Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watching the gods work (epilogue) (open)

+6
Lady Corrine Marsten
Derrock Swann
Septon Arlyn
Kevan Lyras
Baelon Drakeson
Yoren longshore
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Watching the gods work (epilogue) (open) Empty Watching the gods work (epilogue) (open)

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:51 pm

(Thread for non participants watching the duel between Benjen and Jorah)

this is what justice is in westeros Yoren muses to himself. The strongest man determines what is fact and what is lies. Hopefully this will end with the truth winning forward, but determining guilt at swordpoint seems wrong... Yoren looks around at the exited faces justice or no, people seem to enjoy it.
Raising his head he looks around for familiar faces.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Watching the gods work (epilogue) (open) Empty Re: Watching the gods work (epilogue) (open)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:19 pm

Baelon watches the unfolding trial, his face an inscrutable (he thinks) mask.

If what I heard about the court case is true, it was a bit of a farce. Still, Becca says that this Brenna woman was truly devastated... and no one would be a fool enough to accuse the Furious Frey without good cause. Still, a bloodthirsty septon getting the crowd worked up to a frenzy? That doesn't seem right. What happened to Mother's mercy and redemption? Not that the raping scum doesn't deserve it, but still... I can't help but wonder if there was a more political motive involved. At least Ser Jorah can't be said to be collaborating with the Faith Militant.

Well, I hope Ser Jorah is up to the task. I don't doubt that Benjen Frey is out for more than 'proving' his innocence. He'll want revenge on anyone that stands or speaks out against him.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Watching the gods work (epilogue) (open) Empty Re: Watching the gods work (epilogue) (open)

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:25 pm

White hair, that skin colour, but still standing here with there rest of us, is he simply trying to blend in then?
"
Watching justice unfold I see? Who do you think will prevail? My name is Yoren."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:33 pm

"
I remember you. I stood against your brother in the Kinslaying trial, remember?"

He gestures towards his eye as he speaks.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:20 pm

"
Ah, that's a little awkward, but I cannot say that you did anything wrong, my father would have taken it, and more, himself. You might just have done him a favour. My father may show some mercy now. You were a good fighter, I remember who do you serve?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:37 pm

"
I agree, the punishment was... wanting. At current, I serve Lady Corrine Marsten, but I will soon be founding a new house in service to Lord Tomas Coldbrook."

Baelon observes the pass.

"
Clever of Ser Jorah to use a tourney lance, the extra reach was valuable. Risky though, as Ser Benjen might have kept his seat... I doubt that the Furious Frey would have been honorable enough to allow Ser Jorah to re-arm himself before charging again. Further, Ser Jorah must now decide whether to dismount or not. If he doesn't it might be seen as a dishonorable act, but if he does he risks leaving himself vulnerable to an attack while not fully able to defend himself. I wonder how he will chose - to risk a shadow to his honor, or to risk losing life or limb to a dishonorable strike?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:47 pm

"
Might be the reason you volunteered for Gorman? Serving Marsten and all? New house you say? Bannerman of the Coldbrooks? You will have work before you, but the results may be worth it."

"
It was dishonorable, but I suppose that chivalry is forgotten in life or death situations... I still think he'll dismount, frey was injured before the fight, even more so now... Jorah'll probably be the winner regarless of what he does, and it'll give him a good name as an honorable man, regardless of his intitial attack."

"
You joust as well?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:52 pm

"
Hm it doesnt seem like he is dismounting, getting his sword out and waiting. Hope he doesnt stain his reputation with this"
Kevan adds, stepping over to Yoren and Baelon. "
But than again, his opponent already proved he is not respecting any rules..."

Nodding towards the two, he asks:
"
Hope you two are well?"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:04 pm

Septon Arlyn stands in the crowd. Breath bated. He was hopping that Ser Jorah would win and that there would be an accident in the ring, or that he would take the option to become a man of the nights watch, anything to get him as far away from Brenna as possible. The poor girl testimony led the Septon to believe that she likely had suffered under the hands of that brute and Septon Arlyn wanted to make sure that she received adequate justice form this vile man. Having had to counsel people before he knew that the process of recovery was long and arduous. At least if this trial by combat is successful it may give those whom would think about attacking another person a pause. Knowing little of warfare on horseback he did not notice Ser Benjens dirty tactics nor why there was a murmur about Ser Jorah using a tournament lance. All he saw was the valiant defender of Brennas honor cause the vile knight to come crashing down in a dented bloody heap. Watching Jorah draw his sword Septon Arlyn cheered. "
Go get that traitor to his vows!"
Cries the Septon.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derrock Swann Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:34 pm

"
The dornishman has the duel on his hands."
Ser Derrock says, not too far from where Yoren and Baelon were standing. His face is a heavy-set scowl, watching intently the fight before them, but his voice isn't nearly as harsh today. "
Benjen is hardly in condition to fight, no matter his weapon or tactics. It's clear he tried to maim the horse rather than the rider... the tourney lance was a wise choice."

His eyes narrow, scanning Jorah for something. "
I'd heard about Ser Jorah Holt. It's interesting to see a man live up to his reputation."
He says curtly. "
Most do not."

