Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D6:MM]The Storm before the Calm before the Storm (closed)

4 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

[D6:MM]The Storm before the Calm before the Storm (closed) - Page 5 Empty Re: [D6:MM]The Storm before the Calm before the Storm (close

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:22 am

"
As long as you word the report to reflect what is actually known and can be demonstrated, then I will not protest. Things are bad enough without getting conjecture and fact confused. Show the gold as evidence, but if we're giving Aemond control over it, let Jorah use his good favour to suggest redustribution to the repair efforts. If Aemond is well-disposed towards him, it may prove persuasive. If not, well, I suppose there's nothing we can do. House Marsten will also help financially, but that gold would be a great boon to those who need it most.

I'll see if I can meet Lady Kerry. I did hear of her behaviour, which was, I must admit, rather off-putting. I intend to speak with both Lord Haig and Ser Myles later today, so I will feel out their positions on such matters. Blackwoods &
Brackens are already related, and it has not ended their feud, so I confess that I am skeptical. But, stranger things have happened, so it isn't impossible that it may temporarily calm hostilities, which is the best we can realistically hope for. Perhaps we can use a lull to work on fostering ongoing civility, so that future issues might be worked out peacefully, rather than jumping straight to violence.

As for the second attack at Pennytree, I know you blame Ser Theomore. There is no need to be oblique. You can be honest with us. I also think he is deeply suspicious, and not just for that, but there is little I can do without evidence but have him watched for now, and I have done that. Please understand that I am not taking your accusations lightly. If he is guilty, I want his guilt to come to light, but unless you can provide me with at least one witness who will testify, or some other hard evidence, then I cannot detain him. I am sorry, but if I just arrest someone because you told me I should, it will be disastrous for us both."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D6:MM]The Storm before the Calm before the Storm (closed) - Page 5 Empty Re: [D6:MM]The Storm before the Calm before the Storm (close

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:21 am

Gwyneth shook her head. "
No, don't arrest him. He hasn't left evidence of the sort we can use for direct action. He's far too experienced for that. Theomore's day is coming, and the wheels to bring it to him are already in motion. All we need do is watch him and move to counter him here and now. Limit the damage he can do to the best of our ability. I mean to keep an eye on him...and you will want to do the same. As long as we keep ourselves informed of his plots, that will be enough for now."

With a sigh, she added, "
As for Kerry, you're definitely the right person. Her history with Baelon would poison the well if I tried to speak with her, I'm sure."

"
And I agree on the matter of the coin. We'll present our findings to the Prince, just as they are, and let that entire mess pass on to people who's job it is to worry about things like that. We've our hands full with much smaller problems...thank the Seven."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:23 am

Corrine nods in agreement.

"
Indeed. I think a large part of my becoming overwhelmed has come from trying to do too much by myself. Handing responsibility upwards for the larger matters still allows us to fulfill our remit. If we can address each matter on the list we were given, then none can reasonably say that we did not do our jobs."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:56 am

Gwyn chuckled. "
A surprising amount of leadership consists of knowing when, and to whom, to give one's own work to, it seems. That's still something I sometimes struggle with at Caladan Hall, though I've been fortunate to find competent and knowledgeable citizens to take care of some of the busy-work."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:58 am

Corrine smiles. It is restrained, still embarrassed, but it reaches her eyes, warm and genuine.

"
We live and learn, I suppose. I'm sure we shall all get better, with time and practice."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:35 pm

"
Arresting Theomore might be exactly what we ought to do... but it would have to be done right."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Gwyn looks curiously at Baelon.

"
What do you have in mind? It seems to me we haven't got anything we can pin onto him publically."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Baelon shrugs.
"
I don't really have a plan in mind. It's just that we already know that merely watching him is ineffective, so if we want to have any hope of containing him, more significant measures need to be taken."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:00 pm

"
But watching him will tell us what he's up to,"
Gwyn explains. "
And when we know that, we can take action to negate it. Right now we're operating in the dark."

