Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Epilogue] Any knight may make a knight (closed)

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[Epilogue] Any knight may make a knight (closed) Empty [Epilogue] Any knight may make a knight (closed)

Post by Reader Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:38 am

Ser Eoric Tully, heir to his house's ancient fortress at Riverrun approached the Coldbrook tents, unaccompanied apart from two veteran guardsmen. He was dressed for travel, bearing an arming sword at his side.

Eoric cleared his throat, as much from necessity as politeness, before enquiring after the presence of Master Daveth Coldbrook and his guardswoman Loreia.

[OOC: closed - Coldbrooks only, they're welcoming to invite their Bannerhouse and other witnesses later too if desired]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[Epilogue] Any knight may make a knight (closed) Empty Re: [Epilogue] Any knight may make a knight (closed)

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:11 pm

Ser Jorah was with some of the Company of the Morningstar as the Tully delegation arrived. He nodded to Ser Eoric

"
Welcome Ser Eoric, I will inquire within for Master Daveth."

Going inside the main pavilion tent, he announced their presence.

"
Master Daveth, Ser Eoric Tully requests a meeting with yourself and Guardsman Loreia."

Trelane scurried off to find where Loreia was and bring her to the meeting

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

[Epilogue] Any knight may make a knight (closed) Empty Re: [Epilogue] Any knight may make a knight (closed)

Post by Loreia Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:33 pm

Loreia is on watch duty with her pet when Trelane calls after her. "
Shieldmaiden Loreia, Ser Eoric has arrived at the main pavilion. He's asked see you and Master Daveth."

This was strange news indeed. She was rarely inquired after by anyone outside their house. Orders and messages from such pertaining to her were passed down after being received by Daveth or Jorah. "
Me? Why?"

"
He didn't say. Ser Jorah sent me to fetch you straight away."

"
Thank you, Trelane. Tell them I'm on my way."

Trelane scurries ahead of her, back toward the tent. Does he wish to challenge me? I should have known it would be a mistake to offer my sword. But she had, as a gesture of good will for carrying the name of one of the Seven in her title, a gesture she would not change if she could. With her head held high, she marches toward the inevitable airing of grievances that was sure to come, and another gauntlet.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:29 pm

Daveth was caught completely off-guard by the request. Oh, gods. What's Loreia done now? I really need to sit her down and put her through some etiquette lessons if she's going to be meeting so many nobles.

Still, I've had a good meeting with Ser Eoric before. With luck, we'll be able to smooth over whatever's happened easily enough.
He does a quick assessment of his looks. While he does not wish to keep Ser Eoric waiting, he also needs to look his best.

Happy enough with how he looks, he heads out to meet his visitor, greeting him with a respectful bow "
Ser Eoric. An honour."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:47 pm

Moments after Eoric and Daveth meet, Loreia arrives, greeting Daveth with a curt bow. "
Master Daveth, Ser Jorah. Ser Eoric, well met."
The tent muffles her hollow words as she eyes Eoric intensely, braced for the misgivings he would air, and ready with a bold retort.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:30 pm

"
My thanks for receiving me Lord Daveth and my apologies for interrupting your departure, but I have important matters to discuss."

His tone is brisk and even rather than one of fury.

"
By now, I am sure you are aware of the disgraceful scenes involving your guardswoman Loreia at the tourney yesterday?"

A pause for acknowledgement, but Ser Eoric barrels through anything more than the briefest remarks. He is heir to Riverrun and an experienced warrior, used to cutting through heated disputes and disagreement.

[OOC: brief responses/stoic silence welcome before I make my next post.

Awareness (empathy) TN 12 to read his intentions, or you can deliberately fail/misunderstand for drama.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 pm

Daveth notes being addressed with respect, and views it as a good sign. Still, he tempers his voice with caution as he nods in response.

"
I heard tell of what happened, yes."

[No read attempt.]
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Ser Jorah's hand began drifting slightly towards his belt. He was not sure where this was going and remembering what had happened with Ser Adham Tarly last year, this could get quite heated.

