Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 3, LE] The Boar and the Longshore (Closed)

3 posters

Go down

[Day 3, LE] The Boar and the Longshore (Closed) Empty [Day 3, LE] The Boar and the Longshore (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon May 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Nathan was waiting at the edge of the pavilions when Yoren arrived, exactly where he said he would be. Considering his station, Nathan seemed to have a strong sense of propriety, honour and duty. He had changed from the expensive garments he'd worn at the feast to something far more sombre and subdued. His face was shadowed by the hood of his cloak, but his sparkling blue eyes still shone in the moonlight.

He smiled at Yoren. "
My friend, I am glad you were able to come. The hour is late and you have had an eventful day. I knew that the Ironborn often had a head for blood, but I was surprised that extended to bastards killing their House Heirs. As I believe you are next in line, I hope you have taken precautions to ensure similar accidents do not happen to you. It would be shame to loose a new friend so early."

Nathan's voice was light and full of jest, but the point was deliberate and abundantly clear. The events of the day could not be ignored and no doubt would have an impact on the immanent meeting.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[Day 3, LE] The Boar and the Longshore (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 3, LE] The Boar and the Longshore (Closed)

Post by Yoren longshore Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Yoren tries to jest with it "
There has only been one heir slain over these three days, we have really been easing off on the killing. After three days there should be at least two heirs slain."
Yoren blinks an eye at Nathan, but ruins the expression as he at the same time swallows down tears.
"
Enough about such grave matters."
Yoren says in another bad attempt at humor. "
where is the man you spoke so well about?"
Yoren looks around before lowering his voice: "
we have sensitive issues to discuss, it would not do if he arrives late."
But Yoren seems to use this as a distraction. It does not seem that he is actually irritated

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

[Day 3, LE] The Boar and the Longshore (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 3, LE] The Boar and the Longshore (Closed)

Post by Reader Mon May 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Davain Bartheld stands ramrod straight as he waits for Yoren's greeting. He is every inch the fine young Andal lordling, all fair hair, tanned skin and blue eyes.

Despite the hour, he is impeccably turned out in contrast to many other attendees at the earlier feast who have smeared themselves with grease, ale or worse by now.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon May 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Yoren stretches out his hand: "
My name is Yoren."

After this very brief introduction and the other mans reply he lounges straight into the heart of the matter.
"
Our houses have several places we may assist each other for mutual benefit. Are you ready to listen to them, or should we head to a more private place?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon May 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Davain gestured for them to enter his tent, nodding in approval at Nathaniel's sober garb. Notably, four guardsmen are posted inside - a precaution against more Ironborn wildness?

"
I am ready to listen to anything that may aid my house in straightening itself out. You may speak freely here."

Refreshments are offered, but Davain does not even make a pretence of partaking himself.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue May 05, 2015 6:53 am

Yoren sits down and takes a glass of wine.
"
You have the support of your smallfolk, while not the support of the other Lords I understood the situation correct."
Yoren smiles: "
Other lords will abandon you if you are to take control of the house, this is where I may help. Don't get me wrong, I am not a lord myself, only a heir to a lordship. I may still assist you, not by the amount of houses I rally to your cause, but rather of the quality of these houses. Friends are easy to find when they are filled with your wine, I may help you find friends that will support you for far longer. The friends i will find you may last until their last breath of air."

Yoren waits to let Nathaniel speak his mind too, and meanwhile he downs his wineglass, and starts sipping his second.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 am

Nathaniel looks at Yoren, his face unusually stoic. He purses his lips in thought, considering his words.

"
My Lord. You have said that we may speak freely. I will take you at your word. Despite what you may have heard of me, I prefer directness."

"
I have spent the last three days looking into the currents that run through the Tourney, and you may not realize how precarious your position is. Ser Jon Cobb actively works for your uncle to undermine your position in order to have you removed that he might replace you. Wrecker Jon is a man of strong reputation with many friends. He is not to be underestimated. He has already given large amounts of House Bartheld's coin to Lord Tully to enlist his support on Fendrel's behalf and my sources tell me that Lord Tully exact words were 'If Davain's conduct is unsuitable as a Bartheld perhaps he is no Bartheld at all.' Your liege Lord was only too happy to take the money given their current financial difficulties.

You know what I am and what I do. I am an expert at the kind of hospitality that used to be freely offered at Hart House, but I know that I am and not taken seriously, and I agree with you that if House Bartheld continues to act as it does, it may not be taken seriously either.

Yoren and his House are Ironborn. Many things can be said about the Ironborn, but it can never be said that they are not taken seriously. I believe Yoren is an honorable man, and more importantly, I believe he is a man that can sway both his House and others to your support. The Longshores may have their recent scandal, but no House is immune to scandal. *Least of all yours.* Yoren asked for this meeting to take your measure, and I arranged it so that you might take his. Only the pair of you can decide if this is a match that can benefit both Houses.

Nathan fell silent. He had laid the groundwork as best he could. It was up to the two of them now.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue May 05, 2015 9:21 pm

"
Boldly spoken,"
begins Davain, before pausing to hear Nathaniel's words.

"
Not just a meeting-broker, but wisdom too in the strangest places."

He turns back to Yoren, waiting patiently as the man moves on to his second glass of wine.

"
A true friend is a rarity - you are right that they are easy to find while wine flows and times are easy. My problems will not be solved with the swing of an axe, nor would I have it so. I do not know if you had any part in today's tragedy, but I will NOT have it repeated."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue May 05, 2015 9:55 pm

"
I had NO part in it whatsoever, that man have met no more than three times, all in the span of this tournament I have NEVER met him before, but he is family, which is why I stuggle to give him fair treatment!"