She considers for a moment, then muses, "
But we might...try to lure him into something unwise."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:22 pm

"
I don't want either of you to put yourselves in unnecessary danger,"
Corrine said quietly, feeling uneasy.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Gwyn shakes her head. "
No no, it shouldn't be dangerous. I'm thinking of the innkeeper, Alun. Suppose Theomore were to learn that he's alive, and in our custody being held in secret. And if he were to learn where exactly that was..."

She glances at Baelon. "
I'd think he'd want to make sure that Alun couldn't reveal what he knows. Not publically at least. There's not much he could do personally, but...whoever he had kill the Pennytree witness might make another appearance."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:37 pm

"
Perhaps, though there is a big difference between attacking a lone merchant and breaking into a guarded encampment to kill a prisoner... but perhaps in transit? Say, to Dragonstone? Ser Theomore might be able to spin a story about his activities here being for the Princess somehow... and given his history with the Prince he might even get away with it. If Alun is interrogated by the Prince, though, Theomore's story would be obviously false. If he hears about us sending Alun to Dragonstone, he would have to act. Nowhere would be safe for him, otherwise."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:47 pm

Gwyn nods slowly, warming to the idea. "
And if secrecy was paramount, then there'd be no massive armed procession. A few men at arms, and a small carriage. Something one skilled man could quite plausibly overcome. And it would make sense that we wouldn't commit a large number of troops give the situation here."

"
But how to drizzle this information to him in a way he'll trust?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:49 pm

Corrine looks between them with anxious eyes.

"
Do you think that would work? It would require very careful control of information. If that became a rumour, and you were asked about it, that could become tricky. I'm not saying no, I hasten to add. I just want to make sure that, if you want to set this test, that it can be done successfully without risking your lives or reputations."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:24 am

With a wave of her hand, Gwyn dismissed the concerns. "
There's virtually no risk to us. It's not like we actually HAVE Alun here. But his body was never identified, so it's plausible that he was somehow spirited out in time. Theomore might be dubious, but it would also be a risk he simply couldn't afford to ignore. But if word leaked to other ears, and we were confronted with it, well...denial is simple enough when the truth is so easily demonstratable."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:49 am

An odd look crosses Baelon's face at his wife's comment, but quickly passes.

"
Well then, as we are more or less in agreement on the issues, there is one favor I would ask. Your guards... I know why you put them on me, and that you did not intend them to interfere with our investigations... but the truth is that they do. They are an ever-present indicator that you do not trust me. Or at least, that is how they are perceived. I see it in the eyes of the people I talk to. The way that people look at me, and the guards... they seem think 'If House Marsten doesn't trust him, why should I?'. People are more fearful of me, as if I might suddenly decide to kill them for no reason. If people do not trust in me, they do not speak honestly."

He frowns slightly.

"
No matter what you think of my actions at the mines, you must at least recognize that my actions were the product of the situation, and that such a situation is unlikely to arise again?. Surely, the guards are no longer necessary?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Corrine exhales a little heavily, thinking on the request. When she replies, her voice is somewhat subdued.

"
I was trying to encourage caution, but I did not wish to impede our work. I will recall my guardsmen. However, the incident still lost us a witness who could potentially have helped us prevent the wildfire attack. While I appreciate that was not your intent, it could still be considered negligence of a sort. I still feel that, if you want your name truly cleared, there has to be a separate judgement.
If nothing else, withdrawing the guardsmen will be enough to undermine me without also dissolving the tribunal. It can wait until after tomorrow, if it must, but, for both of our sakes, please let the tribunal at least talk the matter over and give me a recommendation. I chose them because I believe wholeheartedly that they are good and just men. I expect that they will acquit you swiftly. As much as I still believe that your approach escalated the situation unnecessarily, Athelstan still chose to rise to it, and to jump. That is an important distinction which will go in your favour. Even if the tribunal rules that you have some culpability, I will recommend leniency to Daveth. I think you have learned from the experience, and that is not to be discounted."

She then looks more purposefully at Baelon.

"
I have only one more condition. That please, if ever again I tell you that violence is not necessary, please believe me."

Her eyes were genuinely beseeching, her hands clasped tightly and earnestly in her lap as she leans forward a little.

"
The battles we already fight are enough, without making more."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:44 am

The barest hint of a smile tugs at the corner of Baelon's mouth as he recalls a similar conversation he had with Daveth.

