Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D4, LM] Assembly (Open)

+11
Baelon Drakeson
Jamys Rivers
Ser Jorah Holt
Yoren longshore
Kevan Lyras
Theomore Tullison
Benedict Marsten
Septon Arlyn
Nathaniel Mason
Samurel Manderly
Lady Corrine Marsten
15 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

[D4, LM] Assembly (Open) - Page 2 Empty Re: [D4, LM] Assembly (Open)

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Kevan Lyras wrote:
"
I have to say I share your skepticism Nathan, but we have to ignore that. If we do not give our best efforts to provide justice and a peace treaty for this crimes, how can we expect anybody to respect our decision?"

Septon Arlyn let's out a heavy sigh, "
I do not envy Lord Tully's position here,"
for his holdings and strength are not much bigger then either of these houses, "
but the king has charged us to find peace between these two houses. May the father guide us in making a fair judgement. But if Nathan is correct and our treaty will do little more then delay hostilities, then I would suggest making such a treaty that would severely hamper the military growth of the respective houses. What do any of the assembled think might be the best way to accomplish this goal? "
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:13 pm

"
Well. We can start by making them feed and shelter their people."
says Nathan dryly. "
The ones they have left, anyway."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:17 pm

Yoren butts into the converation: "
House Longshore will support any attempt to feed and clothe the smallfolk. This should be our main concern here."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Nathaniel Mason wrote:"
Well. We can start by making them feed and shelter their people."
says Nathan dryly. "
The ones they have left, anyway."

Septon Arlyn nods in agreement. "
Aye the boy speaks true. Should we develop a charter or convention to protect the small folk? To ensure that these mighty lords do not squander resources on their military until their Small Folk are taken care of? To ensure that there are harsh penalties for targeting the smallfolk and their lively hoods?"
That is almost slanderous, I wonder how it will be received.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Septon Arlyn wrote:
Kevan Lyras wrote:
"
I have to say I share your skepticism Nathan, but we have to ignore that. If we do not give our best efforts to provide justice and a peace treaty for this crimes, how can we expect anybody to respect our decision?"

Septon Arlyn let's out a heavy sigh, "
I do not envy Lord Tully's position here,"
for his holdings and strength are not much bigger then either of these houses, "
but the king has charged us to find peace between these two houses. May the father guide us in making a fair judgement. But if Nathan is correct and our treaty will do little more then delay hostilities, then I would suggest making such a treaty that would severely hamper the military growth of the respective houses. What do any of the assembled think might be the best way to accomplish this goal? "

"
You believe reducing their miltary force will reduce future bloodshed? From what I have seen a great many deaths have come from subterfuge and sabotage."
Ben seems genuinely curious rather than sarcastic.

Looking to Yoren he responds. "
It should be the Blackwoods and Brackens main concern. Theses are their smallfolk. I believe in aiding those who need immediate attention, but we can not let these two houses out of their main function, to provide for their people. Let them carry dead children to graves and feed farmers with no crops. Perhaps then they might see the damage their stupidity creates."

(Ooc: slow typing)
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:31 pm

"
Lord Ben, are you suggesting that we have the blackwoods fund the cost of restoring of blackbuckle and paying for the cost of feeding the smallfolk on brackens lands? What should we have done about the mines, where the brackens attacked first but the blackwoods damaged their functionality"

"
And my hope is that if we hamper the ability of these two houses to wage war, and make them responsible for the betterment of their own people and lands, then hopefully they will be less inclined to attack and more inclined to trade."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Septon Arlyn wrote:"
Lord Ben, are you suggesting that we have the blackwoods fund the cost of restoring of blackbuckle and paying for the cost of feeding the smallfolk on brackens lands? What should we have done about the mines, where the brackens attacked first but the blackwoods damaged their functionality.

"
I have few solid witnesses and little evidence, so I make no assumptions of who did what. I think they both perpetuate this fued. Let them mend its damage together. And not by proxies or servants.

Its no secret I have fought on the Blackwoods side. I taught the villagers of a tiny hamlet on the border to defend themselves. I repelled incursions side by side with those people, who fed and sheltered me. I buried many of those people with my own two hands and gave them their last rites. That is what gives a man a true perspective of what it means to lead people."

