Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Story/character discussion

+10
Lady Corrine Marsten
Loreia
Gwyneth Drakeson
Benedict Marsten
Jon Cobb
Dunstan Tullison
Baelon Drakeson
Theomore Tullison
Ser Jorah Holt
Reader
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Story/character discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Story/character discussion

Post by Theomore Tullison Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Sometimes characters may not mind being interrupted, but the players behind them has a story in mind that they do not wish interrupted.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Okay, valid arguments all around, but in this specific case, I feel pretty justified in saying that Garrett and Gwyn are still in view. That doesn't mean anything needs to be edited. It's a big crowd. Easy to miss people.

I just want to let people know that in this case, and affecting no other threads with the Closed tag, nor representing any opinion on the subject from myself, Gwyn and Garrett are still there. And, in fact, if someone wants to talk to Gwyn in the Princess Arrives, I'd be okay with it...simply putting it after Garrett's departure following our scenelet in the admittedly somewhat convoluted timeline of the overall narrative. Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Gwyneth Marsten wrote:So, I just wanted to say that in the Princess Arrives thread, I think Gwyn is perfectly visible there. And talking to Garrett SNOW, OMG!!

(^_^)

Just saying...they haven't ducked out of sight or anything. It's a parallel thread, their conversation, just to keep us from spamming the main thread.

Lady Gwyneth you have begun Very Happy to stir up trouble between men both in and out of Character. Very Happy
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Sadly more out than in...but perhaps I can work on that. Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:25 pm

I want to be stirred up into trouble Sad
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:34 pm

Oh I am sure it is coming, for both of you.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:I want to be stirred up into trouble Sad

Your awareness roll should give you plenty! Twisted Evil

More trouble stirring by all of you is greatly encouraged an will be rewarded with copious bonus experience*.

[size=50:7ob7ct0y]*Terms and conditions apply. Bonus experience will not be awarded for this, but it's encouraged anyway. Bonus experience may cause heart palpitations and bad breath.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:24 pm

I can live with some heart palpitations and bad breath on occasion. Bring it on!
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:24 pm

Poor Benedict. So very, very friendzoned. (^_^)
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:55 pm

Gwyneth Marsten wrote:Poor Benedict. So very, very friendzoned. (^_^)

Ha. That's were the nice guys always are. Guess I better get a little meaner or I will be first to die as well cause in Westeros they are always the first to go.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Hee hee!

You can be the exception that proves the rule!

Or...or...maybe you're the plucky comic relief? Did you ever think of that?

(^_^)
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed May 06, 2015 10:40 am

I figure this would be the best place to discuss this.
Theomore Tullison wrote:Does Loreia do other things than spar and drink?
There's a couple ways I see this being asked: mechanically, or roleplay. So I'll answer both with one example. Loreia has experience with animal care(Animal Handling). Admittedly, I'm not really sure where I can take this with roleplay. I don't think my dog counts. Loreia once had a position as a kennel 'attendant'(best I can come up with for not being the kennelmaster).

She also talks to people, she has been doing that. I was going to let her start intrigues, but I quickly learned just how bad she would be at them on the offensive vs people like Baelon and Theomore. I may have her assist the heirs of House Coldbrook in the future, considering her Status is equal to Jorah's(mechanically), and she could always just be around to assist.

That whole affair with the Bold Arrival thread is a rarity for her, honestly. It was one of those c'est la vie, "
i'm feeling good and i'm gonna let it go a little"
times.

I'm not putting this up as a counterargument. I assure you, I am going somewhere with her, not just "
oh, I'm here if you need to fight cuz that's what I do"
. However, she is a Fighter, so mechanically their range of actions is a bit narrower. Or, I'm blocked because I'm not thinking of other stuff she could be doing with her skill set. For example, what could a skilled horse-whisperer do with horses at a tourney during the 'off-hours' between tournaments? She's also athletic, maybe there's some athletic stuff she could do? I created a Fighter, so I'm hoping there will be more opportunities to fight, but I don't want her to be just an 'NC' Fighter controlled by a player, so I'm open to ideas and suggestions, especially if that's what it seems like she is a few campaign days from now.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed May 06, 2015 10:49 am

Horse racing coming up (check schedule) plus jousts and melee. Lots of biffing opportunities scheduled, plus anything organic you lot create (one trial by combat due soon and in needs of a champion).

There's also at least one chase scheduled, good riders needed! :;
):

Everyone - creative ideas on how to use your skills are welcome - skirmishes, inspecting horseflesh etc. let's use those attributes. Smile
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed May 06, 2015 1:05 pm

Offer assistance to those looking to buy a new horse.
Get to know the Hedge by offering a good look-over of their horses by a professional (something they might not be able to afford regularly).
Insinuate yourself into the rumor-stream by getting friendly with the local grooms and stable boys, then start popping off a few off-hand statements to embarrass your foes.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Thu May 07, 2015 4:28 pm

Thank you for the ideas. I especially like that one about looking at horses. Easy money there, plus I could do that and put my smallfolk upbringing to use and fit in with the horse caregivers and see what they're willing to share with me. Something about birds and stones...
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:00 am

Was not sure where to post this. Looking for opinions on deception specialties: most powerfull, most usable, etc.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:03 am

Benedict Marsten wrote:Was not sure where to post this. Looking for opinions on deception specialties: most powerfull, most usable, etc.

