Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Non-game Chat Thread

+27
Ser Walton Dulver
Aerion Storm
Jon Templeton
Tristayne Tullison
Darron Greyjoy
Kayden Douhon
Nathaniel Mason
Lady Vaelia Velaryon
Ser Fendrel Bartheld
Reader
Ayleth Bartheld
Davain Bartheld
Ser Alfred Haigh
Dyana Marsten
Yoren longshore
Kevan Lyras
Benedict Marsten
Ser Jasper Strongarm
Ser Jorah Holt
Ereth Redwain
Daveth Coldbrook
Loreia
Theomore Tullison
Baelon Drakeson
Septon Arlyn
Gwyneth Drakeson
Lady Corrine Marsten
31 posters

Page 27 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Go down

General Non-game Chat Thread - Page 27 Empty Re: General Non-game Chat Thread

Post by Ereth Redwain Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:53 am

Hope we can see you back when everything calms down, and if not it was a pleasure playing with you.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:51 am

Happy New Year, everybody.
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:00 pm

haaaaaaaaaappy

Sorry I've been quiet. Been visiting fambly, and didn't have this board set up on the compy here. Finally just reset the password since I couldn't remember it. Smile

Anyway, the game doesn't seem to have moved much...not surprising on the holidays.

Back for real tomorrow!
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Ser Jorah Holt wrote:sorry everyone, but I am going to have to step away from the game. I've got a lot on at the moment and not able to concentrate, resulting in a load of silly mistakes in games.

Enjoy the rest of the game and have a wonderful new year

Whatever happens to this game, you will be missed. You made a fine impact IC and OOC, really enjoyed having you take part.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 pm

I'll just drop this here for no particular reason

Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:47 am

Big thumbs up to Wilson Pickett. Very Happy

The New Year evening my wife and I went to had excellent Northern Souls and DJs. They even did Edwin Starr's 25 Miles rather than the novelty hit he's better known for nowadays, War!

It's small news relative to our current transition issues, but my new roof repair doesn't seem quite the same scale as the previous one (doesn't need scaffolding!) and is in a different location (don't need to worry that the previous job was low quality). Whew! The easier resolving that is, the more time I can devote here, in whatever function.

In other gaming news: has anyone tried the Arkham Horror LCG? It's excellent!
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:56 pm

In my youth I was in a band that did a cover of Land of a Thousand Dances. That was in the pre-youtube era though, so while there may be some old film of it somewhere, I doubt it's been digitized for sharing (dating myself a bit there).

Glad to hear the good roof news.

I've played just about every iteration of Fantasy Flight's Lovecraft games except the two LCGs - Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, Elder Sign, and Eldritch Horror.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm

I played the Lovercraft Rpg but never the board games. I did pay for Super Dungeon Explorers and now kickstarter for Dark Souls II

Are the Lovecraft board games any good and how is the replay value?

I ask because some board games are fun, but there is a point where they fall off and that is why I like to keep several so they don't get boring.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm

I enjoy them greatly, but a lot of it will depend on what sort of board gamer you are. I highly recommend checking out the reviews on BoardGameGeek before purchasing any game, and these can be pricey ones so definitely worth a little research time.

Arkham Horror is a lot of fun and has a lot of replay value, but is a difficult cooperative game. It is also often quite lengthy (hours of play). Moreover, it requires a LOT of set up and clean-up time. It's the sort of game where you would want to set aside half a day just for it. It may not take that entire time, but it could. It's no Twilight Imperium, but it can be lengthy (BGG rates it at 2-4 hours, but I think that's ambitious, or maybe just with a lot fewer players than I used to play with).

Eldritch Horror is similar in play style, though much more streamlined than Arkham Horror. It still requires a decent amount of set-up and play time, but not as much as AH. I would recommend EH over AH for most players.

Elder Sign is definitely the fastest set up and shortest play time, and though it is still in the vein of AH and EH, I find it somewhat lacking. It feels much more luck-based than strategic, and there is less of an element of build up, getting equipment, etc.; it feels like the designers wanted an AH spinoff that could appeal to casual gamers. As such, casual gamers may enjoy it more than I do.

Mansions of Madness is a different kind of game altogether, and in my opinion fits the Lovecraftian theme the least. It is a miniatures-based "dungeon" delver akin to Descent, Shadows of Brimstone, or the D&D 4e board games. It's ok, but not my favorite. I prefer Shadows of Brimstone for a Horror dungeon delver, but I know some do not like it's Weird West theme (Lovecraftian Deadlands, sort of).
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:23 pm

I am opposite of Baelon - I have only played the lcg! It has lots of variety (you randomise some locations, broad range of investigators with different play styles).

