Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Story/character discussion

+10
Lady Corrine Marsten
Loreia
Gwyneth Drakeson
Benedict Marsten
Jon Cobb
Dunstan Tullison
Baelon Drakeson
Theomore Tullison
Ser Jorah Holt
Reader
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Story/character discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Story/character discussion

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:22 pm

it depends on how old a character you intend to play

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Arryk Darkwood Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:12 pm

Late 20s early 30s? Other than being their master of horse, don't know if that was obvious or not lol

Arryk Darkwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Hello and welcome.

My only thought about playing Michal or the (as-of-yet unnamed?) horse master is: what role do you anticipate your character playing on the larger stage? Much of what we are doing is inter-house activities - politics, wars, high-society stuff, etc. To put it bluntly, why would your character be brought to an event like Market Town or the Velaryon arrests?

You don't have to answer here, of course - but I'd suggest having an answer in mind, at least. It'll help direct your character development and activities.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:56 pm

If you are keeping your options open, the pregenerated characters are in the following thread, sorted by house:
viewforum.php?f=77
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:12 am

Welcome. I hope you do join us. But I agree with Baelon - think on what you want to be *doing* in the game, and consider what your personal connections could be. Loreia worked well, even back when she was a mere guardsman, at least in part because we had a personal bond, which gave us good reason to work together, giving her a prominence and relevance to the greater plot that she likely otherwise wouldn't have had (until she was knighted, and she gained prominence of her own).
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Arryk Darkwood Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:15 am

Baelon wrote:Hello and welcome.

My only thought about playing Michal or the (as-of-yet unnamed?) horse master is: what role do you anticipate your character playing on the larger stage? Much of what we are doing is inter-house activities - politics, wars, high-society stuff, etc. To put it bluntly, why would your character be brought to an event like Market Town or the Velaryon arrests?

You don't have to answer here, of course - but I'd suggest having an answer in mind, at least. It'll help direct your character development and activities.

That gives me a lot to think about, I knew I had to give my character a general direction for his life. But hadn't thought of it being defined through his position in the house. Being Master of Horse wouldn't give him any more right to be involved in much of the politics or "
noble"
gatherings than a simple guard. Though if he had a well founded friendship with either of the quarreling brothers or with the Lord himself it would warrant, at least to an extent a reason for being present. I'll have to think a little on that before having my character set in stone so to speak.

Loreia wrote:If you are keeping your options open, the pregenerated characters are in the following thread, sorted by house:
viewforum.php?f=77

Thanks Loreia! I'll give them a look through to see if anything else might steal my attention Very Happy

Daveth Coldbrook wrote:Welcome. I hope you do join us. But I agree with Baelon - think on what you want to be *doing* in the game, and consider what your personal connections could be. Loreia worked well, even back when she was a mere guardsman, at least in part because we had a personal bond, which gave us good reason to work together, giving her a prominence and relevance to the greater plot that she likely otherwise wouldn't have had (until she was knighted, and she gained prominence of her own).

Thanks! I feel welcome, I do still want to join the Coldbrook household as it is the house that stood out to me the most. I agree completely on the bond angle, it is a great means to warrant participation. I wouldn't mind taking that approach, or any other that might elevate the purpose of this character in general. Oh and the horse master's name is Arryk Darkwood. Sorry for not using it before lol

Arryk Darkwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:51 am

Welcome!

Enjoy your stay in House Coldbrook, I see it as solid and strong as House Marsten at this point.

Like everyone has told you already, just think how are you going to tie in your character so he has a purpose and a reason to be around the other PC's. I'm sure other players can give you better guidance and pointers.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:25 am

Just a thought, but maybe you could have heard stories of house drakesons cavalry archers and which to see them in action yourself. Perhaps the thought of training the horses to listen to the prompts of horses intrigues you to offer your services. Maybe in your travels you may have picked up some skills (read thieving) that may have some use to a Lord, But that may not be seen as honorable to the nobles, but none the less valuable plus gives you the opportunity to interact with others. I'm thinking of a raff-like character who is skilled with horses as well.