After a short pause to resume his failing composure he adds. "
I can name them all."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Septon Arlyn wrote:"
Lord Ben, are you suggesting that we have the blackwoods fund the cost of restoring of blackbuckle and paying for the cost of feeding the smallfolk on brackens lands?

[OOC: Actually, I have a thread planned with Reader with Ser Myles for an Intrigue that does exactly this in the MM timeslot, but obviously I do not know the outcome..]

Benedict Marsten wrote:"
It should be the Blackwoods and Brackens main concern. Theses are their smallfolk. I believe in aiding those who need immediate attention, but we can not let these two houses out of their main function, to provide for their people. Let them carry dead children to graves and feed farmers with no crops. Perhaps then they might see the damage their stupidity creates."

Benedict Marsten wrote:I think they both perpetuate this fued. Let them mend its damage together. And not by proxies or servants.

"
And if they choose to continue to ignore their duty, my Lord? What then? It will not be the nobles who suffer. It will not be Lord Bracken or Lord Blackwood who goes hungry or dies in the coming cold.

Perhaps, if these Houses no longer wish to be burdened by their people, we should relieve them of some of that burden. Perhaps we should resettle any of the smallfolk who no longer want any part of their personal vendetta. Let them fight their war with no-one to feed their armies, mine their ore or march to their deaths. If these Houses wish to continue their feud, let them hash it out between themselves. Let them pay the price themselves rather than foisting it on innocent people who simply wish to live out their lives in peace."

Last edited by 119 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:12 pm

"
Exactly. Their wealth, influence and power are not their most valuable resource. It is the one they treat with the least care, their people.

There is a third party to blame here as well, but one we hold little influence over in this treaty. Lord Tully."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:29 pm

Ser Jorah and Trelane entered the room.

"
My apologies for being late."

ooc
Jamys Rivers has been around as I've been talking to him and I've pointed him at this thread.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:33 pm

Nathan noted the blithe change of subject but said nothing. The very idea that smallfolk could simply decide to leave was an anathema to the entire noble system. As good a man as Lord Marsten was, he was a noble. The idea that their men might suddenly decide not to serve them or their smallfolk might decide to move away threatened their entire way of life.

Aside from the young spy trying his best to pretend none of this was his concern, Nathan become keenly aware he was probably the only commoner in the room. It was surprising anyone listened to him at all.

If it gets much worse for the smallfolk, you might all be in for a rude surprise. If this situation goes as badly as it could, this entire conversation will be moot.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:35 pm

"
While I agree that the smallfolk have been grossly wronged, and we must address that, let us not get too much into details and plans while we are yet waiting on others. I would have all Houses hear and share views,"
Corrine interjects, with a tactful gentleness.

Ser Jorah Holt wrote:Ser Jorah and Trelane entered the room.

"
My apologies for being late."

ooc
Jamys Rivers has been around as I've been talking to him and I've pointed him at this thread.

[ooc: Ah ok. Fair enough. I'll hold off a bit longer then.]

"
Welcome, Ser Jorah. Thank you for coming. Please be seated, if you wish. We will begin shortly."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Jorah nodded, taking a seat.

"
Sounded like quite the discussion before I arrived."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:14 pm

"
It does not exactly speak to Lord Tully's credit that the king has tasked other houses to exercise such duties one ordinarily would expect the Lord Paramount to fulfill."
Theomore comments dryly. "
And the share he receives of the harvests and incomes from Raventree and Stone Hedge will be reduced from the fighting."

That other matter Theomore cares not to partake in it's discussion.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:"
It does not exactly speak to Lord Tully's credit that the king has tasked other houses to exercise such duties one ordinarily would expect the Lord Paramount to fulfill."
Theomore comments dryly. "
And the share he receives of the harvests and incomes from Raventree and Stone Hedge will be reduced from the fighting."

That other matter Theomore cares not to partake in it's discussion.

"
It does indeed speak badly for Lord Tully. But it is not our place to question our King's judgement, only to obey his will."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:33 pm

"
Quite so, my lady."
Not speaking much worked out nicely, too. Sit and wait for others to bring up the subjects worth discussing. "
And the first order of business is to restore his peace. Then deliver his justice to those who have broken it."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Septon Arlyn looked at Nathan after speaking of letting the small folk decide where they wanted to live. careful Goodman Nathan, we have many Lord's, Ladies, and Ser's in our presence that might take offence to your words. I trust a great many of them will not, but with recent events I doubt that a person could be too careful, least they themselves get accused of subverting the kings justice.