Should also recommend Sherlock Holmes consulting detective - only a limited number of cases, but a great cooperative experience.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Triston Tollett Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:50 pm

I've played Arkham (used to own) and Eldritch (currently own).  I've played a few games of MoM. Good stuff. I basically could repeat what Baelon said. I agree with him on these.
Triston Tollett
Triston Tollett

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Reader wrote:Should also recommend Sherlock Holmes consulting detective - only a limited number of cases, but a great cooperative experience.
I don't know that one, but for deductive games I absolutely love Letters from Whitechapel.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Triston Tollett Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Anyone played Black Orchestra? Basically impossible to get right now.
Triston Tollett
Triston Tollett

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Can't say as I've ever heard of it, but it looks rather interesting.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:57 am

I don't mind if it takes time to set up, it can't be worse than Kingdom Death with all the cards, tokens, and miniatures...

Here is the link if you are curious http://kingdomdeath.com/

I believe the box has about 400 pieces or it felt like it when we set it up. You can play it for days and replay felt endless, but you will lose 1 to 2 hrs EASY setting it up the first time, and get quicker with time, but faster we ever set it up was 45mins or so. Great horror game, just a bit expensive for me, but thankfully not my friend that bought it. I ended up buying Dark Souls board game to switch and remain in the horror-esque realm of board games.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Triston Tollett Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Ereth Redwain wrote:I don't mind if it takes time to set up, it can't be worse than Kingdom Death with all the cards, tokens, and miniatures...

Here is the link if you are curious http://kingdomdeath.com/

I believe the box has about 400 pieces or it felt like it when we set it up. You can play it for days and replay felt endless, but you will lose 1 to 2 hrs EASY setting it up the first time, and get quicker with time, but faster we ever set it up was 45mins or so. Great horror game, just a bit expensive for me, but thankfully not my friend that bought it. I ended up buying Dark Souls board game to switch and remain in the horror-esque realm of board games.

400 bucks. Very pricey. I could split the cost we a few people and be okay with it, what I'm not okay with is putting together all the minis required. I don't have that kind of time. I believe they just Kickstarted (or are going to) Kingdom Death 2. What I wished they do is sell this without the minis, or us plastic pre-sculpted minis like CMON does, for a cheaper price. Hell, I'd even take tokens instead of minis. I've heard the game is great, but the entry barrier for time and money is substantial.
Triston Tollett
Triston Tollett

Back to top Go down

Post by Triston Tollett Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Baelon Drakeson wrote:Can't say as I've ever heard of it, but it looks rather interesting.

Has had a buzz post-Gencon. It looks great for a co-op that looks fairly difficult. Can't find it anywhere right now. Not CSI, MM or Amazon. Although Amazon did have some 3rd hand sellers selling it for about 30 over retail for awhile.

Does anyone go to Gencon, btw? I've went the last two years and it has been a blast for the most part.
Triston Tollett
Triston Tollett

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:06 pm

I lived an hour's drive from Indianapolis for about half a year.... right after Gencon.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Triston Tollett Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Baelon Drakeson wrote:I lived an hour's drive from Indianapolis for about half a year.... right after Gencon.

Missed it by /that/ much!

Ha.

Yeah, I have a friend that lives in Indy. So I usually crash there, saving me 100s if not more. I fly in, but flights usually aren't that bad from Denver.

If anyone goes to Gencon 50, I'd happily run an ASOIAF game for them. I'm thinking of running some ASOIAF events this year.
Triston Tollett
Triston Tollett

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 pm

I hit up GenCon every year (I have for about 15 years, more recently it's partially as work, given my gig as a freelancer and stuff). I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I missed it, now. It's become such an annual tradition I'd go stir crazy just knowing I was missing it, and the Indy-only buddies I see every year.
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Triston Tollett Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:53 am

Aerion Storm wrote:I hit up GenCon every year (I have for about 15 years, more recently it's partially as work, given my gig as a freelancer and stuff).  I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I missed it, now.  It's become such an annual tradition I'd go stir crazy just knowing I was missing it, and the Indy-only buddies I see every year.  

Nice. I'm 90% going this year I think. I think some of my "other PbP site" buds might go as well. Willing to hang out with anyone and play games.
Triston Tollett
Triston Tollett

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:32 pm

I know it's very expensive but well worth it if you like horror board games. The thing on kickstarter is not Kingdom Death 2 it's more another giant box of monsters and tidbits.

Assembling monsters can be painful if you don't like doing that sort of thing, but as a w40k player you get used to assembling dozens of models so it wouldn't bother me. Other than the price lol.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Triston Tollett Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Yeah. My main concern is the time and effort required butting together the minis. 14 month old son says I absolutely don't have that sort of time. Smile
Triston Tollett
Triston Tollett

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Children definitely do cut into one's hobby time. Laughing

I never really got into mini building or painting. I tried my hand at painting a handful of minis once for a Mordheim campaign and was told that (for a first time painter) I did pretty well... but it's just not the sort of thing I enjoy. Playing the games, yeah (though I prefer tactical skirmishes over massive armies). Building and painting the minis, not so much.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:03 am

Random video bomb again !

Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content