Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D9/Epilogue: MM] Breakfast and Cartography (closed)

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[D9/Epilogue: MM] Breakfast and Cartography (closed) Empty [D9/Epilogue: MM] Breakfast and Cartography (closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 pm

In the morning, as the camps are being packed up for departure Lord and Lady Drakeson host Lord Davain for breakfast, along with Maester Leopold. While they eat they consider Lord Davain's map...

[OOC: Numbers below final assuming Davain does not also assist (a +1 on the Cunning and a +2 on the Language would each garner an additional DoS)

1 DoS on each coordinate adds +2 to each test.

[url=Knowledge(Education)][/url]: 6d6k4+1 18 +2 = 20 vs. TN 9, 3 DoS
[url=Cunning (Decipher)][/url]: 5d6k4+1 16 +2 = 18 vs. TN 9, 2 DoS
[url=Language (Any)][/url]: 4d6+1 15 +2 = 17 vs. TN 9, 2 DoS

7 DoS total.

Copy/Paste from [url=http:
//dragonsdance.
forumatic.
com/viewtopic.
php?p=77701#p77701:1551uyye][D8, MN] Expedition to Treasure Island [Closed][/url:1551uyye]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D9/Epilogue: MM] Breakfast and Cartography (closed) Empty Re: [D9/Epilogue: MM] Breakfast and Cartography (closed)

Post by Davain Bartheld Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Davain entered the tent, arms locked with his wife, Lady Ayleth. Davain was dressed in traveling garb ready to travel after the meeting is done. Giving a deep bow to Baelon and Gwyneth. "
My Lord and Lady, sorry about the manner of dress, but I have a house that needs running and we must leave at the conclusion of this meeting. I have the pleasure of introducing my wife, Lady Ayleth formerly of House Swann."
As greetings were exchanged Davain rolled out the map. Pointing out areas of importance while the others surveyed the map.

[OOC: Assisting with cunning so you get the +1.]
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

[D9/Epilogue: MM] Breakfast and Cartography (closed) Empty Re: [D9/Epilogue: MM] Breakfast and Cartography (closed)

Post by Ayleth Bartheld Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:28 am

Ayleth looked lovely, smiling on her husband's arm. Unlike him, she had dressed up for the occasion, in a beautiful green dress that matched her eyes. They might be in a hurry, but there was no way she was meeting a Lord and Lady for the first time in riding leathers. She curtsied gracefully. "
A pleasure to meet you, Lord and Lady Drakeson."
She hung back slightly as Davain began to point out the areas of importance;
people rather than places were her specialty.
Ayleth Bartheld
Ayleth Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:52 pm

"
Likewise a pleasure, Lady Ayleth."

After some time taking in the information presented by Lord Davain, Baelon interrupts a discussion about troop deployments.
"
Lord Davain, your planning efforts are commendable. May I ask for a moment to discuss this venture with my wife? She is by far more skilled than most lords and generals I have met at logistics and financing... I'm sure you understand that I would be foolish to make a decision about participating without first consulting her expertise. Please, do try the ham - it is delicious."

A boar eating ham... kind of funny when you think about it.

Lord and Lady Drakeson, along with Maester Leopold, withdraw into the rear, private area. It is more a courtesy than anything, as they have to whisper their conversation due to the wall being a mere sheet of canvas - but that is better than being rude and whispering in front of their guests.

A minute or so later, they emerge.

Baelon asks, calmly, "
Lord Davain, this tomb - do you know who it is that is interred there?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:31 am

Gwyn emerges behind Baelon, her face expressionless but for the hard glint in her eyes. She says nothing, but something in that stillness bespeaks a great deal waiting to be said, contingent on the answer Davain gives.

Last edited by 127 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:58 am

[OOC: I'm on my phone right now, but I will have a response up soon. Davain wouldn't of let them take the map to the back room simply because he doesn't know you two that well and he doesn't see a reason as to why you would need to bring it with you. I'll give Gwyn a chance to edit her post.]
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:13 am

(OOC - Fixed. Sorry. Smile )
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayleth Bartheld Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:46 pm