Derrock Swann

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Corrine arrives, arm-in-arm with Ser Benedict, taking a seat and looking out over the crowd and the grounds anxiously.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:18 pm

Baelon nods in greeting to his liege lady and her consort-to-be, then continues with his conversation.

"
What confuses me is why the Furious Frey chose a joust trial at all. He is feared in melee more than he is in the joust... really, with their respective performances in the Joust event, it was a foolish choice. I can't help but wonder if someone has been giving him bad advice... or even manipulating him."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 pm

"
Unless he thought of initially unhorse his opponent by striking for the horse. Quite convenient then for Jorah his strange choice of weapon..."
Yoren sips a cup of tea in thought.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:46 pm

"
Even still... if Ser Jorah had been using a war lance, Ser Benjen might not have even been able to stand afterward. Most people can't when they have a small tree sticking through their chest. It did look to me like Benjen's lance was a little low... but even that would have been a huge mistake. Kill the horse, and a competent rider like Ser Jorah will simply leap clear, scarcely injured, if at all. It can be an effective, though dishonorable, tactic if your opponent is using a tourney lance and you expect to remain relatively unharmed, but he could not have known about Ser Jorah's odd choice in advance. No, overall he has made one self-defeating decision after another. Most men would not take such large risks with their most valued assets."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Yoren shrugs: "
It was a risk, but if Jorah had used an ordinary lance, Frey would simply have to stand one charge and his opponent would be unhorsed and befuddled while Benjen would be coming back charging into him with a tonne of flesh and armour. It could have worked."
Yoren shrugs again: "
Of course, you are probably more well versed in duelling and probably right."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:05 pm

"
Have you ever seen what happens to a man after one charge of a war lance? It is not a pretty sight. Imagine having a hole through your guts some six or eight inches across. Most do not survive a single hit. Now, it does not look to me like Benjen is trying to die... it looks like he is trying to win. So why make early choices more apt to end in death then victory? I've heard some unkind things about his mental faculties, but even if that is true I would be surprised that a seasoned warrior would make mistakes that the greenest of knights would avoid."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:12 pm

"
I'll have to defer to your better judgement there. However what is your explanation for his choice? A seasoned warrior wouldn't have chosen an inferior option unless he had a plan with it."

Turning back to the arena he adds
"
Regardless, the crowd seems to like it, whatever it is."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:26 pm

"
Hmph. Yes, well, there's bloodletting in the name of the gods. Why wouldn't the crowd enjoy it?"

He shakes his head. This was a mockery of justice whether or not Benjen was guilty.

"
As for the mistakes, usually when a man takes unreasonable risks there is a woman involved... but I don't think Ser Benjen would know love if it slapped him in the face. In this case I would say that for some reason he has come to the idea that it would work - but I doubt he would have come to that conclusion on his own. I would be curious to know who he has been speaking to these past few days... but not curious enough to stick my hand in a viper's nest. As far as I'm concerned, Ser Benjen deserves what punishment he will get - but it is the will of man at work here, not the will of the gods."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:38 pm

"
Ah, but do the Gods not guide the hands of men?"
Corrine interjects with a philosophical musing.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:42 pm

"
Aye, his own conclusion it is not. However, as you say, best to not get involved in it. What I'd like to know is how he convinced Benjen, as there seems to be few logical reasons to do so... In your assessment, who do you believe will win? Does Benjen have a chance? I heard he was injuried before the trial started, and it can't have gotten better by that lance to the chest."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Derrock Swann Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:44 pm

"
That they do, young Lady."
Ser Derrock nods, arms crossed. "
Still, they are right. Benjen's decisions have been unwise, even for him. It makes one wonder."

Glancing at the Ironborn, he lets out a small shrug. "
As I said, the Dornishman has the upper hand. The Frey moves as if injured, and does not seem on his right mind. Perhaps if he were fresh, the duel would be more even matched."

Derrock Swann

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:13 pm

"
Were the gods guiding Benjen Frey's actions when he assaulted that woman? Or the kinslayer's when he slew Yoren's brother? If so, would not their acts be holy? I think not."

Last edited by 111 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Derrock Swann wrote:"
That they do, young Lady."
Ser Derrock nods, arms crossed. "
Still, they are right. Benjen's decisions have been unwise, even for him. It makes one wonder."

Glancing at the Ironborn, he lets out a small shrug. "
As I said, the Dornishman has the upper hand. The Frey moves as if injured, and does not seem on his right mind. Perhaps if he were fresh, the duel would be more even matched."

Ben turns toward the man addressing Corrine. He quickly recognizes him. "
Ser Derrock. A pleasure to finally meet you. I am Ser Benedict Blackthorne. Congratulations on your performances this week. It is a shame this should be the event that finally brings us to meet."

Ben nods and gives a crooked grin at Baelon's words.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:34 pm

Baelon wrote:"
Were the gods guiding Benjen Frey's actions when he assaulted that woman? Or the kinslayer's when he slew Yoren's brother? If so, would not their acts be holy? I think not."

"
I did not say that the Gods are always just,"
Corrine replies, simply. "
And we cannot always know their workings and intents."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:47 pm

"
Regardless, Baelon is right in one thing: humans has had a hand in things, whether the gods watches or not. Your gods tend to side with the winning party, and Jorah seems to be winning this one. The question is: will frey surrender or will there be some lands up for the taking?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next