Yoren composes himself: "
we are here to talk of completely different matters: how to solve your own inheritance issue."

Yoren stalls a little as he does not know how to approach the next issue.
"
Now, I am a man of many means. I am also a man with two faces. I am the heir who has to be responsible, and I am the man who believes in what is right. Nathans friendly nature and good advice makes the second face perfectly willing to help you. The first face, however, knows that if I use my title without reason then my father will be wroth Indeed. "

"
So I may support you regardless of the circumstances, but to have the heir of the longshore to back you, we will need certain incentives. As i am not free to act as the heir if my father disagrees with my actions."

Yoren pauses: "
The iron islands hold little gold, so it is always in high demand, think of it as a service for a service."
He adds.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed May 06, 2015 6:32 pm

"
This I can promise you - I will indeed do what is right, not what is politically expedient. My uncle means well, but tends to choose the path of least resistance and inconstant friends. I am glad to meet another committed to what it right."

"
I suppose I should be grateful you do not seek to gain this by the iron price?"

From any other men this would clearly be a jest, but Davain's tone made it hard to tell.

"
What is your price? Resources to defray the fines your bastard half-brother incurred? Bartheld influence to soothe the damage done to your reputation?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed May 06, 2015 6:32 pm

Yoren's denial seemed to satisfy Davain.

"
This I can promise you - I will indeed do what is right, not what is politically expedient. My uncle means well, but tends to choose the path of least resistance and inconstant friends. I am glad to meet another committed to what it right."

"
I suppose I should be grateful you do not seek to gain this by the iron price?"

From any other men this would clearly be a jest, but Davain's tone made it hard to tell.

"
What is your price? Resources to defray the fines your bastard half-brother incurred? Bartheld influence to soothe the damage done to your reputation?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed May 06, 2015 7:01 pm

"
Resources, our land is poor, we will need to gain back what we lost to the Tullys..."
Yoren shakes his head: "
I don't want to ruin your house, but 400 dragons should be affordable, but still so much that I may explain to my father why I decided to help you. If you cannot access these funds I may be able to help a little, from possible certain circumspect ledgewriting... I may sacrifice that much for your cause."
Yoren says with a diplomatic smile.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed May 06, 2015 7:30 pm

"
As you said, we are straightforward men, so I but ask this of you:

- convince your comrades to follow your example, Athelstan may owe you his life, so he should not be hard to convince.
- A public show of support for not just my rightful place as Lord, but also my troubled grandfather, the former Lord Brom Bartheld

We are men who believe in what is right, and truth does not fear the light of day."

"
Wise management has ensured we have the funds you seek."

If ever there was a man that could take in punctuated lists, it was the impecably organised Davain Bartheld.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed May 06, 2015 8:01 pm

"
Know that with with mutual respect we will be able to move mountains together: however I must ask of one more favor."
Yoren pauses:"
I believe that your claim is rightful, I also believe you and Nathan to have told me the truth, I must however ask to get till the morrow to decide, as I wish to listen to the other side of the story before I make a decision. "

Yoren looks up: "
I hope this would be possible for you to allow, i tell you this so that you will not feel cheated when I meet with your uncle."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed May 06, 2015 8:08 pm

A firm nod of approval from Davain.

"
Your frankness does you credit, mayhap you spoke true in the great hall. Ser Fendrel means well and is a competent man, but my claim is the rightful one. Once I am confirmed, I shall need him standing beside me for his stewardship, swordsmanship and other qualities some find lacking in me."

"
For my own part, monies shall be released once you return to us and confirm your side of our bargain."

He offers a hand.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed May 06, 2015 8:19 pm

Yoren shakes his hand.
"
Pleasure meeting you. If you have time, would you want a quick game of Cards?"

OOC/Scene

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed May 06, 2015 8:21 pm

[/scene, as our negotiators turn to the more serious business of cards - they play for small stakes, but it is clear that Davain is a poor bluffer and not the life and soul of a party, but a dignified and fair loser]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed May 06, 2015 8:32 pm

[Heyyyyy... don't call a scene when there are other players in the thread. I still have stuff to do here.]

[I need a word with Davain after Yoren is gone.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed May 06, 2015 8:33 pm

[scene fades back in after Yoren departs in what can only be described as unorthodox but masterful directing]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed May 06, 2015 9:06 pm

Nathan hangs back for a moment after Yoren departs. "
My Lord, you said I spoke wisdom earlier, I hope that you will hear more."

The young man takes a deep breath and carries on, not waiting for Davain to refuse. "
My Lord, you must meet with the Queen. The sooner the better. Tomorrow if possible. Ser Fendrel moves swiftly against you and you need powerful allies to fight him.

House Bartheld currently supports the Greens under your Lordship. The last thing the Queen would want would be for you to be replaced by Ser Fendrel who openly supports the blacks. Also, she has substantial reason to support your claim. Just as she would not see her Heir 'skipped over' for another claimant, she would not wish to see such a president set with one of her loyal supporters. You must speak with her and secure her support. If you have royal ascent, it will make Fendrel's efforts substantially harder."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu May 07, 2015 8:05 pm

"
Wise words Nathaniel, you see things other men do not - the precedent is indeed unkind to her. There are few friends better to have than our beautiful queen. I shall seek her out on the morrow."

"
Though I would not have it said that this is the classic scenario or my enemy's enemy is my friend, for despite it all Ser Fendrel is still my uncle. These are turbulent times, but still none is as accursed as he who strikes at his kin. I fear his kinsman Athelstan shall learn that in tomorrow's trial by combat. He's bold enough to be a true Longshore, I'll give the bastard that."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down