Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House Coldbrook Event - Extinguish the Faith Militant!

+4
Gwyneth Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson
Daveth Coldbrook
Reader
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

House Coldbrook Event - Extinguish the Faith Militant! - Page 2 Empty Re: House Coldbrook Event - Extinguish the Faith Militant!

Post by Loreia Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:05 pm

We decided to field the extra unit out of our own resources: veteran archers. Not sure if I want to fight Kyle Darry.

Is rolling Fighting a valid substitute for Warfare to command archers?

This map is a rough draft. The idea here is that we sort of hid while we feigned a retreat, and then jumped them when we got close.
Code:
| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
1 | | | | | | | | | | CC| | | | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|WAL|WAL|WAL|
2 | | | | | | | | | | | ||D||| ||| ||
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|WAL|---|---|
3 | | | | | | | | | | | DI||C|| | |
4 |_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _| | | | | | || || | |
5 | | | |_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _| | | || || | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|GAT|---|---|
6 | | | | | | |_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|| || | |
7 | | | | | | | | FI| | | || || | |
8 | | | | | | | | | | | PL|| || | |
---|---|---|---|WET|WET|WET|WET|---|---|---|---|WAL|---|---|
9 | | | | | | | | | | | || || | |
---|---|---|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|---|---|---|WAL|WAL|WAL|
10 | | | | | | | | | | FC| || ||| ||| ||
---|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|---|---|---|---|---|
11 | | | | | | | | | | | FA| | | |
---|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|---|---|---|
12 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
---|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|
13 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
---|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|
14 | | | | | | | | >
>
>
>
>
>
>

Each square is 10 yards - 10-by-10. Grid is 14x14, a full 140 square yards. Assume we go from 15 squares to 20 if soldiers try to leave range of archers.

Us...
Commanders: Garret, Jorah, Damian(NC), Loreia(maybe)
# - training, unit, affiliation (Discipline)
Various movements, accounting for starting bulk: Archers 40, Cavalry 60, Infantry 40, Levies 40

Our units
D - Veteran Archers, Drakeson (3)
C - Veteran Archers, Coldbrook (3)
CC - Elite Cavalry, Coldbrook (0)
DI - Infantry, Darry (6)

...Them
Commanders: Kyle Darry, Champion

Faith Militant
FA - Trained Archers
FC - Trained Cavalry
FI - Trained Infantry
PL - Green Levies(Peasants)

Terrain
I was going to plan this from the other side of the castle, where I was putting like a gajillion terrains(exagg), but logic says that the castle gate would be closest to the nearest "
highway"
. Since the enemy fell for our feint, they'll be going up to the gate directly, peasant levies first(the cravens). Therefore much less terrain clogging up the field. You're welcome!
WET - Wetlands
WAL - Wall(+1B Marksmanship † if on top of it?)
GAT - Gate of the castle + Wall
_ _ - Road
>
>
>
- River

† - versus low elevations
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

House Coldbrook Event - Extinguish the Faith Militant! - Page 2 Empty Re: House Coldbrook Event - Extinguish the Faith Militant!

Post by Reader Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:07 pm

[OOC: Thanks Loreia.

Even if your warfare isn't great, you can still attach as a subcommander to add +1D to your unit's Marksmanship &
Fighting.

No need to rush the decision on who (if anyone) faces Ser Kyle Darry.

Here's hoping your ambitious plan pays off - at least you guys pulled off the warfare rolls necessary. Smile ]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:05 pm

Well... with Arlyn gone, I don't think anyone's going to hire me, so I'd be available as champion &
subcommander... I don't really think any of the other houses would be interested in paying for my services.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Baelon wrote:Well... with Arlyn gone, I don't think anyone's going to hire me, so I'd be available as champion &
subcommander... I don't really think any of the other houses would be interested in paying for my services.

[OOC: true, and we'll have a Walton Dulver soon to cleave Ser Benjen.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Going to edit this into the House Fortunes, thread, but as it's relevant here: our veteran archers *do* have upgraded weapons from our weaponsmith.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Reader wrote:
Baelon wrote:Well... with Arlyn gone, I don't think anyone's going to hire me, so I'd be available as champion &

I was about to raise my hand, if I could bring my dog, but I'll give this new player a chance. Benjen and I both stand a good chance of getting slaughtered by each other as it is.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:54 pm

Loreia Merrgal wrote:
Reader wrote:

I was about to raise my hand, if I could bring my dog, but I'll give this new player a chance. Benjen and I both stand a good chance of getting slaughtered by each other as it is.