Ayleth is slightly surprised;
even many lords who leaned on their wives quite heavily for support would not admit in public that they needed her input before making a decision. This could mean Lord and Lady Drakeson were a team, and therefore twice as effective as a man alone. But without more knowledge of the pair, she can't jump to any conclusions. "
A supportive marriage is a great blessing from the Seven, and we ladies are always glad to do our part to assist."
she says warmly, although she does not agree on her husband's behalf, as that is not hers to do. She's frustrated when Lord and Lady Drakeson go off to whisper to each other. Likely they don't trust the Barthelds. If she were Baelon she wouldn't trust a girl like Ayleth, so she can scarcely fault him but still doesn't like it. Outwardly she is still all smiles.
She whispers to her husband when Lord and Lady Drakeson had gone off privately.
Ayleth Bartheld
Ayleth Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:28 pm

"
Of course. Take your time"
Davain leaned over to listen to his wife input, nodding his head in agreement and whispering back. When the two return Davain wasn't at all that surprise at the question. In fact he was wondering why it hasn't been brought up earlier with the other group. Leaning back in his chair so that he was in a more comfortable position. "
Aye, yes. I do as a matter fact. The tomb belongs to some ancient Andel lord. There are rumors, of course, of those who might be related, but when tracing linages back that far, details can be... shoty at best."
Now Davain attention turns to Gwyn, return he hard look and leaning forward, folding his hands upon the table. "
So this begs the question. Why do you deserve the whole pie and not just a slice? Half a hundred Andel lords can trace there heritage back to this lord. Seven Hells, odds are that either myself or my lady wife hold a blood claim on this treasure that just as strong as yours. So what makes your claim better?"
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:43 pm

"
Ah, so you are aware that he was a direct ancestor to House Marsten, then. Interesting. Half a hundred descendants or no, they are not Marstens."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:48 pm

"
Like I said, with linages going back that far you can't be certain. Maester Fourthwind has found several houses that could be direct decedents of this lord."
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:04 pm

Baelon shakes his head.
"
Several hundred that could be, but there is one family that definitely is. Do you think that those definite direct descendants will meekly accept that 'could be' and not take offense at you robbing their ancestor's tomb? I do not think so. Gwyn, what do you think?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:37 pm

"
I can say,"
she replied carefully, "
that I definitely do not."
Gwyneth eyed Davain. "
The man buried there was, whatever else he may have been to whoever else, one of the ancestors of the Marsten line. We can show this should you wish to confirm for yourselves. Is this why you didn't approach the Marstens for this venture, I wonder? It did seem curious you were so eager to sign all other hands, then bypassed one of the strongest Houses present."

"
But you may have forgotten I was born a Marsten, and my marriage has no bearing on the insult you're planning to my family."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:07 pm

"
There is an alternative. This need not be an insult to House Marsten, or to Lady Gwyneth."

A wry smile pulls at the corner of his mouth.

"
Instead of House Bartheld demeaning themselves as tomb-robbers, let House Drakeson and House Bartheld join forces to go on a mission to liberate this lord's remains from our enemies in the Triarchy. We will bring his remains back to be interred in his homeland with dignity, and return the lost heirloom to Marsten hands - Lady Gwyneth's, to be precise. Instead of the artifact and public disgrace, you will gain glory, Andal pride, and the treasure you had originally promised us - less expenses, of course. That seems fair, does it not? It is more generous than what you had originally offered us, as the treasure would not be split three or four ways."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:25 pm

"
I know which family you have come from Lady Drakeson. It's funny you mention how you know that this lord is defiantly of your lineage and how you can point out "
evidence"
to support you, but if you look at the same section there are rumors that support a Tullison claim. It truly funny to think that a House from the Vale and a bastard Tully house can have the same direct ancestor, don't you? Too much time has passed for any direct lineage to be found with 100% percent certainty. Your actions this morning are the reason why I didn't invite House Marsten. Marstens' think that everything belongs to them. Even if there wasn't this rumor, Lady Corrine would still try and claim this expedition for herself. All I want is this artifact, not to rob a family of their heirloom. Assist me or do not. It does not matter, but don't assault my character. For arguments sake, let’s say this lord is Lady Gwyn’s and Corrine's ancestor, and let’s say I help reclaim this artifact, than why does your wife get it and not Lady Corrine? Isn't she the head of House Marsten, not your wife?"
Rising from his seat. "
Call me what you want Lord Baelon, but you’re worse than me. I wish to recover an artifact from a long lost treasure, you wish to steal from your liege lord."
Rolling up the map and tucking it into his vest. "
Now if there nothing more productive to talk about, than its best that we be on our way."
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:08 pm

"
So you did know,"
Gwyn says. "
You knew all along. And this artifact, as you call it... The accounts aren't terribly specific in the materials you provided, but it can only be something you deem to be truly beyond price to go through all this trouble. Valyrian steel, perhaps? Whatever it is, it's something you have no claim on whatsoever...and are willing to farm out 'allied' Houses as arrow-fodder on vague promises of purely hypothetical treasure to cover for your act of robbery."