[url=read ser eoric][/url]: 3d6 11 - nope and Trelane is not in the tent at the moment

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:35 pm

"
As I said, a disgrace. To hear your guards-woman jeered by those she has spent sweat and blood defending, whether with the sword or in calming the panicked corral of horses at that blasted inn. A woman lauded as the Warrior's Shieldmaiden by none other than Prince Daemon Targaryen himself."

He shakes his head in anger.

"
I would see that she wears the title her conduct deserves, even if others are too blind to see her qualities."

He does not yet say the words, but it is clear that whatever anger is in him is not directed towards Loreia.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:26 pm

Daveth takes a moment to adjust his brain from bracing for bad news to accepting good news, and just about manages to avoid raising an eyebrow in surprise at what the man at least seemed to be implying.

"
I am glad to hear you say that. I, too, believe that Loreia has many qualities that are under-appreciated by many. There are a scant handful of people in this world that I would place my life in the hands of unhesitatingly, yet she is definitely on the list. So, while our house may suffer jibes and malicious whispers from our continued support of her, I fully intend for our support to continue, small-minded naysayers be damned."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:31 pm

"
Well said Lord Daveth."

A smile now, and a nod.

"
Would House Coldbrook acquiesce to me adding my voice to those supporting your exemplary guards-woman? I believe in Prince Daemon's words - she should be more than a simple guards-woman. The Warrior's shieldmaiden should not be a mere man at arms."

"
A god should have a knightly shieldbearer, no?"

What Ser Eoric suggested was outrageous, politically incendiary and likely to cause significant political damage, particularly to a House as young as Coldbrook.

Yet what Ser Eoric suggested was well earned, a rallying point for the Blacks and likely to fulfil a foolish young woman's impossible dream. Loreia had earned it many times over, certainly compared to many of Westeros's knights that none would think to gainsay, despite their faults...
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:40 pm

Daveth opens his mouth to respond, then considers, closes it, and looks to Loreia, allowing her to speak her mind first.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:30 pm

She prayed for a sign allowing her to speak, and Daveth grants it with the look between them. Where she expected to defend herself, she found recognition and praise. But on whose terms, and at what cost? She won't be played or used in the schemes of an outsider. "
Why do you want to see me knighted?"

[url=Empathy vs Eoric Tully][/url]: 4d6k3 9
[url=DP vs Eoric Tully, +1B][/url]: 1d6 1
1 spent Destiny Point
Nature of his intentions toward knighting me. Examples of which I might get a read on: machinations far removed from me or our house? Or something in return? Political cause or gain? Does he believe it's "
right"
?
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Ser Jorah raised an eyebrow a little surprised about Ser Eoric's offer. If this offer was true, then this would cause all manner of problems for the House in the future, problems he would not be able to do much to help with ... he reconsidered that thought, perhaps he might be able to do more.

"
Loreia, you have proven yourself far more than most knights. This is well deserved."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:48 pm

Loreia glances at Jorah. Her facade of intensity is a shadow of the reflection of ire she anticipated;
lifted, but remaining as hard as steel. "
It is, but 'fore I agree to anything, I'll hear Ser be plain. I'll not be blind to intent, and I've no patience for Southron fancy an'...nuance."
She seems to briefly grapple mentally for that last word to come to mind.

[OOC: My Awareness awaits a response Reader, either in a PM or in character...]
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Ser Eoric proves hard for Loreia to read, so she must simply trust to his words and whatever thoughts race through her mind.

"
I would see you knighted for your qualities Loreia. I have known many knights that lack but a seventh of your quality. Those of low mind and lower character will call it politics, but Prince Daemon and myself will know the truth of things: your deeds already make you of knightly virtue in my eyes."

"
Know this - it will go hard on me and harder on you if you accept this burden. Worry not for my ability to bear this - I believe my back is strong enough, but I would not place this responsibility upon you without your approval."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:15 pm

Daveth turns to Loreia. "
House Coldbrook should be able to weather the scandal. Fortunately, I doubt our allies would be upset by this, given their own politics. While we'll no doubt make a fair few new enemies, I doubt they'd be that interested in a war against us - most of the danger would fall on you personally. Far more likely is simply that there will be far more doors closed to us than there were before."
he shrugs. "
To the hells with them. We're House Coldbrook. Never Falter.