[OOC: hold that thought - very kind of you to consider our new players. Happy to have you step up to triumph/die if he doesn't fancy it. Dog very welcome.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:25 pm

Daveth Coldbrook wrote:Going to edit this into the House Fortunes, thread, but as it's relevant here: our veteran archers *do* have upgraded weapons from our weaponsmith.
Upgraded Fighting weapons or Marksmanship weapons? That makes a big difference...
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:02 am

Marksmanship. I didn't even consider the possibility of upgrading Fighting weapons.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:47 am

Daveth Coldbrook wrote:Marksmanship. I didn't even consider the possibility of upgrading Fighting weapons.
It's technically an option, and in OoSP they draw a distinction between a weaponsmith and bowy er so I figured I ought not make any assumptions. Good to know, should House Drakeson seek an artisan/smith in the future.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:52 pm

Right, time to set up champion fight and warfare. Feel free to confirm/correct the stats for your archers on your turn, Baelon. I can issue orders for Damian, I'm assuming Knight of Quality stats. I went through the section again, and it seems combat rounds are only necessary when characters go out of their way to start small-scale combat, which is a load off my mind.

We're not starting just yet, I want this champion out of the way first.
Champion
[can be challenged to 1v1 combat before the Warfare rules kick in, if not he attaches to a unit, giving it +1D to Fighting/Marksmanship tests]
Ser Kyle Darry: Agility 3, Athletics 4, Endurance 4, Fighting 5, Will 3. Weapon Mastery (Battleaxe). Brigandine Armour, Shield.
CD: 7
AR: 8
Health: 12

I've so got this. He's mine. Jorah has this thing with Faith Militant(or that's the impression I got), so I'll give him a chance to speak up, but this is me saying "
let me at 'im"

Upgrades, stats+derived, and attaching
I've included the Grenward Pinpointers' Marksmanship weapon upgrade, that's the only upgrade I think? I hope I'm doing this right. I've provided all ability stats and derived stats I can, it's really now down to getting this champion out of the way and having every non-attached commander(attached cavalry commander included) to roll up initiative. No one's been attached to the Cavalry yet, but Jorah could plausibly attach and still issue commands per special note under cavalry on page 111. Garret's is the commander because he has 1B Strategy over Jorah, unless Jorah's invested points in Warfare. You wanna control Garrett, Jorah?

Allied leadership
Unit names: Pinpointers are Coldbrook Archers. Caladan are Drakeson Archers, the Caladan Longbowmen. Riverroad are Coldbrook Cavalry, the Riverroad Riders.
Command: 1 commander Jorah(Commander, Riverroad), subcommander Baelon(Caladan), subcommander Damian(Darry)
Heroes: Kieran(Riverroad), Loreia(Darry), Garrett(Pinpointers)
Allied troops
RR- Riverroad: Kieran attach(+1D Fight) - Agility 4, Animal Handle 4, Fighting 6, Move 6, CD 5, AR 5, Health 6, Dmg 7, Discipline 0
P - Pinpointers: Weapons upgrade(+1 Dmg), Garret attached(Disc -3, Marks +1D) - Agility 4, Marksmanship 6, Move 4, CD 13, AR 2, Health 6, Dmg 7, Discipline 3
C - Caladan: - Agility 5, Marksmanship 4, Move 4, CD 14, AR 2 , Health 6, Dmg 7, Discipline 6
DI - Darry Infantry: Loreia attach(Disc -3, Fight +1D) - Move 4, CD 5, AR 3, Health 9, Dmg 4, Fighting 4, Athletics 3, Endurance 3, Discipline 3
Opposing leadership
Faith Militant - Warfare 3: Ser Steffon
Opposing troops:
FA - Archers: Marksmanship 4, Agility 3, Discipline 6
FC - Cavalry: Fighting 4, Animal Handling 3, Discipline 6
FI - Infantry: Athletics 3, Fighting 3, Endurance 3, Discipline 6
FL - Peasant Levies: Awareness 3, Discipline 9