"
It would take a warped perception of things to claim the moral high ground in this, Lord Bartheld...but I suppose that's what it would have taken to have come up with this idea in the first place, so it doesn't come as a surprise. Go on then...best of luck in your journey. And I suggest you start praying there are, in fact, other treasures there to sate the appetites of the sharks you've decided to swim with, or you may find the bandits of the castle are far from the biggest threat."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:23 pm

Baelon holds up his hands.

"
Please, everyone. Let us calm down, sit, and discuss this in a civilized manner. It is in both our houses' interest to come to an agreement. Lord Davain, I meant no insult to you or your house - I merely spoke of what could be said about you if you lead this expedition.

Yes, House Tullison shares that ancestor - indirectly, as one of his descendants married into the Tullisons. A much weaker claim, but still far stronger than any you have presented. Why would Lady Gwyn keep the artifact? Because she has an undeniable claim and would be the one recovering it - via House Drakeson, of course. I am doubtful that House Marsten would see us as stealing from them - nor would House Coldbrook, as they have no claim. No, there would be no claims of theft if we were to be the ones to recover it... it is a matter of perception, you see? Whether or not our claim is stronger than yours is ultimately not as important as how strong those claims are perceived to be - and it will be perceived as theft if you claim it - no matter what you decide to call it."

He takes a sip of water, then continues.

"
Let us set aside claims to the artifact, for a moment. As Lady Gwyneth mentioned, you have promised a share of treasure yet the map makes no mention of a treasure. Can you explain why it is that we put as much or more at stake in this mission with no indication of reward? Now, if you have some other evidence of a treasure, we may be persuaded to participate... but otherwise..."

He lets out a short bark of a laugh.

"
I can only Imagine what will happen when, after fighting your way around Dorne, fighting your way though the Stepstones, fighting your way into the castle - soldiers and sailors dying at each step along the way - when your allies learn there is no treasure? Especially Ser Walton Dulver, who is known for two things: having split Benjen Frey in twain with a singe blow, and for impulsiveness, such as storming out of the treaty negotiations or all but killing Ser Eoric in a 'friendly' sparring match. What will the Ironborn, also not known for patience or forgiveness, and whom you will be dependent on for transport, do when they learn their brethren's deaths have been in vain? Who will they blame? I fear your allies would turn on you, eager to claim the artifact, the only thing of value... 'Oh, what a tragedy,' they will say upon return, 'Lord Davain fell in battle against the Triarchy'... and who would know better?

Or maybe they wouldn't kill you on the spot. Maybe they will simply demand payment upon return... but can House Bartheld afford that? Lord Harald Dulver is not exactly known for being charitable. No doubt the price he would exact would be exorbitant.... and Master Yoren is no fool, he'd demand just as much. Then, on top of all that - weak from troop loss and reduced to a fraction of your treasury - you would be accused of having raided a Marsten tomb. This does not sound like the prudent management with which we were regaled when our support was courted for your inheritance."

He takes another sip of water.

"
This wouldn't happen to be a plan of your cousin Fendrel's, would it? If so he he may be trying to get you killed before you have an heir. I was surprised to learn that he had given up on the lordship - and Lady Ayleth's hand. Perhaps he has changed his mind?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayleth Bartheld Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:47 pm

"
You are mistaken, Lord Drakeson. The map does speak of a treasure"
Ayleth says gently. There was no sense getting angry about that matter, when they hoped to cooperate. Baelon's talk of Davain being murdered makes her angry anyways, but she conceals it. The only sign that she is upset was that she hasn't even touched her breakfast.

"
The expedition will destroy a nest of pirates, lady Drakeson. That is a noble goal, even if there was no artifact. Morality is not lacking in our cause"
she says with quiet sincerity, negotiations forgotten for just a moment. It was a cause near and dear to Ayleth's heart, because of what happened to Johanna Swann. "
And the map does speak of treasure. Our allies take no risk House Bartheld does not. In fact, House Bartheld takes more, since even if somehow the map is somehow wrong-which I do not believe- there will still be the pirate's loot to recover for those that desire gold."

