Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sound of Wings (Semi-Closed)

3 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The Sound of Wings (Semi-Closed) - Page 4 Empty Re: The Sound of Wings (Semi-Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Daveth barks a laugh at that last bit. "
Quite possibly you will be! However, in a day or two, I'm sure she'll understand both why you had to raise the matter, and why you wanted to discuss it with me first. But if you go months without informing her as to your intentions, I think you'll find her wrath quite considerably worse.

"
So, I say to tell her. You are right that I am not resolved yet, but my solution to that situation is more information, not less. And another part of my reason for wanting you as the leaders of my banner house was so that I could take advice from both of you. Rest assured that with all the advice I take, I try to consider the biases of the person giving it."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

The Sound of Wings (Semi-Closed) - Page 4 Empty Re: The Sound of Wings (Semi-Closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Baelon sighs.

"
Very well. I truly believe that establishing another strong tie is what is best for both our houses - though I may be incurring the wrath of both my wife and my good-sister. I'm just glad that you did not simply reject the notion out of hand and be angry at me yourself... not that I thought you would. Let's return to Caladan Hall, then."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:51 pm

A melancholy mood takes Daveth as he finds Lord Baelon's words remind him of Ser Jorah's estrangement. Rather than joke, he simply gives a small smile, and nods. "
Let's"

(OOC: And for the sake of brevity, let us jump right to where Lady Gwyneth is.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:55 pm

The pair track Gwyn down to the kitchen, where she's tasting a sample of what the cooks are preparing for dinner. She considers it for a moment, then nods approvingly at the cooks just as they find her. She lifts her eyebrows and goes to meet them.

"
You look so grim,"
she jests, only half-joking, "
Is there an army outside our gates? Well, invite them in...we've supper enough for all."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:22 pm

"
Nothing so dire, but we did wish to speak with you. Come, let us go to my office."

They enter Baelon's office - or rather, the room that is theoretically Baelon's office but is used by Gwyn at least as much;
Baelon shuts the door behind them, and proceeds to pour three glasses of brandy - an aperitif before dinner - and hands them around.

Taking a seat, he begins the conversation. "
Daveth and I were talking about seeking new allies for House Coldbrook. I..."

He sighs, and takes a large sip of his brandy.
"
I'll be blunt. I am trying to convince him that while his marrying Dyana might make all of us happy, it is not what is best for House Coldbrook, or by extension, House Drakeson."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Gwyn blinks at that, then glances at Daveth. Seeing him equally still-faced, she looks back at Baelon.

"
Politically, no, I wouldn't think so...though maybe not as bad as you're thinking. If you remember, my first pick for him was Yves...though that ship has likely sailed by now. And of course, I didn't know of his troubles with the Tullison family at the time."

She shrugs. "
Well, if Daveth's giving up on pursuing her, it may work out for the better then. I'm sure there's any number of..."

Abruptly Gwyneth broke off and her eyes turned suspicious. The expressions. The brandy. The sigh.

"
You weren't...worried about this, were you?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:35 am

"
What, me be worried that you might be upset that I was trying to ruin the happiness of our friend and your sister? Whyever would I be worried about that?"

Baelon says, sarcasm think in his voice.
"
It would be the first time I've tasted the fire of your anger. You know it's one of the things I love about you... but not so much when it is directed at me."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:22 am

"
I'm not necessarily giving up."
Daveth speaks up. "
But I am aware that I lack ... perspective here, and House Coldbrook only has one opportunity at a good marriage. I wanted you both here in part for your advice. It would be foolish to ignore it just because my instinctive reaction is to say 'no'.

"
If even you are saying my current course of action is unwise, Gwyneth, then ... that adds weight to Baelon's argument. The house must always come first."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:12 am

"
It's not ruining anything to point out possible difficulties in an idea,"
Gwyn replies. "
Just as it's a fact that political realities aren't the only factors that play into a good match. If that was the case, I'd be Gwyn Tullison right now."

She grins at Baelon and turns her attention to Daveth.