Code:
| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N |
1 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
2 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
3 | | | | | | | | | | | DI| | | |
4 |_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _| | | | | | | | RR| |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|WAL|WAL|WAL|
5 | | | |_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _| | | ||C||| ||| ||
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|GAT|---|---|
6 | | | | | | |_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _||P|| | |
---|---|---|---|---|HIL|---|---|---|---|---|---|WAL|WAL|WAL|
7 | | | | ( ( | | FI| | | || ||| ||| ||
---|---|HIL|HIL|HIL|HIL|HIL|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
8 | ( ( ( ( ( ( | | | | PL| | | |
---|---|---|HIL|HIL|HIL|HIL|HIL|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
9 | | ( ( ( ( ( ( | | | | | | |
---|---|---|---|HIL|HIL|HIL|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
10 | | | ( ( ( ( | | | FC| | | | |
---|---|---|---|---|HIL|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
11 | | | | ( ( | | | | | FA| | | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|
12 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
---|---|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|
13 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
---|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|WET|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|>
>
>
|
14 | | | | | | | | >
>
>
>
>
>
>

Each square is 10 yards. Grid is 14x14.

HIL - Hills
WET - Wetlands
WAL - Wall(+1B Marksmanship versus low elevations
GAT - Gate of the castle + Wall
_ _ - Road
>
>
>
- River

Last edited by 129 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:03 am

Just to be sure that I am reading that correctly:
With 4 units, we can have 1 commander and 2 subcommanders. that would be Jorah, Baelon, and Damian respectively.
Kieran, Loreia, and Garrett are heroes.

If you are going to take on the champion, let me check again if anyone wants to hire me... did we ever hear back from the Walton Dulver player?

A quick note - no matter how big it is on the map, as a small(?) castle we can only have 3 units in Castle Grenward (more and higher defense if it is a regular castle, give you recently started an upgrade I know it's not a superior castle)

Caladan Longbowmen
Veteran Archers
5 Agility, 4 marksmanship
Discipline TN 6

With a hero attached and in Castle Grenward (+6 def), that would be
Base order difficulty: 3
Marksmanship Attack: 5d6, 7 damage per DoS
Defense 14, AR 2;
Health 6
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:31 am

Baelon wrote:Just to be sure that I am reading that correctly:
With 4 units, we can have 1 commander and 2 subcommanders. that would be Jorah, Baelon, and Damian respectively.
Kieran, Loreia, and Garrett are heroes.

If you are going to take on the champion, let me check again if anyone wants to hire me... did we ever hear back from the Walton Dulver player?

A quick note - no matter how big it is on the map, as a small(?) castle we can only have 3 units in Castle Grenward (more and higher defense if it is a regular castle, give you recently started an upgrade I know it's not a superior castle)

Caladan Longbowmen
Veteran Archers
5 Agility, 4 marksmanship
Discipline TN 6

With a hero attached and in Castle Grenward (+6 def), that would be
Base order difficulty: 3
Marksmanship Attack: 5d6, 7 damage per DoS
Defense 14, AR 2;
Health 6

Changes to the following thead: viewtopic.php?f=161&
t=1537&
start=30#p41225

Stats have been changed. Map is changed, unit initials have been changed. I've shrunken the castle to better represent the limited space on the wall. Castle Grenward is in fact a small castle. One of our units on the ground could possibly suffer serious damage and have to retreat through the gate. That's acceptable though, I don't think we'll have to worry about having to pick between the cavalry or the infantry if they both take a lot of abuse.

And then, I added hills. Wanted to give the other guys a sporting chance, I mean it looked a little one-sided before. Plus, I think I'm having fun playing around with the grid and throwing terrain around. I wonder if there's a way to make the squares bigger. Probably have to go double or nothing.
EDIT: Oh my god you totally can! Oh I'm so excited! The possibilities!
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:38 pm

It looks good, but the idea with the cavalry was to make the Faith Militant believe they weren't around. that way they could surprise the enemy with their appearance. Their speed means they could be in hiding and still be able to attack.