She smiles happily when Lord Drakeson says that if there is evidence of a treasure, he might be persuaded to take part. "
How wonderful, we would be pleased to have you join the expedition."
She looks to Davain to confirm that.

"
Your concern for my lord husband's life is touching,"
she lies with a pleasant smile. Actually, it is an insult that Baleon thinks such a pitiful ploy will frighten Davain. She is furious to think that Baelon believes her husband is a coward. Her smile fades "
But it is unkind of you to talk of supposed murder plots this way to a wife whose husband will be away, particularly over what should be a pleasant breakfast."
A more polite way to say she wished to hear no more of such a crude ploy. She too was suspicious of Fendrel, but not on this matter.

[OOC: Davain will point out the section with the treasure and post the information in his next post]
Ayleth Bartheld
Ayleth Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:01 pm

"
Destroying pirates is noble, yes,"
Gwyn agrees, "
But I rather think if you'd approached the Dulvers and Longshores with talk of risking lives and money for a noble cause then you'd be battling that noble cause alone. They were lured with promises of treasures buried and new...but those treasures are only supposed. Pirates spend their loot as fast as they steal it, and tombs do not always carry riches within them."

"
The only treasure noted on that map is the artifact that Lord Bartheld is wishing to lay claim to. The artifact, I remind you, that others have a far more valid claim to."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:21 pm

"
It also bears to remember that even if the treasure is guaranteed, the artifact is not - there is of course a chance it has already been discovered and removed. Surely it is in your best interests to seek this "
pirate's loot"
rather than the artifact which, if it even exists, is at best politically volatile? Let us take that risk, and you can have the pirate's illegitimate gains."

He shrugs.

"
As much as I would love to strike at the pirates for the mere fact that their presence defiles the land in which I was born, I am afraid our house is too young to risk such a venture for naught but money - but for a chance at an artifact of antiquity, which through my wife my heirs will have a legitimate claim and a tangible link to a storied past... that is something worth a little risk. You are lucky, though you probably do not realize it - you and your heirs have Hart House as a fine sign of your noble lineage. We cannot claim that of Caladan Hall - we have possessed it for scarcely over a year, and there still remain some who feel that it should by rights be theirs. Surely you can understand why the artifact is of greater value to us than any amount of pirate treasure, for reasons that do not apply to you and yours?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:55 pm

Davain retakes his seat, pulling out his map and scanning it. Once he finds what he was looking for he folds it so that only the section he was looking for was viewable. Leaning over with the map, Davain point out the information in question

Reader wrote:
- It suggests a great, ancient treasure is located in a cairn on the Stepstones. You're as yet unsure of the exact location, but time or additional eyes may yield a location and further details on the prize.

Placing the map back into his vest, "
This map is nothing but a rumor that points to a great treasure. In fact, all the information gathered from this map is nothing more than rumors. It is up to each and every lord invited to decide for themselves if undertaking this expedition is worth the risk. You are correcting in saying that this treasure could be nonexistence or perhaps already claimed. I have already explained this fact to the other lords so they know the risks. I have not asked for a true commitment yet, so that they can have the proper amount of time to consider my proposal. While Ser Walton might be impulsive, he is not a murderer. While the Ironborn are an "
interesting” bunch, there is nothing they crave more than a good fight. Taking the pirate stronghold will give Yoren more than gold and jewels will ever do, their respect."

Nodding his head disagreement at the mention of his uncle, "
No Fendrel had nothing to do with this. This map was brought to me by Nathanial Mason, and he had a different plan in mind. He rather I used my house's wealth to take this treasure, whether it was through bribery or mercenaries. Something that is still an option."

Davain's mood softens at the mention of legacies and halls. "
Your house is new Lord Baelon, I envy you greatly in that regards. Caladin Hall is a fresh start, a blank canvas. Its legacy, yours to create. Will you make a fortress that stands the test of time, or will it be nothing more than a glorified brothel such as Hart Hall. (Sorry, I've called it Hart Home a couple of times by mistake.) Hart Hall was what it was long before my grandfather inherited the lands, and while I can do my best the shape it into something more, it will remain a hall for those who wish to indulge in their vices long after I return the dirt. In the year since I have taken over Hart Hall, many still doubt my ability to rule, even though my lands have thrived more so than any previous lord has been able to do before me, yet the doubt still remains. This artifact, whatever it may be, could be my one chance to bring something lasting to my family and show that I am a leading House Bartheld to new heights, instead of its ruin. I understand if you feel this artifact should belong you to you, but I respectfully disagree."
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:28 pm

"
If I am not mistaken, does that line not refer to the very artifact under discussion? I have no reason to believe otherwise... but perhaps you are right, there is a treasure."