"
I understand your desire for peace. I truly do. I may have made a reputation as a warrior, but only fools and madmen desire battle for it's own sake, or for the sake of glory. However, I am a warrior, trained to identify threats, and a knight, sworn to defend against such threats. You may have felt that the threat of violence was not necessary, but I could not in good conscience let Athelstan simply leave. He was too dangerous - an Ironborn raider, a hardened killer, a kinslayer;
beyond that we had no way to know that he did not have the wildfire. After exposing his treachery, had he been free to leave I feared what he might do with it - with our history I could not be sure he would not use it against me, or worse, Gwyn, especially given that she is..."

He cuts himself off.

"
That you did not see the threat he presented is precisely what concerns me. You are a good person, and you see good in people - but you do not always see their darkness. That is a credit to your better nature, but dangerous in a world of treachery and deceit. If I feel that I must use force of arms to defend those I care about - which includes you - I will not hesitate to do so. Even if you do not see the threat, and implore me not to."

He sighs.

"
I will stand before your tribunal - I feel it is unnecessary, but if that is what is needed to put this behind us, then so be it."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:59 am

"
Baelon,"
Corrine said, as gently as she could muster. "
I never said to let Athelstan go free. I wanted him detained and questioned too. But, had I known of the threat, I could have gotten him to come peacefully. He'd have listened to me. You don't seem to realise how much you were the wrong person to confront him, after his trial by combat. I would have gladly helped to arrest him if you'd only come to me first and let me speak to him."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:37 am

Gwyn starts to open her mouth, instinctively wanting to come to Baelon's defense...but with visible effort she closes it again and lets her husband speak for himself.

She wouldn't be able to step in for him at the tribunal...if he couldn't convince Corrine, then it was a good indication that they needed to work on their story.
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:07 am

"
Do you really think that he would have listened to you? He once told me - Ben was there, it was during the archery contest in Riverrun - he once told me that he bore me no ill will about the trial. I do believe he was more angry at you and at House Tullison - though I was never sure why he blamed them."

He shakes his head.

"
Athelstan was a rabid dog. He would speak fair one day and try to kill you the next, then smile as if nothing had happened."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:41 am

"
Nevertheless, I still honestly believe I could have gained his co-operation in that moment. I would have at least appreciated the chance to try. It's not like it would have been hard to run him down like a dog if I failed. But we'll never know now,"
she adds, with a dry finality.

"
As for the tribunal, I won't make you stand in front of them so formally. I would like the matter dealt with swiftly, and with minimal fuss while still observing the spirit of the procedure. They'll discuss the matter amongst themselves, ask whatever questions of witnesses they must. They will inform me of their decision, then we will officially present it to you. We can do the latter part at the Marsten pavilion, over a couple of hours at the most, in private. I am not going to make a spectacle. I'll probably be accused of extending preferential treatment by Ser Theomore, among others, which I wanted very much to avoid, but I simply no longer have the energy to squabble about it."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:21 am

"
The tribunal will come after the treaty then, yes?"
Gwyn asks. "
If the accusations fly, at least let them fly at a thing that's already signed."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:43 am

"
Unless you would rather have it dealt with later today, yes. It's not relevant to the peace treaty itself, so it is not as time sensitive."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 pm

"
If he had gotten to his horse, we may not have been able to catch him. You may recall from the tourney joust that he is a far better horseman than most Ironborn. The only attack made was to prevent that. If he had stood down, had disarmed himself and consented to a tribunal like the one you have set for me, he would be alive today. No, he had no intention of living for the truth to be outed. It was his own inescapable shame at his utter failures that led him to kill himself. That I was the one that forced him to face those failures was coincidental. Had you ordered Ser Markus to bind Athelstan for interrogation, it would have likely have ended the same way."

He waves his hand, dismissing the notion of having the tribunal that day.

"
No, Gwyn is correct. As much as I would like this done and behind us, it would only serve to disrupt the our work here. Best to save it for after."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D6:MM]The Storm before the Calm before the Storm (closed) - Page 5 Empty Re: [D6:MM]The Storm before the Calm before the Storm (closed)

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next