Jorah does hate the Faith Militant, but he's happy for Loreia to face their champion as he'll be destroying the rest of their forces with your help.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Grid change
Gotcha. We'll have the Riverroad Riders start at M4 then, so that they are concealed by the castle walls. Could we consider them Concealed at the beginning of the battle?

Scene setup: Basically, the archers are "
hiding"
on the wall. The Faith Militant units move in and see Darry Infantry on the approach. They'll feel confident until the Riverroad Riders follow orders to rush out and attack.

We can still put the battle on hold after I face the champion, while you wait on a response from the new Walton Dulver player. He's been around cruising the forums, Probably trying to get situated, maybe trying work around the fact that we had a previous player for the character who went silent months ago. That guy still has an entry in the Cast thread. Reader's probably helping him out.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:48 am

OOC: Time to fight the champion. We can worry about whether Baelon's present later.

Equip: breastplate, superior shield, superior bastard sword
Note to self: must reforge breastplate

Loreia strides forward from the Darry line, her step invigorated by the morning breeze. "
Kyle Darry! Come forth, answer for your crimes against the realm, and those of your zealous remnants! Prove you are a man of honor and meet my challenge!"

[url=Initiatve vs Kyle Darry - offseason1 house event][/url]: 4d6k3-1 8

CD 11
AR 7
Health 15

Place Kyle Darry
Code:
| A | B | C | D | E | F | G |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
1 | | | | | | | |
2 | | | | | | | |
3 | | | | | | | |
4 | | | | | | | |
5 | | | | | | | |
6 | | | | L | | | |
7 | | | | | | | |
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:32 am

(OOC - out for much of the day card gaming, so any help stepping in appreciated!)
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Loriea, happy to help if you want.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:10 pm

(OOC update: Ser Baelon is present, though he's fine with you doing the duel;
the Riverroad riders are not present, being mercd out to House Dulver.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:25 am

Oh darn. Well, guess we'll have to rely heavily on the archers. Is Jorah staying with us? Ben, go ahead and roll for Kyle.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:55 am

Ser Kyle Derry
[url=Initiative vs Loreia][/url]: 3d6 11
CD 7
AR 8
Health 12
F/I/W: 0/0/0
Damage: 6
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:30 am

(OOC: Alright, so, while Loreia's still administering her righteous beatdown, those with more War experience than me: since we don't have the Riverroad Riders, should Daveth (reluctantly) request the Green cavalry from House Blackwood? The only melee units we have are the Darry infantry. Even with the castle walls, I'm feeling a little exposed.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:13 am

If we ignore the peasants we have even numbers, plus a (small) edge in orders per round.
If we pull the infantry inside the walls, their cavalry will be next to useless unless the gate is battered down - we should be able fill them full of arrows before then. The infantry scaling the walls are a bigger threat, but it takes time - in the form of an extra order:
Core rulebook, pg 177 (bold added) wrote:Fortifications are any constructed terrain that interferes with Movement and provides cover. <
snip>
Moving through an area containing a fortification requires an order—scale the walls, cross the moat, and so on.
So an order to get to the wall and an order to scale... then a third to actually attack.

Alternately leave the Darry Infanry where they are to keep the faith militant away from the gate, and include the engineers in the fight. They might be able to reinforce the gate or something if the Faith Militant try to break it down. Regardless, having a fourth unit means a second subcommander so yet another order. That could be quite useful.

In short(too late), I don't think we need any more outside help... we just need to use the resources we have effectively.

[size=85:1qbp2mdk]EDIT: Fixed quote markup.

Last edited by 111 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:13 am

(OOC - recommend starting the warfare now and effectively run it in parallel with Loreia'a personal combat)
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:13 pm

"
Ah, so the send you out to fight us, as the castle is undefended! The may call you Shieldmaiden, but our arms are truely blessed by the Seven!"
, the knight growls, before lifting his Sword and charging the She-Warrior.

[url=Charge Loreia][/url]: 5d6k4 17 = 2 DoS*8 Damage = 16 - 7 = 9

Ser Kyle Derry
Initiative vs Loreia: 3d6 11
CD 7
AR 8
Health 12
F/I/W: 0/0/0
Damage: 6
Spend Fatigue if attacked / knocked down

(whoever is online, when Loreia made her move, feel free to continue piloting Kyle, I don't see a reason, why it has to be just one person playing his side)

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next