He shruggs.

"
Apparantly Fendrel was right - you speak as if House Bartheld is the wealthiest it has been in generations, thus your... frugality... in regards to House Bartheld's traditional parties is unwarranted. I look forward to the annual revels. I expect they will be far more extravagant than the last I attended, about three years ago. Money is apparently no object to you, and tradition and heritage being so important."

He sighs.

"
Do you really think that enemies are the sort of legacy you wish to leave, though? You seem to think that possession of this artifact will earn you accolades and respect, but from where I'm sitting it is more likely to bring heartache and shame upon your house and your heirs."

He shakes his head.

"
If you will let us claim the artifact, I have a plan in mind that will allow us to defeat the pirates with no more than a hundred of your men, plus our own troops. The numbers you are proposing... you would need an entire fleet to transport them - thirty ships or more. I am doubtful that House Longshore has nearly so many available. No, you don't need such a large force of arms, you need a skilled force and a commander good enough to use them efficiently and effectively. I have such a force and I am such a commander."

He grins slyly.

"
Or here's an interesting possibility... why risk anything at all? Let us claim the artifact, and you can have... half? Let us say half the treasure... without risking a single life from House Bartheld. Or only one, if you would like to come along or send a trusted aide to get an accounting of the treasure to ensure that we are truthful about the amount. If my plan fails and we are defeated, why, you have lost nothing and can fall back on your initial plan.... if you can make it work."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:25 am

Raising his glass "
I hope to see you at any festivals House Bartheld plans on hosting, but I assure you that they will be more tamed from pasted events. The downfall of many Lords is that they believe that wealth is the only sign of success. While we are lucky to not want for anything, what of the smallfolk? While I have found ways to acquire more wealth outside of our previous means, that’s not were my success lies. I have taken steps to protect my people from threats home and abroad. It is our duty to protect those that serve us. Image is all a matter of perception. What you see as someone taking what you believe might be yours, I see it as a reclaiming what was lost to the world, a reward for removing a blight upon our lands. I have no doubt in my mind about that you are a skilled commander, but what you offer is uninteresting to me and is highly favored to your family. Not only would you receive this artifact and half of the treasure, but also the knowledge of safer trade routes which will only increase your house's wealth in the long run. And what if there is not treasure beside the artifact? While you can never have too much gold, it is something that is readily available to me. My interest lie with isn't readily available to me."
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:16 am

"
Since we have taken possession of Caladan Hall, we have brought prosperity to our smallfolk, improved their working conditions, and protected them from the depredations of the very sort of pirates you seem so concerned about. Yes, we have become quite wealthy in the process... but that is in partnership with our people, not on their backs. You speak of the money we can make from those trade routes? A paltry sum - yet you are correct, we can never have too much gold;
for that is how we improve the lives of our people. Is that not what you think as well? Or do you find it appropriate to have your smallfolk 'safe' but penniless? That would certainly be traditional would it not?"

Baelon shakes his head.

"
You speak in circles, Lord Davain. You care for your smallfolk and say that you have no need of money, yet your smallfolk do? The treasure exists but what if it doesn't? It cannot be both ways. Either your smallfolk have no want of money, or you could use more. Either the treasure exists or it doesn't."

He sighs.

"
You fear the treasure may not exist? Very well - we can pay you up front for the map, and do the work of protecting your people with you taking on none of the risk. Treasure or no treasure, you profit and your people are safe from the pirates. You say you don't need the money? Donate it to your smallfolk, or purchase grain stores for the winter, or some such. I'm sure your man Nathan would be able to come up with some good ideas of how to spend it for the good of your people."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:04 am

"
I believe you have me mistaken. I didn't not say I have no need or want for money, simply that I rather have something harder to obtain. As for my thoughts on the treasure, I know it exist. You are the one that is skeptical of its existence, but more than willing to offer half. I was simply pointing out how my house would be on the even shorter end of the stick if only the artifact remains. In the end I came for ships. In return I offer you knowledge of safer trade routes and an equal share of any treasure or loot we may find, which will be split between all participating houses excluding my house since we only want the artifact. If you don't want to come, than that's your choice. If you want to believe that you might have some far off claim, that is your choice too. Whether you come or not, it makes no difference, Either way I will gladly be open to discuss trading these shipping lane with you."
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next