guest.

"
I brought a horse, my master being unsure if you 'ad one of your one."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:54 pm

"
I do."
smiles Nathan. "
But it was thoughtful none the less. Well, let's not keep your master waiting."

[Can you PM me with an Age and short description of this guy?]

Allowing Henry to take the lead, Nathan mounted the horse and followed the servant to Ser Jon's tent. Entering, he smiled at his host, quickly taking in the decor. He also noted the sword hanging from Jon's belt, not knowing quite what to make of it. Was it there to impress? Did he simply take pride in the weapon? Did he consider Nathan a potential threat?

"
Good Evening, Ser Jon. I trust the hunt went well for you?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am

"
I must confess I found it a trifle dull. Poor weather, little prey and no conversation for fearing of driving our quarry off. At least you know you'll get to do something in a joust or melee!"

"
I hope your day was more productive, I can scare see how it would have been more ill spent."

"
At least I had something to look forward to as I trudged through Lord Tully's sodden domain."

Food and wine were brought forth, better than much of House Tully's fare despite the long distance House Roxton had travelled.

Henry pulls out a chair for Nathaniel before retiring discreetly. Ser Jon hangs his scabbard over the back of his chair and sits once Nathaniel has taken a seat, with the typical etiquette of a Reach knight despite his unorthodox guest.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:55 am

"
I spent the afternoon at the Ladies luncheon. I wouldn't call it dull, although calling it enjoyable might be stretching it. Noble ladies quite happily say things to each other they would never say in front of men, usually because it's almost always about men. They talk about their husbands, sons, and paramours. Much of what they say isn't true, of course;
although all of it usually has a grain of truth. While men compete in the jousts and on the battlefield, an equally viscous social war rages across the solars of Westeros. I have yet to figure out what system they use to determine winners and losers, but I can assure you there are very definitely winners and losers."

"
I am sorry you had such a poor time today. I would have suggested some alternatives you hopefully would have enjoyed more. They, at least, would have had the benefit of you being warm and dry."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:01 pm

"
Don't believe half the things my men say about me - they're a loyal bunch but I don't think I could defeat twenty Tyroshi swordman single-handedly. I've trained hard, but even the most skilled swordsman will perish if outnumbered. I'm sure I'd take a few down with me at least."

Jon flashes a grin, his eyes smiling this time rather than just his mouth.

"
None of us get out of the damned thing alive, men and women alike must do something to entertain themselves I suppose."

Jon gestures toward the sword slung behind him.

"
I fear I am more adept on one battlefield than the other."

He then raises a glass in mock salute.

"
Perhaps between us we could rout all comers on either field!"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:40 pm

"
You do have a reputation for boldness, Ser Jon, but taking on twenty competent swordsmen strikes me as... imprudent. Although, I am sure such a story would keep the bards in silver for quite some time."
grins Nathan.

"
I will say that I would feel very secure if someone like you were to defend me. I am not unfamiliar with weapons. Sometimes you need to put an overzealous farm boy in his place, or take a squire who thinks he's already a knight down a peg, but I much prefer a heated debate over a heated battle."

"
Certainly salons and Inns are more my chosen battleground. I doubt I'm as good in my field as you are in yours... yet, but I also train hard. I doubt people understand the shear amount of work that goes into being good at what we do. You need to understand the small nuances of a shifting battle. How does the terrain affect the fight. What techniques do you use when facing a man with a large shield vs. a great sword.

I must understand the pecking order of a room. Who is conscious of their status and who is not. What could be said to a Crownlander that might never be said to a Ironborn. What tone must be used to draw out someone who is shy, or how to assuage a man's pride or diffuse his anger.

The problem with being good at what one does, as you are, is that people attribute it to your talent, which may be considerable, but fail to realize the hard work that allowed that talent to shine. It does not surprise me that you train hard. I firmly believe that nothing truly good comes to us without a great deal of hard work."

Nathan smiled. It had always amazed him that most thought he simply laid around all day waiting for people to bed him. If people realized the effort required to be a good courtesan, perhaps the profession would be better respected.

Nathan raised his glass as well. "
You are right though. I think we would make a very good team."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:04 am

[OOC: Do an awareness empathy check to try and divine why Ser Jon brought his sword to dinner. I doubt he considers Nathan a threat.

[url=Awareness][/url]: 3d6 9

Not great, but perhaps enough for one success.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:43 pm

[OOC: Okies...You will notice these are for my own narrative interest and story. None of them are political.