"
You're the one who has to live with this, not Baelon and not me. What happens to the Coldbrooks does affect us, but in this case it's not so much that marrying Dyana is a bad idea...it's that you could probably stand to gain much more from other matches. It's true that the Marstens and the Coldbrooks are already allied, and that sealing that deal with marriage only serves to make something that already exists stronger, rather than getting you something you don't have at all. One might even argue that my marriage to Baelon in some ways serves that purpose already, though I think that's overstating things a bit. We are your liege House, but we are not Coldbrooks."

Gwyn paused for a moment, thinking, then said, "
Perhaps, given that Dyana's going to be taking some time regardless, it wouldn't hurt to do some sniffing around, and discretely see what your options are? Then we'd have a clearer idea of the opportunity cost of taking Dyana's hand would be."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:23 am

Baelon nods.

"
I actually suggested Yve Tullison again. Daveth will be in Mountain's Reach soon, so he will have a chance to get to know her. Ensuring long-lasting peace with House Tullison would be no small prize, and Lady Yve herself has been significantly involved in the management of House Tullison since her lady mother fell ill, so I have no doubt that she has skills of use to a developing young house... not to mention the valuable social connections.

"
However, I am not particularly familiar with the selection of eligible young ladies, so there may be other options worth considering."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:47 am

"
Mmm...Yves is a good match on the cover of the book,"
Gwyn agrees, "
But before she'll marry anyone, Dunstan has to be wed to someone she trusts. There's no harm in putting Daveth's name out, but it's definitely a long range shot on a windy day for now."

"
But there's other options. I'll do some nosing around, write a few letters, see what comes of it."

"
Daveth, what sort of wife interests you most? My sister notwithstanding."
She smiles.
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:52 pm

"
What sort of wife?"
Daveth muses. "
Someone I can trust."
he responds with a nod, looking into the middle distance. "
And trust in - they should be reliable."

"
I'm the Knight of Stones."
Dyana blinks, almost surprised by herself, then looks at him. "
It was I who unhorsed two men in the joust as a mystery knight, who took a heavy blow from Ser Addam Tarly, who broke three lances against Ser Errik of the Kingsguard. I will fight in the Grand Melee the day after tomorrow."
Her eyes look at Daveth with some confusion, as if unsure of what the hell their owner is doing.

Daveth looks uncomfortable, and stands, still holding his glass, sipping from it reflexively on occasion as he paces around, feeling too uncomfortable to sit still. "
They should have an understanding of duty. Mine keep me so busy that I would probably not be able to spare her the time she'd desire. At least until we get a maester, and maybe even then."

Dyana shakes her head. "
I am not proud of my accomplishments. Not exactly. Of my skills, perhaps... but my deeds are duty, and none of them are worthy of a lady's pride."

"
Ideally, she'd have useful skills to bring to the house, and support me. I'm tired of holding up the entire edifice by myself."

When Daveth has sat down, and is looking at Dyana, there is a moment of silence. She stays still, weighing perhaps the same doubt as before her request;
a remnant of it. Time stretches lightly, not because it has actually passed long, but for the awkwardness the silence was almost allowing to creep in. Before that happens, though, she moves to him, slowly;
runs her arms around his chest in a soft embrance, and rests her head on his shoulder, with eyes closed.

And just holds him.

"
And, of course, political connections are necessary. There are dark times ahead, when no house can stand alone, and their ability to survive will be determined by the strength and number of their friendships."

One of Daveth's hands reaches up, and gently strokes Dyana's chin to still her motion, and leans in to kiss her. Unlike last time, this is not an unconscious instinct, but a definite choice. Unlike last time, he doesn't meet her eyes with uncertainty as to if she'll accept him, but with confidence and reassurance.

Unlike last time, he doesn't limit himself to a brief peck.

He doesn't lean his body into hers, doesn't push for more than a kiss. Doesn't try and tilt her head up to enter a more dominant position. He just takes all the words he couldn't say before, all the words he could have said just now, and expresses them the only way he can.

A hand rises between them but, unlike last time, it does not interpose. It reaches, for his chest, for his neck, then travels forward and caresses Daveth's nape as she leans into him.