In the end the choice is up to you. But don't think that playing a low status character should be a detriment. Sure you might not be playing the same game of thrones that other players are, but there is still plenty of ways to interact with other Pc's that do not directly involve being part of the nobility.

Lucien is a good example of a low status character who, through his connection with the Septon and some introductions, was able to fully involve himself into the game of thrones, even if he is a piece instead of a player in said game. There can be fun in both approaches, it just depends on how you envision your character's arc to unfold.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:29 am

Being a Darkwood opens up some options. Of foremost importance, that means you are of noble birth - you might only be 20-somethingth or more in the line of succession of House Darkwood, but you still have more rights than just another smallfolk. Or you could be the second son of the current lord, one unfortunate accident away from being called back to Duskendale to inherit your house.

The question becomes: why are you serving House Coldbrook, and not your own house? There are, again, lots of options there.

• You could have been a ward. Perhaps your father fought on behalf of the Faith Militant but killed in the fighting, and House Darkwood was more than happy to let the son of a lesser branch of the family be ward to a northern house they had probably never heard of before, rather than be seen to be siding with the Faith Militant. However, when you came of majority you decided to stay with House COldbrook, as they are the only family you really knew.[/*Ⓜ5j0q7dmy]
  • You could have been fostered with Lord Tomas for some reason. This seems less likely, but perhaps your father fought alongside Lord Tomas in the stepstones, and a bond was forged between them. Perhaps your father did not survive, and Lord Tomas took you in. Regardless, upon reaching majority you would have had the choice to go 'home', but opted to stay with the Coldbrooks.[/*Ⓜ5j0q7dmy]
  • You could have been a squire, perhaps even to Lord Tomas himself. Again, the likely connection would be to have met him in the Stepstones war;
    perhaps you were squiring for your father (or someone else, but "
    Father's last wishes"
    makes for a powerful motivator). Upon the death of your master, Lord Tomas took you on. Now, if you were a squire, you most likely would have been knighted, and probably would have sworn your sword to Lord Tomas.[/*Ⓜ5j0q7dmy]

All of those would put you being older than Garrett and Daveth by 10-12 years or more, but we could also play with timing a bit and have the initial bond with Lord Tomas be with you father, and that you grew up in House Coldbrook alongside the two of them. In the current game year, Daveth turns 20 and Garrett 22.

Something to consider is what role or roles (as in the ones on pg 46 of the rulebook) you are planning for the character. For instance, as a noble from a crownlands house serving a house with a strong martial bent, if you intend either the fighter or leader role (even if you don't plan to be an exceptional combatant), being a knight would be a natural fit - and might be odd for you not to have been knighted. if you aim for another role, knighthood is more optional. Knowing your role gives some clues to your relation to the House.

To put it slightly differently, being the Master of Horse doesn't mean you are only the Master of Horse. You have some sort of history with House Coldbrook, and some relation to House Darkwood. Those can be fertile ground for figuring out the rest, or justifying the rest if you have something specific in mind.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:16 pm

Arryk Darkwood wrote:Though if he had a well founded friendship with either of the quarreling brothers or with the Lord himself it would warrant, at least to an extent a reason for being present.
I think this has been implied, but I don't want you to be mislead over the situation you'd find in House Coldbrook - Garret and I aren't quarrelling. The inheritance is settled. And even before then, the argument was literally "
You inherit!"
"
No, you inherit!"
(Northerners :;
): ). If you're looking for intra-House conflict, we're probably not the best choice (at the moment, anyway).

Not to discourage you, just letting you know that stuff has happened since the game started.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Arryk Darkwood Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:03 pm

Baelon wrote:Being a Darkwood opens up some options. Of foremost importance, that means you are of noble birth - you might only be 20-somethingth or more in the line of succession of House Darkwood, but you still have more rights than just another smallfolk. Or you could be the second son of the current lord, one unfortunate accident away from being called back to Duskendale to inherit your house.