"
However, you should well consider that not all of your enemies would be so bold as to seek you out on the battlefield. I'm sure there are some who would be willing to resort to ... subtler means.

"
Still, do what you want. I'll continue to support you, either way. I'll think no less of you should you choose either path."

He turns to Ser Jorah. "
However, Ser Jorah, you may wish to absent yourself. Starting a new job is difficult at the best of times, especially one so prestigious as yours. Starting off by having half your colleagues hating your guts for your involvement in something so political is a handicap I would sooner not burden you with. You are fortunate in that you are currently seen as relatively unbiased politically, and I think it best that continue. You can't be help accountable for acts taken in your absence."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Jorah nodded and turned to Loreia.

"
Know that you have my support, though for now I can not publicly admit it."

With that, he bowed to those present and left the tent.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:23 pm

Daveth Coldbrook wrote:"
However, you should well consider that not all of your enemies would be so bold as to seek you out on the battlefield. I'm sure there are some who would be willing to resort to ... subtler means.
Very comforting, little brother.

Invoking Daemon's name tells her a little about the motive, and she recalls the way Lord Tully behaved at the tourney. Next in line to inherit Riverrun, he likely wishes to use this as an opportunity to prove his loyalty to the Blacks and the Princess's claim to the throne. It would also mean openly opposing his father, in the Green party.

"
I admit, it bothers me that since joinin' House Coldbrook at Grenward, most don't accept that I've always been a fighter."
I've told myself not to care what they think of me. The aim of my lance in the first tilt proves that I've never listened. "
Warriors like Ser Jorah prove and hold up virtues I've admired."
Since coming here, I've always wanted to prove the realm wrong on their ideas about me.

If only she could do without an outsider choosing to involve themselves. Lord Coldbrook would knight her if only he carried faith in the Seven. Daveth wouldn't either - no one of their house could besides Jorah, and he would soon be a member of the Kingsguard. Eoric would have to do, and he seems genuine enough that she doesn't care what color his intentions are.

"
I do want this, for every good purpose I can think of - an' for every wrong reason the realm would wish to punish me for it. I won't be cowed an' shamed for how I choose to serve gods an' men."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Ser Eoric nodded, pleased with both Loreia's acceptance and the manner of it.

"
Quite so, Ser."

He smiles, testing the unfamiliar form of address for a woman.

He rests a hand on the pommel of his arming sword.

"
Would you stand vigil in a Sept to honour the Seven, or have you prepared your soul for this burden here and now?"

Would the realm change here in a muddy field in Battle Valley or the next morning in a sept?

Either way, the Realm would shake for what was set in motion here.

[OOC: -6 influence to House Coldbrook &
House Tully. Ser Eoric is now Reviled (Greens only). This should help drive home the scandal that takes place here.

[url=Persuade (Convince)][/url]: 5d6k4 16 - House Tully's influence hit reduced to -5.

Persuasion (any) check at TN 12 to mitigate the loss by 1 per DoS.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:48 pm

([url=Any Knight - Scandal Mitigation (Convince) (TN12)][/url]: 4d6+2 17 2 DoS! We only lose 4 Influence. Clearly, Loreia's accomplishments before this mitigate the worst of the scandal.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:17 am

Despite finally earning someone's notice and favor for knighting, Loreia's face keeps a grim countenance. "
I'll take vigil in the Sept. The gods know I'm worthy, but I won't deny them witness."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Daveth nods his support, knowing that Loreia would be attacked constantly from here on. Failing to stand vigil would be turned against her for sure. And who knows, maybe the Seven will actually provide her the support they did not me when I was young.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:04 pm

"
Good, let it be done with due deference to the Seven. That will rebut some of the lies that will doubtless be told of what is to come."

"
I shall see you on the morrow Loreia. You will be the worthiest knight I ever dubbed whatever men or women may say in days to come."

Ser Eoric bows more than rank requires to Daveth and Loreia, waits for any parting words and then departs.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Daveth gives a similarly deep bow in response, but has no special parting words. There goes a very brave man.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next