Ser Jon has a reputation of being 'Bold', but does he respect boldness in others. ie. Is the the type of man who prefers to be the dominant force in a relationship? If Nathan is direct with him, would he appreciate that, find it refreshing, or would he find it off-putting. Nathan can play the game, but he prefers not to if he is there for his own desires. He is not some timid serving wench or trembling squire overawed. How conscious is Jon of his own status and how does that apply to one such as Nathan.

What is the background of his House and the role he plays in it. Is he the Lord or Heir? What is House Roxton's place as a bannerman of House Tyrell. The wiki says they are in the Ring, but not much more.

What are Ser Jon's goals? What does he care about? I'm not talking things like 'win the melee'. Does he have goals? Or is he a 'pursue life one day at a time' kind of guy.

Do I sense that their may be an opportunity to form a deeper, mutually beneficial relationship with the man. He is obviously dutiful and knightly, but is there kindness and honor under that reputation. While I don't expect either of them would want to settle down in a quaint little manor and pick out curtain material, I am thinking that the pair of them would make a formidable team. Ser Jon is strong, brave, and a skilled warrior, and young and very attractive. He also has a very healthy attitude towards sex. He has status and connections. Most importantly Nathan, despite his confidence, realizes that he is vulnerable in this world, and having a strong pair of arms to protect him, both in bed and out, would be very appealing. In return, Nathan is direct, honest, and very loyal to those he cares about. He is persuasive, which would be a benefit to Jon when off the battlefield. He is also very very rich, which might not matter to Jon, but can't hurt. Probably most importantly to a hedonist, is that Nathan has a vast store of sexual experiences to draw on that the average person would not. Nathan could make a man like him ecstatically happy for a very long time.

That's four questions. I'll save the last for if something occurs to me based on your answers.

For Nathan's part, he will be fairly free about information about himself if he feels it will be accepted without disdain or judgement.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:11 am

1) He respects boldness and in particular Nathan's honesty. Ser Jon isn't really aware of his own status - he's a born noble, martial skills and a merited knighthood came to him naturally, not that he didn't work hard. He's polite to people out of knightly courtesy, rather than because he's a social revolutionary. He was chosen to carry the family sword as his elder brother is more of a steward.
2) Ser Jon is the second son (he's just Ser Jon for now), which has given him much of the freedom he enjoys, tempered by a degree of responsibility. House Roxton has large lands but is not militarily powerful, but Jon's martial abilities has won it a degree of fame and wealth in tournaments and battles.
3) He definitely supports the greens - he wants to enjoy life, but without risking green influence. He'd like to be immortalised in song, but jokes that he hopes it isn't a tragedy. Personal fame and the green cause are more important than displacing his brother as heir (he's not interested in that kind of scheme). He idly entertains the idea of joining the Kingsguard (what knight doesn't?), feeling it would secure fame and help the green cause by protecting the queen.
4) You're right he's not the settling down type, he's a sensate and knows how to enjoy himself, but doesn't descend to debauchery or gluttony.

Being true to yourself is important to him - he knows what he is, feeling no shame in it.

Final question welcome!
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:49 am

Soo... not a romantic interest. That a shame but not unexpected.

Well, you don't get much truer to yourself than Nathan. Since he can talk freely to Jon, Nathan's Disposition increases to Friendly. He also a sensate to a degree, but like Jon believes in moderation (hence his support of Davain). Nathan will make no bones about liking men, especially attractive men, especially attractive martial men. In many ways they are exactly on the same page. Neither man intends to give up the life they have, but that doesn't mean they can't work in concert to get what both want.

It's a shame that 'I don't think I could defeat twenty Tyroshi swordman single-handedly.' may be prophetic.

Final question is what does he think of the other (NC) Knights in the tourney/melee (doesn't have to be extensive. Who they are, their general reputation and whether he is positive or negative towards them are fine. Nathan would respect his opinion. Pay special attention to those he is extremely positive or extremely negative towards.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:29 am

[OOC: some of Nathan and Jon's backstory from the beginning of the year (way back in April!)- an intrigue, an official event and some destiny point spending brought us to where we are now.

Given all the in-game darkness I thought a spot of light would be worth shining, and several people have noted their enjoyment of this story thread OOC.

I've trimmed some of the mechanics and OOC stuff back.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down