Septon Arlyn gives an amniable nod as Ser Jorah and Ser Theomore enter

Ye gods this talk of political ramifications is thirsty work. Septon Arlyn gestures to a servant to come attend to him.

"
Ser Theomore speaks rightly. We need to restore the kings peace,"
such as it was. "
My hope is that we can all arrive shortly so that Lady Corinne can discuss the details of what brings us here today"

OOC [url=Empathy towards Nathan, how does he feel about the small folk. Assembly day 4][/url]: 3d6 11

Well it's higher then a nine, if it works/ Septon Arlyn can tell this is an important issue to you, then I would want to speak with you sometime today about it

Samuel, if you wish to meet me you can take that servant that I was motioning to as yourself.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:26 pm

"
The issue that may arise, I think."
Theomore decides to break this topic now rather than later. "
Is that the king's justice may well need to be inadequate, considering such atrocities we have seen."

"
The king's justice is ultimately about securing the king's peace, the laws exists to enforce the peace, punishment exists to enforce the laws, but considerable leeway exists when determining appropriate punishment, because sometimes, the peace is best served by being lenient, other times it is best served by being harsh."
And most lords liked the ability to use the laws to serve their own ends, that too. A happy Lord was less likely to grow truculent. Well, the kings themselves didn't mind a little flexibility.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:53 pm

"
So your suggesting that at this time it might be best to be lenient, Ser Theomore?"
Asks Septon Arlyn curiously.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamys Rivers Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:54 pm

Jamys Rivers arrived quietly, clad in his finest clothing but attempting to draw as little attention as possible. He nodded to Lady Marsten and Septon Arlyn, but held his peace.

Jamys Rivers

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:06 pm

Septon Arlyn wrote:
OOC [url=Empathy towards Nathan, how does he feel about the small folk. Assembly day 4][/url]: 3d6 11

Well it's higher then a nine, if it works/ Septon Arlyn can tell this is an important issue to you, then I would want to speak with you sometime today about it

OOC: Passive Deception is 12. Poor Septon playing to his meme again I see.

Clearly, by his tone, and his rather pointed words, he believes that both Houses have been abysmally negligent in their duties to their people. Whether his suggestion to 'relocate' smallfolk who no longer wish to be suffer under the consequences of this pointless feud is for their benefit, or to inflict damage on both Houses is hard to say. Or it could simply be a logical solution to the problem. If you cannot remove the cause of the suffering, remove the victim. Given all his efforts up till now, it does not take a roll to determine that Blackbuckle, at least, is an important issue to him.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:21 pm

"
That may well depend on who the culprits of the transgressions, are, my good septon."
Theomore gives himself time to think. "
If we find the men that poured poison in the well of Blackbuckle, their punishment will be harsh indeed. But if we find that the house they serve are to blame as a whole, and we can prove it, administrating justice that feels appropriate may be very difficult."
Though the treaty would likely be a disappointment to a great many people.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamys Rivers Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:15 am

[OOC - *reads back over the thread* Yikes, Jamys missed some really good discussion. Any chance someone wants to catch him up on what has been said? I need to improve my skills at keeping track of multiple forums. This game is far more complex than any PBP I've done before... :? Sorry I missed the invite Lady Marsten.]

Jamys speaks up. "
Forgive my lateness my lady, but I appear to have missed some key points in the discussion. What, may I ask, are we discussing?"

Jamys Rivers

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:31 am

"
With Lady Corinne's permission I will explain to Jamy's what has been discussed previously."

Turning to Theomore , "
while it might be more convient for the kings peace, I would be afraid that of we are too lax on the punishment for the atrocities committed here that it might set a bad prescient for future generations. But the mother does wish for us to show Mercy."
Septon Arlyn thinks for a moment. "
What if we make a charter to protect the small folk. Giving them some legal recourse to object to their Lieges lord if gross violations of their rights have happened?"
this would not directly effect any of the Lord here but might allow these poor people she recourse of hostilities such as these arise again.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:55 am

"
Permission granted, Septon. If you are able to make a brief summary, then I commend you. Once you have appraised Jamys of our informal discussion, we shall begin the meeting proper."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next