Her other hand is supporting her half-sitting position in the bed. With nothing to support it, the sheets' loyalty slowly falters. Time slows down and speed ups simultaneously, and Dyana's heart begins to race. Her mind races, as well, but it stops, at the same time. There is so much to think about, to consider, to decide, to understand. And then, there is nothing to doubt. She'd always followed her heart, even when the way seemed difficult, or unlikely. Now, it just felt... right. Here was someone she could rely on, and trust, and any thought or word against that must be cast aside.

Because she wants to.

This time, no one is mistaken, or unaware of what they are getting into. This time, they know each other. This time, it is a definite choice.

So, what? You're going to let hormones make your decisions for you now? Think about this rationally. Yes, she's attractive. Yes, she likes you. But her skills are completely superfluous, her connections are superfluous. Her reputation is an outright negative-

Daveth, having trailed off for a few seconds, growls in frustration, and explodes. "
She is not a fucking shopping list!"
, hurling his mostly-empty glass against a far wall, fortunately away from the Drakesons, shattering it into pieces that scatter across the floor, the remaining brandy a splattered stain across the wall.

A moment passes, and Daveth blinks, and seems to realise where he is and what he's done. His face turns a very unlordly shade of pink, right to his ears, and his hands fly to cover his mouth in shock as he turns to the Drakesons. "
My gods, I'm so sorry."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Gwyn jumps a little at the outburst, but covers her mouth at Daveth's sudden and intense embarrassment. Her shoulders shake as she laughs, until she has enough composure to joke, "
Well, your tempers are certainly compatible."

Then, more gently, "
There's more to what makes a good couple than politics, even if politics shouldn't be ignored. No one's asking you to give up on Dyana yet. Give me some time to investigate who else is out there, open to a match. Much can change over even a little time, as we've all found out. It will never be a bad thing to have more than one possible plan to move forward."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Daveth's hands fall slightly, so it's just his fingers covering his mouth, and he nods slightly. "
That's probably wise, thank you."
he speaks in a soft voice, still obviously deeply embarrassed.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Baelon smiles.

"
To be honest, it's refreshing to see you express your emotions... though you may want to practice doing so a little less... messily."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Daveth can't help himself. He chuckles at Baelon's comment, and finally lowers his hands, though his cheeks still burn. "
Noted. I- ... ah, some ideas just get under my skin more than I expect."
He looks over at the shattered glass and shakes his head. "
Your servants are going to be *so* glad when I leave."
he mutters dryly.

He turns back. "
Moving on, before I self-immolate from embarrassment. I n- would like something from the both of you. I've told you both that I am trying to walk away from ... well, anything to do with Ser Theomore. I would like if that didn't spread. Right now, I think the knowledge that I'm on it is a key reason why my father's not done anything ... unwise yet. And if that news reaches any Coldbrook ears, it will likely sooner or later reach my father, and I'd sooner not take that risk, until I've found some way to cool his wrath. Once I've somehow found a way to do that, I can be open about my intentions, but not before.

"
I understand that he's your liege lord, so this is a somewhat awkward position I'm putting you in, but I think you understand my reasons."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:11 pm

"
It's only awkward if he asks us to our faces,"
Gwyn says smoothly. "
And I'm sure you can imagine how often that happens. As far as I'm concerned, all that talk is in the strictest confidence."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:44 pm

"
I may have sworn to your father, but I would not have done so if I did not have more faith in his heirs' leadership than I do in his. Sometimes what is best for the house means keeping the Lord unaware. Of course, I would be rather angry if vassal were lying to me... "

He shrugs.

"
It's worth the risk."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Daveth gives a small smile. "
Thank you both, again."

(OOC: And frankly, I think that's it for this 'short thread in which I have no particular agenda' :;
): . Unless either of you have something else you wish to raise, I think we can end it here.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:06 pm

(hehe, nope, that's fine...a fine end to a thread that started out just me narrating some private dice rolls Smile )
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:15 pm

[I'm good with ending here. Moved some interpersonal plotlines along in interesting ways, but I don't think there's much more to be done here.
Further, we're about a quarter of the way through Day 1 of Story 2, we might want to focus our attention there now.]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4