The question becomes: why are you serving House Coldbrook, and not your own house? There are, again, lots of options there.

• You could have been a ward. Perhaps your father fought on behalf of the Faith Militant but killed in the fighting, and House Darkwood was more than happy to let the son of a lesser branch of the family be ward to a northern house they had probably never heard of before, rather than be seen to be siding with the Faith Militant. However, when you came of majority you decided to stay with House COldbrook, as they are the only family you really knew.[/*Ⓜ1zwnhsvt]
  • You could have been fostered with Lord Tomas for some reason. This seems less likely, but perhaps your father fought alongside Lord Tomas in the stepstones, and a bond was forged between them. Perhaps your father did not survive, and Lord Tomas took you in. Regardless, upon reaching majority you would have had the choice to go 'home', but opted to stay with the Coldbrooks.[/*Ⓜ1zwnhsvt]
  • You could have been a squire, perhaps even to Lord Tomas himself. Again, the likely connection would be to have met him in the Stepstones war;
    perhaps you were squiring for your father (or someone else, but "
    Father's last wishes"
    makes for a powerful motivator). Upon the death of your master, Lord Tomas took you on. Now, if you were a squire, you most likely would have been knighted, and probably would have sworn your sword to Lord Tomas.[/*Ⓜ1zwnhsvt]

All of those would put you being older than Garrett and Daveth by 10-12 years or more, but we could also play with timing a bit and have the initial bond with Lord Tomas be with you father, and that you grew up in House Coldbrook alongside the two of them. In the current game year, Daveth turns 20 and Garrett 22.

Something to consider is what role or roles (as in the ones on pg 46 of the rulebook) you are planning for the character. For instance, as a noble from a crownlands house serving a house with a strong martial bent, if you intend either the fighter or leader role (even if you don't plan to be an exceptional combatant), being a knight would be a natural fit - and might be odd for you not to have been knighted. if you aim for another role, knighthood is more optional. Knowing your role gives some clues to your relation to the House.

To put it slightly differently, being the Master of Horse doesn't mean you are only the Master of Horse. You have some sort of history with House Coldbrook, and some relation to House Darkwood. Those can be fertile ground for figuring out the rest, or justifying the rest if you have something specific in mind.

These are good ideas, I'm leaning towards the fosterling part. I'm sure I can come up with a reason or two for being fostered by the Coldbrooks. And then later being given a permanent position among the house. Thanks you've been a big help.

Daveth Coldbrook wrote:
Arryk Darkwood wrote:Though if he had a well founded friendship with either of the quarreling brothers or with the Lord himself it would warrant, at least to an extent a reason for being present.
I think this has been implied, but I don't want you to be mislead over the situation you'd find in House Coldbrook - Garret and I aren't quarrelling. The inheritance is settled. And even before then, the argument was literally "
You inherit!"
"
No, you inherit!"
(Northerners :;
): ). If you're looking for intra-House conflict, we're probably not the best choice (at the moment, anyway).

Not to discourage you, just letting you know that stuff has happened since the game started.

Understood, I guess I didn't find the full story out before bringing it up. Still, house Coldbrook still has my favor. I have to say though the other houses are all well set up. Do I have to get any type of permission for adding my character into the story as a fosterling? If not then I can get started on putting up the application Very Happy

Arryk Darkwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:14 pm

I don't know of any such nevessity, so just write them up and show it to Reader for approval. Smile
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Arryk Darkwood Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks again everyone, one last question though. Where do I post my character application??

Arryk Darkwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Arryk Darkwood wrote:Thanks again everyone, one last question though. Where do I post my character application??

You can send it (with stats) to Reader (stats should be private), or post your write-up, sans stats, in thr Character Creation Workshop thread. Smile
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:47 pm

Arryk Darkwood wrote:These are good ideas, I'm leaning towards the fosterling part. I'm sure I can come up with a reason or two for being fostered by the Coldbrooks. And then later being given a permanent position among the house. Thanks you've been a big help.
No problem! I like to help.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4