Maybe bluff or disguise? Depends what you're planning IC.

Remember you can use the deception ability with the various persuasion specialities (p146, GoT edition).

Or, uh, ask Theomore? He's a sneaky blighter.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:04 am

Perhaps something to reflect Ben's adapting to lordship, becoming better at intrigue. Or use his performance at Bull's Peak to get some Intimidation?
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:43 am

You know who bluffs a lot? Captains of the Enterprise. Different genre, but they are leaders who have a valid use for bluffing in political or hostile negotiations - Intrigues, usually Bargaining and Intimidating in game terms of technique.

How I see it: Intimidation via Act means you're pretending you'd go through with the threat, while Bluff is telling the other party that you have the power to follow through with the threat you're making(not about whether or not you will) - or topping their threat in an argument over who's missile silo is larger. I don't see Ben as the type to pretend when Charming or Convincing, but if he's ever in a situation where he has to pretend to be amiable to someone or wanting their respect/affection, or pretending the best course of action is XYZ when it's really not(Convince), then I would go with Act to a lesser extent.

Tl;
dr, Bluff, and maybe Act.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

Loreia Merrgal wrote:You know who bluffs a lot? Captains of the Enterprise. Different genre, but they are leaders who have a valid use for bluffing in political or hostile negotiations - Intrigues, usually Bargaining and Intimidating in game terms of technique.

How I see it: Intimidation via Act means you're pretending you'd go through with the threat, while Bluff is telling the other party that you have the power to follow through with the threat you're making(not about whether or not you will) - or topping their threat in an argument over who's missile silo is larger. I don't see Ben as the type to pretend when Charming or Convincing, but if he's ever in a situation where he has to pretend to be amiable to someone or wanting their respect/affection, or pretending the best course of action is XYZ when it's really not(Convince), then I would go with Act to a lesser extent.

Tl;
dr, Bluff, and maybe Act.

Great post. Both in the enterprise parallel (I hadn't thought of this, but it happens all the time) and on the mechanics side of things too.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:01 am

Reader wrote:
Benedict Marsten wrote:Was not sure where to post this. Looking for opinions on deception specialties: most powerfull, most usable, etc.

Depends what you're planning IC.
This.

Intrigue specialties are harder to specialize in than Fighting or Marksmanship;
each technique has different results. The most versatile is charm if you have the time to use it, as you can charm them and get +1D on the next intrigue, and lower their DR too. In practice that never seems to happen, though - perhaps because most of my negotiations were handled substantively outside of Intrigue, or time pressures, or narrator restrictions.

If you are looking to bolster your performance in intrigues, then I would either try to figure out which intrigue technique you think you would be using the most and put the point there - then it is usable whether you are lying or not. If you think you will be lying most of the time, then bluff or act would get you more versatility. Honestly though, if you want to be all-round better in intrigue, hold off and invest in Persuade or Deception. That gives you a bigger benefit and to all techniques for the cost of three smaller benefits to only some techniques.

If you want to be generally good at lying or withholding information, that would be bluff. Act, cheat, and disguise have more specific non-intrigue uses that are fairly obvious: acting like someone other than who you are (which I would think would include putting on false aristocratic airs) is Act, etc.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:56 am

By RAW, non-intrigue applications of deception is such that when you lie, you use bluff. When you pretend to be someone you're not, you use act. When you try to conceal your identity you use disguise. And cheating is, cheating.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Arryk Darkwood Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Hello all!

I'm new here and was sent the link to this page for help with character creation and now have a chance to use it. I am interested in joining house Coldbrook, really liking the unsure footing its on. I have an idea for a character already but spotted that there is a Master Smith, "
Michal Growne"
that caught my eye. My two questions are, is there availability in the house? And is the Master Smith currently being played by someone? If not I'd like to take on that character. Also I noticed the term "
pregenerated characters"
being used in this thread but haven't had much luck locating where they are, or if there is even a thread where they are listed..

If the Michal character is being used, I have an idea for a Master of Horse position character with the role of fighter. I haven't seen any characters use that position in any of the houses so I thought it'd be fun.

Also looking forward to role playing with everyone Very Happy

Arryk Darkwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi Arryk, there is space in house coldbrook and nobody is playing Michal. In fact, he's not really appeared much so far, so you can make him your own.

If you wanted to play the horsemaster of house coldbrook, that would possibly work better for getting your character involved

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Arryk Darkwood Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Got it, I'll set everything up so it can be looked over soon. Any suggestions backstory wise? To tie the Horse Master into the Coldbrook family???

Arryk Darkwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next